Cycling shorts

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
I have used Giordana, Canari, Pearl izumi shorts; starting with "low end" $30 -$40 moving up the ladder to $60-$80 but I never thought I would spend $100. Recently I bought a pair of Sugoi RS shorts on sale for $100 and was so impressed that I bought two more -that blew my budget for the whole year ; ). Specially now that my previous favorite was Pearl Slice Ultrasensor and now they are $100 also.

I have noticed a big difference on chamois, fit, support and comfort so far on my Sugoi shorts vs Slice Ultrasensors.

What's the next level up (brand) from the Sugoi?
So is it reasonable to assume that very high end shorts (assos or similar) are exponentially better?

rparedes said:
I have used Giordana, Canari, Pearl izumi shorts; starting with "low end" $30 -$40 moving up the ladder to $60-$80 but I never thought I would spend $100. Recently I bought a pair of Sugoi RS shorts on sale for $100 and was so impressed that I bought two more -that blew my budget for the whole year ; ). Specially now that my previous favorite was Pearl Slice Ultrasensor and now they are $100 also.

I have noticed a big difference on chamois, fit, support and comfort so far on my Sugoi shorts vs Slice Ultrasensors.

What's the next level up (brand) from the Sugoi?
So is it reasonable to assume that very high end shorts (assos or similar) are exponentially better?

It depends on what pleases your peaches and taint. What works is based totally on personal preference. Build quality and technical "features", as well as name, cause the biggest differences in price. I tried a lot of brands, before I found 2 that work for me. Sugoi rubbed me the wrong way. The Sugoi RS bibs I used had seams finished to remove flesh nicely, and the lycra became see-through way too quickly. Eventually I found myself in Assos bibs which are as comfy to me as the price might suggest. They're damned durable, too. I've got 4 year old Assos bibs that are still going strong. Last year I gave Giordana Forma Red bibs a try and found 'em to be a bit more comfy at a lower price. The quality looks as good, and feels as good, but time will tell how their durability fairs. FWIW, Giordana has a line of bibs/shorts/jerseys that spans the range of costs. Even their lower cost bib/shorts--$70-100--have good reps.

Unfortunately bibs/shorts are like saddles: sometimes you get lucky and find something that works right away, and other times it takes a bit more effort and testing to find what works.

In my mind, it's worth whatever it costs to have a happy taint.

It's Asso for me as I am totally spoiled by the fit and comfort. They do run small in size in comparison to others though, so be careful when ordering. The cool thing is that people, even non-cyclist, actually recognize the brand. All the time people drive by and shout "hey Asso"!

jhuskey said:
It's Asso for me as I am totally spoiled by the fit and comfort. They do run small in size in comparison to others though, so be careful when ordering. The cool thing is that people, even non-cyclist, actually recognize the brand. All the time people drive by and shout "hey Asso"!

Wow, I didn't know how popular they were. It must be the part of the country you're in...:D

I'm a Sugois fan all the way! :D They work great for me but I have noticed each pair fits slightly different...:confused: Always hang them up to air dry inside out, gives them a longer shelf life. As several have mentioned, it comes down to personal preference.

I just bought my first pair of sugois this year and they are the most comfortable riding shorts ive ever owned. Our team used Pactimo for our race kits this year, and they were super comfy from the start, but wore out pretty bad after about 2 months.

I like the pair of Sugoi for comfort, but the inner seam started showing excessive wear after a few rides. The best pairs that I have now are Desoto bibs with the "400 Mile" pad and the price is not too bad either.