Cycling shorts with Gel lining/insert?

Randybaker99

Nov 13, 2003
Anybody have any experiences with Gel lined cycling shorts, good, bad, or indifferent? I have always used chamois shorts, but now I am riding longer and my new bike has more a racing saddle. Also, any brand preferences? Thanks!

Originally posted by Randybaker99
Anybody have any experiences with Gel lined cycling shorts, good, bad, or indifferent? I have always used chamois shorts, but now I am riding longer and my new bike has more a racing saddle. Also, any brand preferences? Thanks!

I have only limited experience with them and have not been overly impressed. I have only had two pair of them. The pair that I currently have are Nashbar. I got them several years ago and use them fairly infrequently. I have not personally noticed a big difference in rumpus discomfortus and I always feel like I am sliding around, almost trying to balance on top of the gel. The other pair were some years ago, a name brand, but can't recall exactly which one. I think that they had not gotten their act together at that time as the gel turned into a crunchy hard mass within about six months.

I am sure that there is a big difference between brands. I think that the floating sensation problem would probably be helped by a tighter fabric weave. So far I still prefer using my natural, then syn chamois, but maybe I just haven't found the right ones.

I also have a pair of Nashbar gel shorts. It seems they put maybe a little too much gel in them. They weigh quite a bit, also. Even more than regular bike shorts, it feels like you've got a load in your pants. They seem to work ok, though. I guess if you're really having problems with other shorts they might be an improvement...

Originally posted by jbkalla
I also have a pair of Nashbar gel shorts. It seems they put maybe a little too much gel in them. They weigh quite a bit, also. Even more than regular bike shorts, it feels like you've got a load in your pants.

Must be a tremendous feeling ½ through a century, and yer gel shorts explode!!! :D

Originally posted by Randybaker99

I have the Performance Gel shorts and can't really tell much difference between them and my regular shorts for comfort.

I did however notice last summer when it was hot here in TX that they don't breath hardly at all. Before I'd alwasy been able to lift my rear off the saddle on downhill or just for a break and feel a cool breathability to the shorts. Not the case with the Gels.

Scott

yah... I'm starting to come around to the way of thinking that less is more: ie- Less padding actually feels better (with a good saddle). I've stopped using my Gel Lites because there was so much padding that they cut off the circulation in my fingers; I've switched to a Brooks saddle (no padding. just leather); and I'm using just minimal padding on my shorts. I'll let everyone know how it works out after I spend more time on my bike!