Cycling Shorts for Fat Guys

dartssnake

May 13, 2004
I have had Gastric Bypass Surgery and am down to 350 pounds, got the bike (Raleigh SC40) with a wider seat for my wider ass LOL.

In a few short weeks, I have been able to go as much as 8.5 miles at a time, and, while I doubted my dedication, at the beginning, the joys of riding have made me somewhat of a fanatic.

My question has been driving me crazy for some days...

Where does an overweight person go to buy good shorts for cycling?

I have been using light nylon swim trunks (the kind with a mesh liner and drawstring) and was wondering if there were any other options for us big guys (and gals!), along the lines of baggy MTB shorts or the like? Even standard cycling shorts that one could wear under loose, light, nylon/lycra...

Any help would be appreciated, and if you don't feel like posting here, my e-mail address is:

[email protected]

Many thanks, in advance

Dale

try a search on Google with the key words:

Cycling shorts
Bike shorts
Bicycling shorts
XXXL
3XL
4XL.... etc.

ExcelSports.com, Amazon (Bike Nashbar, BikeSomeWhere, longcycle), REI.com have some.

First off, congrats on making the dedication not just to lose weight but to be fit. I did this about 3 months ago and I started at 340 lbs and am down to about 315. Dietary as well as activity changes were made and I'm doing well. I've not felt this good in YEARS. :cool:

I too have thought this, my wife teases me endlessly :rolleyes: when I mention I want to get spandex or lycra shorts for biking, as I understand they are much more comfortable.

I am going to try just a pair of boxers (with the fronts sewn shut, its the only thing I've never liked about boxers) just some plain cotton ones with a pair of comfortable shorts. I'm doing a 20 mile ride this weekend and will let you know how it goes :D

Take care! If you want to correspond privately about this, I'd be happy to share experiences back and forth and we can encourage each other to KEEP GOING! Private Message me :)

Originally posted by dartssnake
I have had Gastric Bypass Surgery and am down to 350 pounds, got the bike (Raleigh SC40) with a wider seat for my wider ass LOL.

In a few short weeks, I have been able to go as much as 8.5 miles at a time, and, while I doubted my dedication, at the beginning, the joys of riding have made me somewhat of a fanatic.

My question has been driving me crazy for some days...

Where does an overweight person go to buy good shorts for cycling?

I have been using light nylon swim trunks (the kind with a mesh liner and drawstring) and was wondering if there were any other options for us big guys (and gals!), along the lines of baggy MTB shorts or the like? Even standard cycling shorts that one could wear under loose, light, nylon/lycra...

Any help would be appreciated, and if you don't feel like posting here, my e-mail address is:

[email protected]

Congratulations and continued success, I had Gastric Bypass R & Y on March 6th 2003, in 14 months since (and THOUSANDS of miles) I have now lost over 200 pounds and am right at the 200lb mark (now awaiting cosmetic surgery to remove roughly 20 lbs of skin). Tommorrow I will ride my first road race in Michigan Cat. 5 (I have ridden a few crits and been dumped by the pack, dont expect big things tommorrow but hope to finish 31 mile course in under 2 hours).
Do What you can and be very proud, Be Obsessed and marveel at the change, you deserve it!!! At around 325 pounds I was able to comfortably fit into Pearl Izumi Quest cycling shorts, you will be there in no time flat and they come in XXL, order a pair and make your goal to fit into them. Before you know it they will be to big for you (I am now a L) and you will be deservedly beaming. If you have a Galyans Sports around you they stock these in XXL, I think REI does also. Feel free to email me if you like if you have any questions or need any help. WAY TO GO!!!!!

[email protected]

Jay

Many thanks, in advance

Dale