Cycling shorts: necessary or wasteful?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by paneuropursuit, Sep 14, 2010.

1. paneuropursuit

paneuropursuit New Member

Hey All

My buddy and I are planning to tour Europe next summer, where we (hopefully) plan to bike close to ~75-100 miles a day, for a month and a half. As money will be tight, I'm looking to save by avoiding to buy anything that will be costly and I could do without. Normally I would never think of buying cycling shorts, but a buddy of mine who just biked across the US told me that its an absolute must! So.....any advice?

Also, any other items you think we can go without (camping gear, cooking gear) let us know!

Omar Dughly
    Pan-Euro Pursuit
    Pan-Euro Pursuit

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Unless you have callouses in your nether regions like those of us who started riding long before cycling shorts were invented, I definitely think that they would be a necessary addition to your kit.

3. Steve_A

Steve_A Member

Yes, cycling shorts are highly recommended, and it would be wise to try several prior to the trip so you know what works for you. Not to be unkind, but if are you asking about camping and cooking gear, it sounds like your trip is not very well planned at this point.

4. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

necessary. and make sure you wash them out after EACH day's riding.

5. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Don't skimp on the shorts, your fanny will really appreciate it. And like Tony said above, keep them clean - jock itch is no fun.

6. Serious Chris

Serious Chris New Member

I was stubborn and passed on the cycling shorts when I bought my bike, and the first day with it I rode 17 miles to my buddies house; and borrowed his car to go buy padded cycling shorts :p I now wear them every time I ride.

7. TKOS

TKOS New Member

You can also buy padded underwear in case you want something to wear under your regular shorts. Not as nice but cheaper and therefore you might be able to buy a couple of pair. This is handy as washing them out after a long ride is a good idea, and they may or may not be dry by the morning.

8. TKOS

TKOS New Member

You can also buy padded underwear in case you want something to wear under your regular shorts. Not as nice but cheaper and therefore you might be able to buy a couple of pair. This is handy as washing them out after a long ride is a good idea, and they may or may not be dry by the morning.

9. Solanog

Solanog New Member

They very comfortable I would say they are not wasteful.