Cycling shorts: necessary or wasteful?

paneuropursuit

Aug 28, 2010
Hey All

My buddy and I are planning to tour Europe next summer, where we (hopefully) plan to bike close to ~75-100 miles a day, for a month and a half. As money will be tight, I'm looking to save by avoiding to buy anything that will be costly and I could do without. Normally I would never think of buying cycling shorts, but a buddy of mine who just biked across the US told me that its an absolute must! So.....any advice?

Also, any other items you think we can go without (camping gear, cooking gear) let us know!

Omar Dughly
Pan-Euro Pursuit
Pan-Euro Pursuit

Unless you have callouses in your nether regions like those of us who started riding long before cycling shorts were invented, I definitely think that they would be a necessary addition to your kit.

Yes, cycling shorts are highly recommended, and it would be wise to try several prior to the trip so you know what works for you. Not to be unkind, but if are you asking about camping and cooking gear, it sounds like your trip is not very well planned at this point.

I was stubborn and passed on the cycling shorts when I bought my bike, and the first day with it I rode 17 miles to my buddies house; and borrowed his car to go buy padded cycling shorts :p I now wear them every time I ride.

You can also buy padded underwear in case you want something to wear under your regular shorts. Not as nice but cheaper and therefore you might be able to buy a couple of pair. This is handy as washing them out after a long ride is a good idea, and they may or may not be dry by the morning.

You can also buy padded underwear in case you want something to wear under your regular shorts. Not as nice but cheaper and therefore you might be able to buy a couple of pair. This is handy as washing them out after a long ride is a good idea, and they may or may not be dry by the morning.