Cycling shorts for the rain!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by alilydiamond, Jun 5, 2014.

1. alilydiamond

alilydiamond New Member

-Hey fellow bikers

I'm trying to develop more cycling gear options for the rain: specifically cycling shorts for the rain! After many years of biking, and being a part of the biker community, I have a general idea of what should be available for the public; but I want your ideas as well! Please take my survey and give me your thoughts and opinions!

Thanks!!

Survey: https://qtrial2014.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eIZbdmPtYsR2RO5

Tags:

2. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

What features does a rain cycling short have compared to normal shorts?

3. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi "all-weather" cycling shorts. The outer material is waterproof but still pretty breathable. http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=331&product_id=1507436&outlet=1&color_code=021

4. Colnago62

Colnago62 New Member

Castelli makes their Nano Flex shorts that work well if it is not a heavy rain. I live in the Pacific Northwest and their really anything that will keep you completely dry. I go for what will keep me warm and somewhat dry.

5. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

I find running shorts good in the rain - no padding to get wet. And they dry fast.

6. MotownBikeBoy

And for the complete rain experience, Frogg Toggs: http://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/mens-pants-outerwear.html These are surprisingly breathable for rain gear.

7. ambal

ambal Active Member

you shouldn't train in the rain, simple as that [​IMG]

8. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Quote by Maydog:
    "What features does a rain cycling short have compared to normal shorts?"

Gutters and downspouts?

9. Colnago62

Colnago62 New Member

Around here, if you don't ride in the rain, you won't start your season until late June.

10. MotownBikeBoy

Why? Any particular reason? Personally, I love riding in the rain. But I'm not "training" per se.

11. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Why does it always rain the day after I clean the bike? [​IMG]

12. MotownBikeBoy

Simple, the gods want to keep you busy and out of trouble there, son.:big-smile: So they make sure you have something it to do. Idle hands and all that, you know. :grin:

13. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Hmmm [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. alilydiamond

alilydiamond New Member

Hey everyone!! I'm the original poster to this thread (the one who created the survey). Thanks for all your updates! I appreciate all your feedback and even... the videos lol.

I'm just trying to get a sense of what everybody wants/wears when it rains. I've been wearing biking shorts that easily dry out afterwards, but now I'm looking for raingear shorts to wear OVER my work shorts when I'm biking to work.

Is that what other people are looking for as well? And if so, would you guys be interested in such a product?

Thanks again!

15. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Work shorts, what are those?

I either bring a change of clothes or have a change of clothes at work. Regular bike shorts and poly tights work just fine for me in the rain.

16. AyeYo

AyeYo Member

Given the typical demographics, I'm not sure you're going to find many cyclists that wear shorts at work. Water resistant shorts are nice, but typically if it's a light rain I'm not bothered by being a little damp and if it's a heavy rain then the wetness of my shorts takes a back seat to the fact that I can't see where I'm going with all the water in my eyes.

17. alilydiamond

alilydiamond New Member

I was thinking that you could wear these raingear shorts OVER regular shorts, if you wanted to keep them dry. I know that I would wear something like this, and I'm trying to establish if other people would as well.

18. alilydiamond

alilydiamond New Member

I guess my idea is catering to a very specific niche. I would wear shorts (for work, for recreation activities), and would want them to stay dry even through a downpour.. So that's when I would wear the rain bike shorts! I guess I was just wondering if other people felt the same way! Thanks

19. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Trouble with energetic cycling is that anything waterproof enough to keep rain out, is also moisture proof enough to effectively trap all humidity coming off your body into whatever clothing you have underneath the waterproof layer. So it's a choice, wet from the outside, or wet from the inside. Hence, keeping warm(ish) gets more important than keeping dry - which is pretty much an impossible mission.

20. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Waterproof shorts make as much sense as a waterproof T-shirt. You legs will still get wet and the water will get into your shoes and socks.