Cycling shorts: how to compare, buy, not get ripped off?

ABG

Jul 7, 2006
I saw no threads relating specifically to cycling shorts, so I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm sick of the damn saddle sores so I thought I'd go dork and finally chock up the nerve to buy some cycling shorts. I commute to the nearest bus stop most work days in non-freezing weather, so I am also concerned with drawing unwanted attention to my crotch area too.

There are so many different prices and brands of cycling shorts that I don't know what to compare or where to invest my money. I notice that many of them are damn expensive, I mean $50 and up at retail stores. I also notice that many shorts are much cheaper if bought online instead of at the typically overpriced bike stores. Sorry bike stores, but as much as you offer great stuff, great advice, and great repairs, I don't like the prices of your merchandise (that is, what are not new bicycles).

For instance, nashbar.com, a bike gear site I like to use, has a zillion types of cycling shorts for $40 and under, which for me is a more reasonable price range. Ebay, Amazon.com, and similar sites have lots of choices too for good prices. I was wondering if some people have used reasonably-priced bike shorts and can recommend brands?

Also, is it okay to wear cycling shorts under a pair of polyester or nylon conventional casual shorts, so as not to embarrass oneself when walking in stores, to work, or on buses and trains?

I apologize for the duplicate thread posts. The site was saying "busy try again later." Moderators, you can delete the duplicate thread if you catch it in time.

first...yeah. buy good shorts. very good shorts. your nether regions will thank you. you don't have to spend $150, but $50 is pretty much the bare minimum.

second, it's perfectly fine to wear lycra shorts under a normal pair of shorts as long as there's sufficient leg room in them so that they don't bind up on your leg when pedaling.

the problem with buying the lycra/baggy combo is that most of them have a crappy chamois. there may be great ones out there but i haven't come across them yet.

and DON'T wear underwear under them.

I was at my LBS shopping for a new pair only mine cost $140. I agree though, get good shorts. If you can, put a good chunk of money into this purchase. If you're only commuting, you probably don't spend a ton of money on your bike so you should be able to put a couple bucks towards shorts. I currently have Pearl Izumi Attack shorts (these are not the $140 ones, those are being ordered). They were really nice at first but the chamois is just about dead now. I think Pearl offers a chamois/baggy short combo now actually but I've never tried or used them. My new shorts are Pearl Izumi Microsensor bibs.

GuyNoir said:
ABG said:
I'm sick of the damn saddle sores so I thought I'd go dork and finally chock up the nerve to buy some cycling shorts.QUOTE]

Take a look at http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19943&subcategory_ID=1123 for padded biking briefs. You can stock up a week's worth of these without breaking the bank. Not to mention being able to wear regular shorts over them.

-GN
I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Attack Shorts at my LBS for about $60 (actually a little less because I had a discount) and they are much better than my Performance brand shorts I got for a gift. But they are about the $40 ones, I believe. They are good but the Attack shorts are better and more comfy.

I used to wear a baggy pair of cargo shorts over my cycling shorts before I got used to wearing the cycling shorts. haha! It was comfy but it does restrict air flow down there on long rides. Doh!

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I actually ordered online 2 pairs of cycling shorts at this site. They are Ascent men's shorts, and are supposedly regularly $39.99 but are supposedly on sale for $19.99 each. So they're cheap. Cycling shorts are kind of a blind item, it's hard to tell by looking at it how the quality is. I mean, you can tell how many panels it is; but the chamois is hard to tell how good it is just by looking at it (although you can see the thickness of it), and you can see which ones have thicker fabric than others but other than that, there really isn't much to go by. Reviews on the Internet regarding cycling shorts are sparse. But I will try some of the cycling underwear (as opposed to the cycling shorts) later perhaps to round out my collection so I can have maybe 5 of them and use a different one 5 days a week. They're cheaper and go well underneath casual sports shorts. Still not gonna pay $50+ dollars for a cycling short. :)

Don't skimp on bike shorts! I learned the hard way. I bought the most inexpensive shorts on sale I could find. Oh boy did I pay for that! They are fine for a 45 min spin class but on a road ride, OUCH! I like the Trek & Pearl Izumi shorts even if they do cost a little more, they are worth it. You can also buy liners to go under baggy shorts. The baggy short/chamois combo sets always ride up my leg so I don't care for those. I don't have that problem with the liners.

There are so many different prices and brands of cycling shorts that I don't know what to compare or where to invest my money. I notice that many of them are damn expensive, I mean $50 and up at retail stores. I also notice that many shorts are much cheaper if bought online instead of at the typically overpriced bike stores. Sorry bike stores, but as much as you offer great stuff, great advice, and great repairs, I don't like the prices of your merchandise (that is, what are not new bicycles).

For instance, nashbar.com, a bike gear site I like to use, has a zillion types of cycling shorts for $40 and under, which for me is a more reasonable price range. Ebay, Amazon.com, and similar sites have lots of choices too for good prices. I was wondering if some people have used reasonably-priced bike shorts and can recommend brands?

Also, is it okay to wear cycling shorts under a pair of polyester or nylon conventional casual shorts, so as not to embarrass oneself when walking in stores, to work, or on buses and trains?

ABG said:

Seems *way* more likely that one would be embarassed by being seen walking in stores, to work, or on buses and trains wearing a pair of polyester or nylon conventional shorts, regardless of what you had on underneath them.

ASSOS, Pearl Izumi (micro sensor) or Castelli Bib shorts. You pay more but they last forever, fit great and are comfortable on your boys. Alot of the team shorts are made by Nalini, Assos, Descente and Castelli and are sometimes on sale.

Bob Ross said:
Seems *way* more likely that one would be embarassed by being seen walking in stores, to work, or on buses and trains wearing a pair of polyester or nylon conventional shorts, regardless of what you had on underneath them.
Nah, I get on the bus all the time with polyester gym shorts (not the super-short 70's and 80's era kind, no way), I've never felt embarrassed doing so. But getting on the bus in bare cycling shorts - can't say I've tried it yet, but I just don't have that kind of courage, sorry :)