Cycling shorts.

Goose5

Mar 4, 2009
I have been using shorts that I bought 20 years ago. I received a Performance gift discount card and bought a pair of their 70 dollar shorts. First 23 mile ride I have experience significant sore problems on both sides of the boys to put it mildly. I have never experienced this type of problem before. I have searched chamois cream here and found mixed results regarding this product. If I throw down the cash for a pair of Castelli or Assos will I continue to experience this problem?

Dont skimp on shorts, get some knicks! You won't want to wear shorts ever again. In general downstairs comfort costs and the clothing manufacturers have us all over a barrel in this regard.
But you don't necessarily need to buy Assos (expensive - but you probably wont be disapointed).
Companies like Santini, Capo, Descente, Nalini, Castelli etc all make fairly decent shorts/knicks. There will always be a bit of variability for personal preference but these companies have all at least been way better for me than the own-brand type stuff from web shops.

$70 Performance shorts are expensive to me...must be the "Ultra". Anyway, you don't need expensive shorts to avoid chaffing, as long as they fit properly.
I've had several pairs of Performance shorts, but the fit seems to vary a lot.

Perhaps the pad was too big or thick for you (and size of the shorts), and rubbing on the insides of your thighs? Also, if this was your longest ride in the last 20 years, or first ride in a long time, some chaffing wouldn't be unusual.

For shorter rides, I often wear cheap, basic Nalini shorts and bibs. Just basic "felt" chamois pad, and thin material, but being "Made in Italy", they fit well.

Chamois cream is definately your friend. You don't need anything fancy though; any heavier-weight hand lotion, "body butter", or vaseline will work. Use it liberally on your contact point and believe your chaffing will disappear.

Get the cheapest shorts you can find, chamois??? who needs one, save some money man. Seams really don't matter.

:p

baker3 said:
Get the cheapest shorts you can find, chamois??? who needs one, save some money man. Seams really don't matter.

Sarcasm alert?? ^^

Good shorts/knicks are definatly worth the money, unless you're just going for rides around the block.

Chamois? They are life savers on the rural roads here in Wisconsin.

Seams are bad when they're in the wrong place.

When I was younger I did a short thirty mile ride in running shorts.....it took awhile before I was riding again. :rolleyes:

I never had this problem but I started riding long before "cycling shorts" were readily available in my area. I guess I have callouses in all the right places now. But back to the topic, there have been a lot of advances in cycling clothing in the past 20 years. I suggest that you go ahead and buy a new pair of quality shorts or bibs or whatever floats your boat. Tafi has it right though, there are a lot of good medium priced manufacturers out there. The most expensive isn't always the best.

I don't think I've ever bought any cycling apparel, except for shoes and helmet, that cost $70. Or maybe I should say I've never paid that much because I try to buy things on sale, although some of the stuff I've bought would've been $70(+) if I'd paid full price.

I think the trick is to find some that you really like, and then watch for deep discounts or returns.

The last 4 pairs of shorts I purchased are Nashbar house brand. I bought the first pair on sale and I liked them so much that I watched for returns, and ended up buying 3 more pairs at half price. That was 5 years ago and I'll be sad when these finally wear out, they fit me perfectly. So far they are holding up very nicely, so it should be awhile before I need more.

I don't have the sales receipts anymore, but I'm thinking I paid in the $35 to $40 for these.

i myself have bought performance brand shorts and i did experience the same problem. i saved up enough money and bought a pair of scatante bid shorts that were on the sale rack,tried em on as well as some perfomance shorts ,and the scatante shorts are way more comfortable. its the only brand i will by.as of right now.

when riding u must be comfortable at all times, nothing worse than tryin to get through your ride being uncomfortable.

LB CYCLIST said:
i myself have bought performance brand shorts and i did experience the same problem. i saved up enough money and bought a pair of scatante bid shorts that were on the sale rack,tried em on as well as some perfomance shorts ,and the scatante shorts are way more comfortable. its the only brand i will by.as of right now.

when riding u must be comfortable at all times, nothing worse than tryin to get through your ride being uncomfortable.
I thought that Scatante was Performance's house brand.

Spend the $$ for good quality stuff...you might not like the up-front cost but your bits will thank you the first time (and then each and every time) you get in the saddle. :D Listen to the advice given, don't skimp on anything that goes between you and the bike (shoes, shorts, gloves, etc...); you'll have a whole new experience! ;) Besides, you can make up the cost by cutting out extrenious **** you really don't need (how much do you spend at say...Starbucks?).:eek: Just a thought. Good luck!:cool:

For today's ride I chose an old pair of Bellweather shorts. I compared the chamois with my new Performance shorts. The old style chamois is much wider up front thus putting seams well down on my leg. The Performance chamois is much thinner up front which when you add a saddle to the mix put seams right in a tender area on my anatomy. I was still a little sore in that area so perhaps its half the shorts and half not having the extra layer of tights that is the problem.

Goose5 said:
I have been using shorts that I bought 20 years ago. I received a Performance gift discount card and bought a pair of their 70 dollar shorts. First 23 mile ride I have experience significant sore problems on both sides of the boys to put it mildly. I have never experienced this type of problem before. I have searched chamois cream here and found mixed results regarding this product. If I throw down the cash for a pair of Castelli or Assos will I continue to experience this problem?

for shorts try teamfastgear.com they have good prices, good service, super fast deivery time and much more. i used them for a bunch of jerseys and a couple shorts and i am amazed at the quality of them. i put them through alot of abuse and they hold up great

Not all shorts are created equally for sure. That is why I tend to like to try on a pair in a store and know what my comfort level with them is prior to any online or special orders.

Look for shorts with flat welded seams. They cost more but are worth it. Chamois range all over the place. Tri shorts tend to have thin ones as they are meant for shorter rides. Pro cycling bib shorts are great for longer rides and usually have a fancy chamois that is great for many hours on the bike.

I don't use creams unless the ride is really long and the weather is super hot (ie sweaty time).

I do have a cheap pair of off brand shorts which is fine for commuting in, but for any serious ride I would leave them off.

Props to you for fitting into a 20 year old pair of shorts. But, you should probably replace those. Before you drop your cash on a ultra expensive brand make sure to look around, there are a lot of great priced shorts what offer technical performamce and comfort for a great price.

I have some Performance shorts. The elite model and have been pleased with them. They are not the most comfortable but they are fine for 25 to 30 mile rides.