cycling shorts/bibs too many choices.

stevek

Sep 27, 2003
I daily commute is about 42 minutes one way and about 20 the other. Right now I am wearing Jeans and I was getting crotch rub where my leg joins.
Now I am heavy at about 255 right now. I am slowly loosing weight but it limits what I can find that will fit. My waste is about 42 but the rest makes me need a 44 I think.
I was after something that would help but that I did not have to change out of. I tired REI’s padded brief skins but they made my butt burn. Too care of the side rub though. I have some boxer briefs that I noticed did not have a seam In the middle and they help. Not sure if the leg burn will come back or not. I will need a few more days of riding to make sure.
Also with loosing weight my sit bones have less padding.
Now I was thinking about getting some bib’s as I doubt shorts will stay up. There are so many types I have no clue what ones to get. I don’t have much to spend either. I don’t sweat much in the crotch on the ride so would I have to wash them every day? And if so should I invest in a pair for every day as I can afford it? I don’t see many that have real chamois cloth in them.
Here are a few I found on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3628845485&category=22687
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3629096861&category=22687
I know the ones I got at REI had coolmax padding or atleast the outside and inside were made from it. I did not like the feel of it and it was pilling after one days use.

Originally posted by stevek
I daily commute is about 42 minutes one way and about 20 the other. Right now I am wearing Jeans and I was getting crotch rub where my leg joins.
Now I am heavy at about 255 right now. I am slowly loosing weight but it limits what I can find that will fit. My waste is about 42 but the rest makes me need a 44 I think.
I was after something that would help but that I did not have to change out of. I tired REI’s padded brief skins but they made my butt burn. Too care of the side rub though. I have some boxer briefs that I noticed did not have a seam In the middle and they help. Not sure if the leg burn will come back or not. I will need a few more days of riding to make sure.
Also with loosing weight my sit bones have less padding.
Now I was thinking about getting some bib’s as I doubt shorts will stay up. There are so many types I have no clue what ones to get. I don’t have much to spend either. I don’t sweat much in the crotch on the ride so would I have to wash them every day? And if so should I invest in a pair for every day as I can afford it? I don’t see many that have real chamois cloth in them.
Here are a few I found on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3628845485&category=22687
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3629096861&category=22687
I know the ones I got at REI had coolmax padding or atleast the outside and inside were made from it. I did not like the feel of it and it was pilling after one days use.

:eek: For Godssake, man, good thing you're getting out of those jeans!

You made one really important point, first off; butt-padding is a personal thing. No two butts are alike. I've never owned either of the makes listed in those Ebay links; they may or may not be good choices.

There are a few key brands that make excellent, widely used and appreciated padded shorts and tights -- Castelli, Pearl Izumi, and Louis Garneau are easy to find at most bike shops, local or online. Those companies tend to put a lot of market-driven research and gimmickery into comming up with increasingly ergonomic and comfy chamois/pads.

If your butt is giving you hell, perhaps you should consider the rule of thumb which says, "don't mess around when it comes to your crotch -- buy the nicest shorts you can find." Here's a nice, sturdy Pearl Izumi bib from Performance Bikes. It's not the cheapest, but it should work well for most rear ends.

As far a washing is concerned; well, that's everyone's own dirty secret. Literally. Sweat is one thing; the fact that the short's padding is mashed hard into some pretty, uh, interesting areas for sustained periods of time suggests you're best off washing them as often as you can, whether that's every time or every third time. In the end, you can get away with what you can get away with. It's a function of your own microbiological profile and your personal sense of funk.

Better off ending up with at least 2 or 3 pairs if you're commuting daily. Good luck!

Except for the chafing the short ride jeans were not too bad. I mean I would not do a long ride in them.
I hate messing with clothes and don't like the idea of changing pants when I get to work. I have to transfer my PDA my phone and other junk. My jeans are so simple (G) I wash having to change my tee shirt because of sweat but a better backpack took care of that.
I also will look pretty bad in tights (G) not that I am worried about fashion.

I hear ya, I hear ya. You have to force yourself to embrace the fashion, know what I mean? Few people look great in the tights. Even fewer have good feelings about it before they switch over.

Convenience wise, you get a system going. I get to my desk first, unload the things I'll need after I change, go wash up/change, come back and it's all here. No biggie. You get used to it. After a 45 minute ride, an extra 3 minutes of fumbling around ain't so bad.

Another thing to consider -- you can wear padded lycra gear underneath your pants if you'll feel less self-conscious. They won't be quite as effective, but still, you'll have that second-skin effect with the lycra and the asspadding/moisture wicking effect of the chamois. It's worth it.

Good luck there, ok? You can DO IT!

if it works I may wear it under. then it is easier then fumbling all my junk (G) Iwas hoping some of the padded riding underware would work but it is not made outof the right matierals. I am nto worried abo ut looks really.
when I used to wear it I got laughed at a few tiems at stoplights. till I left the cars in my dust as I powered accross the road. I have very powerful caves and and can really get the bike up and running fast (G)

You'd get laughed at? I don't suppose I've ever lived in a place where cyclists weren't a common sight... I can't conceive of drivers giving me a second glance, even if I'm fully geeked out. Don't divulge where you live... I don't want to know...

Anyways, screw them. They're morons if they can't grasp the basic live-and-let-wear ethics of moving around in public places, and besides, you're the one with the healthy, environmentally sound, romantic and adventerous hobby.

I think they laugh because I am not skinny guy on a bike. I laugh at them because they can't ride like I can (G)

Originally posted by stevek
I think they laugh because I am not skinny guy on a bike. I laugh at them because they can't ride like I can (G)
A couple of months after you start wearing lycra you will not give a s*** what people think. Comfort is what counts. In this case pain is not gain.

Agreed. I've seen some big guys decked out in lycra, and they look badass and happy because they're capable, comfortable riders. Sorry you've got some losers in your area; in the end, you're the guy with the disciplined (if not petite) body.

Do your bum a favor - get at least two pair of the absolute best quality bib shorts you can possibly bear to spend the money on (I like Castelli, but other brands are also good), hand rinse them after every ride and machine wash every 3-4 rides (let them drip dry), and apply chamois creme directly to 'the skin' before each ride. Do this and not only will your rides be supremely comfortable, but you'll never have saddle sores/skank issues to deal with.

If you can't stand the look, wear regular pants over them - but really, the extra 'support' that bibs offer can be quite flattering!

I will get the money somewhere. I want to ride more and thats what is stopping me.
I got a fantastic deal on the bike shoes and pedals. but I have not had any spare money to buy other things besides the lock hemlet and otehr needed items.

wel lI had an extra sale today and went to the bike shop. there were only three choices in my size. one brand for 109 I did not reconize another I have seen that has the temp regulating crotch and the had the Assos Prosline Bib Shorts on clearence 50.00 off. so I said what the hell. After looking at them on the web they seem to be one of the top brands but they have comments about pilling and wearing out too soon. bummer. but I hope to undergrow them before I wear them out.
I bought some Chamois cream too. I had a little chafing where leg and croth meet but hope that goes way after a few times riding with them. otehr then that I felt better.

Assos is a slick brand. BugMan's advice (buying a few pairs of the absolute highest-end bibs/shorts you can afford) is sound, and it looks like you're taking it. Ride on!

now I just need mroe money (G) need a good rain jacket and fenders. but I only have one choice as my bike is a racing bike and most fenders don't fit.