Cycling shorts recommendations

Andrepaul

Sep 15, 2004
I'm looking for some good (road) cycling shorts and I'm wondering if there are some brands/models that offer better padding with a greater padded area. My LBS swears by the Nike Pro shorts for the prevention of saddle sores eventhough he sells many other brands of shorts.
Any recommendations would be great.

I'm a newbie at all of this stuff so some of it I'm just trying to do as much research and buy it. Then "next" time I'll have something to compare to.

For my short decision I went with a bib for the thoughts I read. I got the Pearl Izumi Microsensor 3D Pro Bib. I like them so far. They feel comfortable when I wear them and they feel good on my @$$.

I went on the assumption that shorts are not something to skimp on, so I picked a brand and got the best pair I could buy.

Andrepaul said:
I'm looking for some good (road) cycling shorts and I'm wondering if there are some brands/models that offer better padding with a greater padded area. My LBS swears by the Nike Pro shorts for the prevention of saddle sores eventhough he sells many other brands of shorts.
Hmmm, well, here's my review...(most data based on bib shorts).

Castelli Y3 Bibs ($175) - I really like these, the padding is really nice, it's dual density. But I find for the same size, the legs are shorter and the shoulder straps are tighter. The leg grippers on these shorts are really grippy and seem like they would last a long time. The directional fabric cut of certain panels is kind of funky, and I don't notice any benefit from this. Again, the smaller sizing wreaks havok on my biker tan. The fabric is not as breathable as others

Pearl Izumi Microsensor Bibs ($150) - Nice, but the shoulder straps are little on the wide side, but the fabric is very breathable, Padding is pretty decent, but the "channel" that forms in the perineal (sp?) region of these shorts seems to make me more numb. Look at the chamois and you'll see that there is a channel and I think that this does nothing for me as comfort. I haven't ridden with these a whole lot since I'm not a huge fan of these shorts, but I love the fabric.... very very breathable. I've noticed that the Pearl Bibs seem to run a little larger fit wise than some other brands. Flat stitch seams on most or all of the shorts (can't remember off hand).

Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor Shorts ($80) - My trusty stand-by. I use these when I don't need the comfort of a bib, train on the rollers or go on short rides with the girl. Fabric is very nice, and the chamois is relatively comfortable, but still suffers from the design flaw of Pearl Izumi chamois. The "channel" feels good the first time you use the shorts, but after a wash cycle the "channel" loses something and the shorts no longer provide cushion. Flat stitch seams on only the front of the shorts.

Descente Aero-X Bibs ($80) - Awesome bibs! Good padding and a relatively simple chamois design, leading to good overall pressure relief. Fabric is on par with Ultrasensor's but not as breathable as Microsensor shorts. Great sizing for me, as the shoulder straps are thinner than Pearl and the length is perfect, for me. Flat stitch seams on most or all of the shorts.

Cannondale 6 Panel Shorts - Good for sprints if you ride a Cannondale, not very good padding, cheap fabric.

Now on all of these shorts, I've noticed that the actual bulk of the padding is no where near where my body contacts the seat. My bars are a little lower than normal, to accomodate my positive reach index. Most of the pressure I get is more in front of my sit bones, in the perineal region. Other people however, wearing the same shorts seem to have the padding where they need it. While riding behind them, I can't see much padding betwenn the rider and the seat, where as my padding is sitting higher up on the shorts. This is most likely body positioning on the bike.

Andrepaul said:
A reputable bib-short. Since I changed from standard cycling shorts to bib-shorts, I've never looked back. I use Scody bib shorts and they're great.

Search this forum; been there, answered this many times over.

Although a highly personal issue, shorts are not a place to try to save a couple of bucks. Good quality shorts, properly cared for (no machine wash/dry), will last quite a long time. Ill fitting shorts will make you miserable. Bibs rule, bibs with no undies are even better.

capwater said:
Search this forum; been there, answered this many times over.

Although a highly personal issue, shorts are not a place to try to save a couple of bucks. Good quality shorts, properly cared for (no machine wash/dry), will last quite a long time. Ill fitting shorts will make you miserable. Bibs rule, bibs with no undies are even better.
I prefer my Louis Garneau shorts over my Pearl Izumi's. LG ~$75 PI ~ $65. Better chamois, better leg grippers(though not that big a deal).

What degree of improvement over these mid-price shorts do you get if you spend $150? bling? nirvana?

Andrepaul said:
For a good price, I've found the Cannondale Chrono 8 panel to be pretty descent - it's the best of three I have used.

I will check out some of the more upmarket ones, though.

Andrepaul said:
Assos, hands down. Save your pennies and buy a pair of the bibs. You and your bling-bling will be in cycling nirvana. Plus they look great!

Andrepaul said:
Wow, looks like we haven't been too helpful having recommended so many.

Anyway, let me tell you two to avoid. One is DMX which was horrid in every way. Another is Desoto - I got their tri shorts and they are pretty bad and of poor quality.

Perl Izumi Micro Sensor or the Ultra Sensor are great! I have both and that is all I wear. Very comfortable and very reasonable price.

I find netti pronix to be a good budget choice0(75 aud or 57usd)
good quality HAP chamois and very comfortable