Cycling Short-What do you wear for winter? Because I need help :)

Blackkeys

Nov 2, 2010
Hey everyone...
Winter is coming, but my need to cycle doesn't change whether is -10°C or +30°C...
The thing is, last year I was freezing because I had terrible cottong shorts, and I wanted to know what you guys wore
because, I'm tired of not even being able to feel my thighs while I'm cycling..
I was surfing online and i saw a couple of websites:
http://www.bikecyclingreviews.com/warm_clothing.html
and this one
http://www.twenga.com/price-gel-cycling-shorts.html
I've never actully heard of gel cycling shorts... but hey there's always a first time for something!
Is it any good?

I hope you guys can help me out

Have a great day :)

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong

For some reason I am having a problem pasting a link to a good thread for you to start with. Just go to the top of the home page and check out the feature thread "How cold and wet does it have to be before you cancel a bike ride". There is a lot of discussion about weather related issues that may help you out. As far as gel cycling shorts go I find the chamois shorts to be more comfortable and they wick moisture better. Welcome aboard cyclingforums.
Dave

I bought a pair of gel shorts this spring. I used to ride in cutoffs, but, I'm getting older.
They're not bad, but, I think there's too much bulk. They start annoying me at about 20 Mi (on a hybrid).

For cooler weather, I just bought a pair of Gore long pants (lack of better term). I rode about 14 mi. at 50 degree with about 10-15 mph winds. My legs felt fine. They have a windproof fabric on the front of the leg, but the back still breaths.
My next task, of course, is to get something for the top half.

so, back to the question, I suppose it depends on how hardcore, and what kind of gear they have. I've seen people on bikes when I don't want to step outside to get the mail. Since I've ridden motorcycles in a tropical storm and been warm and dry, I suspect their gear is up to the task.

hmm thanks for the suggestions of the Gore long pants.. I'll try them and I'll get back to you!
Thanks again for everything guys...

And btw the other day it was pourring freezing rain and I saw this lady in a tiny skirt and sleevless shirt just riding along, like nothing was happening.... everybody was running around trying to flee the rain... hmm some people are just strange..

hmm thanks for the suggestions of the Gore long pants.. I'll try them and I'll get back to you!
Thanks again for everything guys...

And btw the other day it was pourring freezing rain and I saw this lady in a tiny skirt and sleevless shirt just riding along, like nothing was happening.... everybody was running around trying to flee the rain... hmm some people are just strange..