Cycling shorts: how to compare, buy, not get ripped off?

ABG

Jul 7, 2006
I saw no threads relating specifically to cycling shorts, so I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm sick of the damn saddle sores so I thought I'd go dork and finally chock up the nerve to buy some cycling shorts. I commute to the nearest bus stop most work days in non-freezing weather, so I am also concerned with drawing unwanted attention to my crotch area too.

There are so many different prices and brands of cycling shorts that I don't know what to compare or where to invest my money. I notice that many of them are damn expensive, I mean $50 and up at retail stores. I also notice that many shorts are much cheaper if bought online instead of at the typically overpriced bike stores. Sorry bike stores, but as much as you offer great stuff, great advice, and great repairs, I don't like the prices of your merchandise (that is, what are not new bicycles).

For instance, nashbar.com, a bike gear site I like to use, has a zillion types of cycling shorts for $40 and under, which for me is a more reasonable price range. Ebay, Amazon.com, and similar sites have lots of choices too for good prices. I was wondering if some people have used reasonably-priced bike shorts and can recommend brands?

Also, is it okay to wear cycling shorts under a pair of polyester or nylon conventional casual shorts, so as not to embarrass oneself when walking in stores, to work, or on buses and trains?