Cycling Snobbery

Mar 11, 2015
Being fairly new to the cycling world, I expected a little bit of patronising to occur, but I did not realise that there would be all out snobbery! Some of the people I have encountered both on and offline have been lovely, but some, actually quite a lot of people have been downright snobs! Because I don't have the "right" gear or I am not cycling every single day I get looked down on as though I have no place!
Has this ever happened to anyone else? Have you experienced cycling snobbery?

Reactions: megameds and Froze
Not around here but I am not in an urban area and would you please address me as Sir Snob, Overlord of the Road. In truth I sometimes get a condescending attitude toward individuals that tell me they are getting on their trainer and will be riding "right there with me" in a few weeks. These guys are 100 lbs overweight and it took me years to get where I am so unless they have some unnatural powers I highly doubt their claims. All if not most sink further into their unhealthy abyss.
I am always encouraging to those that actually have heart and are willing to make the effort. On the flip side I grow weary of those that ask "why do you wear those sissy short"? "Why do you need a fancy bike when a good Wal Mart bike is just as good"? I guess it works both ways.

I hear that cycling is the new golf.. and I believe it to be the case based upon my experiences at group rides this is the case. During all the pre-ride faffing about, there's a lot of this show off stuff... and really its ridiculous. I mean guys who clearly have a few pounds to lose (BY KNOW MEANS AM I EXCLUDING MYSELF HERE), bragging about weight savings of carbon fiber this, or aero this or that. There is unfortunately a lot of snobbery.

For me, I just laugh it off at these guys who think they are pros actually shaving their legs and what not. For me, I will never consider myself a "cyclist", I am just a guy who likes to ride my bike a lot.

If you havent checked out the Bike Snob blog, check it out. Its often hilarious.

Reactions: Clairelouise84
There are patronising people EVERYWHERE. At any age, skill level, price point, performance, occupation etc etc. Even if you were to pick up watching paint dry as a hobby there'd be people around thinking they were doing it better than you. The big thing is not to let it get to you. The 2nd biggest thing is to learn to realize that sometimes there is a point to what they're saying, even if they are being a$$holes about it.
Particularly when it comes to clothes, activity-specific stuff is usually better than generic stuff. How much better is open to debate, but usually still better.
I've ruined several non-bicycle tights by riding for instance. The fabric just couldn't cope with the chafing from the saddle. The specific fit of a bicycle jacket - long back, long sleeves, no front pockets - also help.
Have to say though, I'm struggling to see the point of cycling socks.

NJAgent020 said:
I hear that cycling is the new golf.. and I believe it to be the case based upon my experiences at group rides this is the case. During all the pre-ride faffing about, there's a lot of this show off stuff... and really its ridiculous. I mean guys who clearly have a few pounds to lose (BY KNOW MEANS AM I EXCLUDING MYSELF HERE), bragging about weight savings of carbon fiber this, or aero this or that. There is unfortunately a lot of snobbery.

For me, I just laugh it off at these guys who think they are pros actually shaving their legs and what not. For me, I will never consider myself a "cyclist", I am just a guy who likes to ride my bike a lot.

If you havent checked out the Bike Snob blog, check it out. Its often hilarious.
It's easier for the EMT to pick out bits of embedded gravel from shaved legs. :D

mpre53 said:
It's easier for the EMT to pick out bits of embedded gravel from shaved legs. :D
I have heard this.. and its nonsense. YOu don't see other pro athletes do this... football players, marathon runners, etc. And we are talking total wannabes here not actual pros. I mean these people shave their legs to save a few ounces or be more aero.. .all while sporting large stomachs.. .its completely ridiculous. I am overweight as well... but I am not spending $90 on a carbon drink bottle cage to save 20 grams... I'll drink 3 fewer beers on friday and save the cash.

Pro race car drivers dont shave their eyebrows in case they get in a fiery wreck do they? The whole thing is total b.s.

I guess we all draw the line somewhere... I mean I used to think I'd never get a road bike.. and I got one. I used to think I'd never go with clipless pedals and shoes, but I am getting them. I still don't do the power meeter, I don't wear the lycra, I don't have the aero bars, and I won't ever shave my legs. I don't think of myself as a "cyclist" but a guy who enjoys riding a bike.

As for the snobbery of it... this activity (not sport- we ride bikes not race them and riding bikes is not a sport) is chock full of poseurs. Matching shorts and jerseys, authentic team kit, its really embarassing. And a lot of these guys aren't even strong riders. They often dont take a pull at the front, have no idea about riding in a group... completely ignore basic rules of traffic, etc. Of course I am generalizing. I also meet plenty of regular joes on every major event I have ever done. And plenty of people share food, drink, a spare tube, a C02 charge, etc. Not every one is a jerk...but there are a lot of them.

Shaving for weight would be entirely pointless from ANY perspective.
Shaving for aero benefits MIGHT just make a LITTLE sense if you're shooting for a podium finish.
Shaving for easier wound care - I've never bought that. Crashes aren't THAT common. And hairs not that much of a problem.
The most probable explanation IMO has to do with massage. Massage on a smooth skin is easier on both parties. And I've tried it from both directions.
From the perspective of frequent massages, shaved legs isn't BS, but a rather natural adaptation to circumstances.

First, on topic. Yeah, there are snobs out there. It's not limited to cycling though, it's everywhere. I know (and unfortunately ride) with a bunch, but then again I also know and ride with a bunch of great guys and gals. For the most part I think most people are not, it's just that the few snobs are so obnoxious that they can really kill the vibe if you're not one of the cool kids.

On the sub topic of leg shaving and other weight/aero savings:
You don't have to be an elite athlete, weigh a buck-twenty soaking wet and a pro to take advantage of small gains. I am not even close to being a podium contender but I compete every time against myself. I will take every small gain I can get. The type of tri suit you wear can save you 10-15 seconds (skin suits can save you more in TTs). Shaving legs can save you 20-40 seconds based on distance/woodie factor. Helmet can save you 20-30 seconds.... When you add up all the little things you can start to see pretty good gains. So don't think just because the guy at the club ride is shaving his legs, that he's a bike snob. He may be just competing against himself.

I compete against myself too but always lose. I think I cheat but have no proof. I need a credible informant with inside information into my cheating. Anyone know where I can hire one cheap?

I'm oblivious to it if I have. I'm too busy focusing on getting this done the right way to listen to bad people.i won't be snobby to you, if that makes you feel any better

jhuskey said:
Not around here but I am not in an urban area and would you please address me as Sir Snob, Overlord of the Road. In truth I sometimes get a condescending attitude toward individuals that tell me they are getting on their trainer and will be riding "right there with me" in a few weeks. These guys are 100 lbs overweight and it took me years to get where I am so unless they have some unnatural powers I highly doubt their claims. All if not most sink further into their unhealthy abyss.
I am always encouraging to those that actually have heart and are willing to make the effort. On the flip side I grow weary of those that ask "why do you wear those sissy short"? "Why do you need a fancy bike when a good Wal Mart bike is just as good"? I guess it works both ways.
Ha ha sorry sir, That's fair enough, if people are being unrealistic then it is just silly, as you say, getting there can not be easy and it has taken you a while so they are just being arrogant. I am not claiming to be good, I have just recently discovered that I actually like riding and think it is fun, but some people seem to have the attitude that unless you are tour de France-ing it then you are wasting your time and somehow their time too.

kana_marie said:
I'm oblivious to it if I have. I'm too busy focusing on getting this done the right way to listen to bad people.i won't be snobby to you, if that makes you feel any better
That is the right way to be I suppose, rather than listening to them, it is just hard to block them out as I get very frustrated with people that think they are better than other people

NJAgent020 said:

There is a lot of "look at how expensive my stuff is" isn't there? I have a few pounds to lose and wanted to find a nice peaceful and relaxing way to do it ad thought here might be a good place to start. I also posted a question and got no help or answers with it either which was surprising. I should laugh it off to I suppose!

jhuskey said:
I compete against myself too but always lose. I think I cheat but have no proof. I need a credible informant with inside information into my cheating. Anyone know where I can hire one cheap?
I was with you until you said cheap, my information costs a lot of money, ha ha my brother is the kind of person that would cheat when by himself, sneaky devil.

dabac said:
There are patronising people EVERYWHERE. At any age, skill level, price point, performance, occupation etc etc. Even if you were to pick up watching paint dry as a hobby there'd be people around thinking they were doing it better than you. The big thing is not to let it get to you. The 2nd biggest thing is to learn to realize that sometimes there is a point to what they're saying, even if they are being a$$holes about it.
Particularly when it comes to clothes, activity-specific stuff is usually better than generic stuff. How much better is open to debate, but usually still better.
I've ruined several non-bicycle tights by riding for instance. The fabric just couldn't cope with the chafing from the saddle. The specific fit of a bicycle jacket - long back, long sleeves, no front pockets - also help.
Have to say though, I'm struggling to see the point of cycling socks.
I try not to let it get to me, I just hate snobs so much and get a bit wound up about it. I get that, and I get taht they will know more than me, but sometimes it's just like "okay you don't have to be a d**** about it!"

NJAgent020 said:
I have heard this.. and its nonsense. YOu don't see other pro athletes do this... football players, marathon runners, etc. And we are talking total wannabes here not actual pros. I mean these people shave their legs to save a few ounces or be more aero.. .all while sporting large stomachs.. .its completely ridiculous. I am overweight as well... but I am not spending $90 on a carbon drink bottle cage to save 20 grams... I'll drink 3 fewer beers on friday and save the cash.

Pro race car drivers dont shave their eyebrows in case they get in a fiery wreck do they? The whole thing is total b.s.

I guess we all draw the line somewhere... I mean I used to think I'd never get a road bike.. and I got one. I used to think I'd never go with clipless pedals and shoes, but I am getting them. I still don't do the power meeter, I don't wear the lycra, I don't have the aero bars, and I won't ever shave my legs. I don't think of myself as a "cyclist" but a guy who enjoys riding a bike.

As for the snobbery of it... this activity (not sport- we ride bikes not race them and riding bikes is not a sport) is chock full of poseurs. Matching shorts and jerseys, authentic team kit, its really embarassing. And a lot of these guys aren't even strong riders. They often dont take a pull at the front, have no idea about riding in a group... completely ignore basic rules of traffic, etc. Of course I am generalizing. I also meet plenty of regular joes on every major event I have ever done. And plenty of people share food, drink, a spare tube, a C02 charge, etc. Not every one is a jerk...but there are a lot of them.

I am glad there are some nice ones, I have met a couple of friendly people, but I do love seeing people that think they are brilliant when they are clearly not. Ha ha, wish I could get away with not shaving my legs! Like you say, I am just riding, I am not a cyclist, I am trying to be healthier as my lifestyle sucked so I thought cycling would be great but am getting put off by territorial a$$holes

kana_marie said:
Ahh that does make me feel better, thank you :) I suppose that is the right way to be, focused rather than listening to the stupid ones.

The skinnier cyclists get, the weirder and more elitist they become. All nervous, skittish, and edgy. Like a race horse.

The boyz in kit now nod and raise the index finger off the hoods since that I shaved the legs. Actually they are waxed which is not a mere technicality amongst the cognoscenti (threw that in there to stir the pot).

I just realized that I never get passed anymore, must be the aerodynamics of the smooth legs. I know that my Masseur appreciates it.

When good shorts cost $100, $200 or ever $500 a pair or shoes that can cost $500 or whatever, how could a sport not be perceived as elitist by the snapcard crowd but then again, I have always found cyclists at a certain level to be a bit uppidy. How dare we wave at them during a workout while they churn out a massive 2.734 W/Kg with sweat dripping off their chubby, furled brows.

Talk is talk and opinions are opinions in most all activities. I was taught a long time ago by a wise and skilled cyclist that when it comes to cycling talk, it's only what the legs have to say that matters.