Cycling Snobbery

Quote by swami:
"My 67 Camaro with the 502 does similar - sure it has about the same horsepower and more torque but sometimes the women come with less than a full set of teeth..."

That should match your mullet and parachute pants perfectly.

At least they're better than the dudes your Miata pulls in. Not that there's anything wrong with winning the Gay Pride Gymkhana in the YMCA parking lot.

Now, just what is the topic in this thread? Beer, Hot cars, Hot babes (my apology to any female readers who take offense at the use of the term, but I suspect you understand what I mean) all seem a bit off topic. I had a bike about 30 years ago that cost $2500 back then,it was nice and I got it because someone owed me money. I currently have a $300 off-the-shelf Raleigh with a few add ons, making it close to $400. I am on a tight budget, so it's plenty. I'm sure there are plenty of people who loook down on it, but that's just tough, their problem, not mine.

Reactions: Sunflogun
Well said, I personally don't care about the price of the bike, I just look if it does it's job correctly. If it does, the cheaper the better.

lol indeed, each one is born for what they love, so as long as we are enjoying ourselves and respecting others I think we are good. :)

What you spend on your bike should make no difference to anyone except yourself. If you're happy with a Craigslist special for $100 (or whatever) that's great. If you can afford to spend thousands on your dream bike with every little detail customized to your wishes then that's great too. The snobbery that bothers me is when I walk into a bike shop and they don't listen to me. When I first was shopping for a road bike, the guys in this one shop asked very few questions about the type of riding I wanted to do. They simply told me what kind of bike I should have. Really? That was annoying. The other snobbery that bothers me is when I pass a cyclist going the opposite direction. I try to acknowledge other riders with a wave of some kind but when the other folks simply ignore you it's bothersome. Are we not a community? How hard is it to life a finger off the bars and give a small salute? Just my peeves. Ride strong my friends!

I don' care how much a bike costs as long as it pure carbon fiber and equipped with Dura Ace or Campy Record. Anyone hear a rumor about some bike race starting tomorrow?

Quote by Doc old:
"Are we not a community?"

Doc, we 'used' to be a brotherhood.

This work that we do is so risky, so hard, so focused that the bonds of brotherhood were forged early in one's cycling career or avocation and they only grew stronger over the many years and miles we spent on the road.

Today?

Not so much.

A couple weeks ago a young man...a kid, really...was riding toward me and I was head down and focused. We were both moving fast on our road bikes. I looked up and spotted him at the last possible second. He had said 'hi' to me and all I could do was swivel my head and shout out a greeting as the distance between us opened up rapidly. I actually felt bad that maybe the dude would think I had snubbed him.

I go up to the more popular cycling areas to train (read: the 'big city'). There, it's every man save himself. No waves. No greetings. Everyone's too busy posing.

There's a thread running in the Audax section of yacf.co.uk about snobbery elitism in audax riding. :)

It's annoying. Which is why cycling for me is mostly a solitary experience. I've done a few charity rides, but rarely enjoy them as snobbery is rampant even in those circumstances.

There are just a few people with whom I'll ride. I've got 3 cycling friends. Only one do I ride with in any type of consistency.

It's an ASPECT of the overall experience, but most of the biggest snobs I've met are jerks until we hit the hills. I used to do group rides. I didn't like the fact I was beginning to enjoy out climbing a lot of people with whom I rode.

For me cycling's not a matter of competition it's a matter of existance.

I went to a bike shop once and I was talked back to. I still paid them to fix my bike, but they didn't have the best customer service. I just said I was a casual biker who bikes maybe 3-4 miles a day for fun and she started correcting me on what I did to my bike and then started semi-yelling to get me to pay attention to what she was doing to my brake when all I wanted was a tube replacement because I got a flat from an invisible piece of glass on the road. I don't like it when the bike shop owners/employees start to be over commanding when you know what you want on your bike.

As a newcomer to the biking world, I would say it is absolutey snobby as all get out.

I am a marathoner, an elite athlete. I wanted to add cycling to my training in order to take some easy days on the joints...and the people I encounter in the biking community are mostly twats, more concerned about image than actual performance.

I've been told on what to wear, why I shouldn't have a saddle bag, why colors need to match, why socks need to be this high, etc etc etc, not much talk at all about training or technique. **** you all!

And so, I'll be taking to my bike, dressed the way I want, and I will be blowing by you fags within a few weeks because I'm swole as ****.

Cheers.

Don't listen to them and definitely don't let them get you down. I believe every community has its good side and its bad side and I'm sorry that you have to experience the bad side first. Honestly, just keep doing what you're doing! Humans make mistakes and anyone who says otherwise is just naive. Ignore others, and just stick to it man!

Late last month, I went to a small mall where there was this festival of bikes. There was a folding bike that caught my fancy so I was looking at the tag price that said 17,500 pesos (around $450). There came a woman who looks like a customer and a man who also looks like a customer. Both have their backpacks with them. It turned out they were sales attendants of the shop. I was snobbing them for their comments until my husband spoke and hinted to me that those guys were actually sales attendants. End of story - I was the snob. Hahahaaa.

loool, Corzhens you snob! We are always judging others, it's just a part of human nature.