Cycling Snobbery

CAMPYBOB said:
Hey! Joop! Tell the shimaNO snobs which is the best group and why it is Campagnolo!

0029ef02eba3844402694a0e3eb91a88.jpg

Then tell us what year it is!
That was the last groupset that Campag made that was better than a Shimano group. What year indeed. 1980?

No, it was actually a serious question - what brands us Campy components, cost, etc.?

inquiring minds wanna know. Because hey, who can't use another bike?

CAMPYBOB said:
"How many brands can say they were ridden to a Tour win?"

A hellova lot of them. Like Gitane. Oh wait. They ain't around no mo.

"Raleigh won the Tour before anyone rode a Pinarello to a major pro road race win, let alone the Tour."

Pffft! You're stoopid.

DSC02625.jpeg
Yes, I forgot that they'd their first Giro stage win in 1975 in one of those 'epic days' in the snow that Cancellara would throw a fit about if it happened these days. That stage win ended up netting them the overall - that and a 'boycotted Olympics' win in 84.

It took a Spaniard on stuff banned by the IOC (and stuff set to be banned by the UCI on Aug 1 a few days after said Tour) to finally get Pinarello's first Tour win.

Pinarello only has about a decade of extra history on Giant bikes for Christs sake.

Campybob was probably working the coal mines before then...

Reactions: FetishRider
Quote by swami:
"Yes, I forgot that"

No sweat. I'm always happy to correct your skewed, slanted and biased 'facts' of cycling and life. There's no need to thank me. It's just another of the many services I provide to humanity.

"Pinarello only has about a decade of extra history on Giant bikes for Christs sake."

Pinarello was founded in 1952. Giant, in 1972. That's...uh...carry the 6...factor in the 3...divide by the sign of the times over the square of the hair and add the cube of the pube...er...TWENTY years. Not "a decade".

Again, there's no need to thank me. I do this for all the tarded shitmaNO snobs.

Besides, Pinarello was building magnificent machines while Giant spent years building ****.

Pinarello_3037522b.jpg

Giovanni Pinarello was also a storied racer. Do you have any pictures of 'Mr. Giant' in the Giro?

giovanni.jpg

Not to worry...we won't look down our pointy noses at your classic folding bikes or your Miata/Miyata ****.

Ciao, papa.

jhuskey said:
I use to be a bike snob but after years of meditation and self examination I have conquered my ego, as a matter of fact I have become the perfect cyclist.
Haha, so basically when we reach perfection we stop being snobs is that it? :D

Yes, I am beyond reproach. Very perceptive of you to pick up on that.

Campy Bob created Campagnolo from some old bed springs. That was right after he invented Al Gore.

Reactions: Sunflogun
Quote by JH:
"Campy Bob created Campagnolo from some old bed springs."

...and on the Seventh Day I rested.

"Those that fail to train on rest day suffer". Quote from a pro friend of mine.. ok ex-pro.:)

Quote by swami:
"That was the last groupset that Campag made that was better than a Shimano group."

You've just went from stooped to traded at warp 9. Congratulations on your accomplishment, Lord of the Recycled Beer Cans.

Jeezus. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard, man.

"What year indeed. 1980?"

Indeed, Dumass. 2014. A fellow named Nibali. With a mechanical group called Sooper Record PERFECTION.
In a small French race...maybe you can remind us of the name of that race.

Shifting so precise...so smooth...so positive that Durable-Ass Di2point Oh **** was left in the ditches and scattered all over the mountain sides of France.

Yeah...about that calendar...you're in la la land again...still.

IMG_2775.jpg

So...go back to your bars...your temples and massage parlors with that shitmaNO snobbery.

Quote by MBB:
"No, it was actually a serious question - what brands us Campy components, cost, etc.?"

Passion! Artistry! Mechanical Genius! Precision! History! Tradition! Function! Ergonomics! Aesthetics! Manliness! Durability! Spare parts support! Legendary performance! Lightning shifts! And carbon! Lots and lots of carbon.

Forza! Forza Italia! Forza Azzurro!

Oh...did I mention that Campagnolo is simply, unequivocally, beyond dispute THE finest cycling components on the planet? Well...that is the truth. The whole truth. And nothing, but the truth.

Plus, you get immediate membership in the He Man Cycling Snobs Club (HMCSC).

"inquiring minds wanna know. Because hey, who can't use another bike?"

Now you're thinking like a winner!!! Might I suggest a Wilier Cento in your choice of model with Chorus EPS?

Clairelouise84 said:
Ha ha excellent advice, I had hoped not to go down this road as it could open up a can of worms (I am very vengeful) but I think it might be time! I do love feeling victorious and I so rarely get the chance!
The road wouldn't look so tempting if it wasn't a great road to go down. As a matter of fact, this is my favorite road. You'll see me here all the time. This road is my kingdom.

Well - I tried to get through the Wilier custom build app and see what kind of outrageous price such a level of elite performance commands, but alas, our Italian friends don't have the concept of mobile-friendly websites yet.

I did like the ability to customize colors - I came up with a sharp-looking beast. Just couldn't get it to let me put in email address and cassette on the final page.

But I'm gonna guess and say a good $9-$10K at least.

Have to do it later on a desktop.

Zero.9

The Working Man's Race Bike

Current US National Champion, Eric Marcotte piloted a standard Zero.9 frame to win the United States Professional Road Race Championships last year, defeating World Tour riders on much more expensive equipment in the process. Marcotte, a 9-5+ worker at his own chiropractic firm, is the true embodiment of a working man’s hero.

At Wilier, we have taken inspiration from Marcotte’s drive, and put together a package to win on any race course, from criterium to fondo to elite-level competition. At $3,499 for the full build, the Wilier Triestina Zero.9 is class-beating in design and execution.

The Zero.9 draws from the 109 years of heritage within the Wilier Triestina brand. The inspiration shows through in subtle details that will please the racer. The mid-level frame shares identical geometry with the top-of-the-line Zero.7 frame, and we have carefully selected a race winning build to bring the Zero.9 into a very attainable price range. The Ultegra groupset is paired with the Shimano RS21 wheels to offer exceptional function, low weight and good durability.

Bicycling Magazine’s Brad Ford said this of the Zero.9:

“...If you want a bike to toe the start line and be a contender at the finish just add your pedals and bottle cages, and the Zero.9 is ready to go…” - Bicycling Magazine, April 2015.

Like the thoroughbred Zero.7, the Zero.9 sticks with a traditional bottom bracket height to ensure stability when cornering at speed. The 60 ton carbon construction, combined with the BB386EVO bottom bracket, is designed to transmit all of the rider’s power into the road. The ride is tuned for a responsive feel - this frame is designed for the rider who wants to feel good on the bike during long, hard rides, and who has no use for unnecessarily tall head tubes or compromised geometry.

The Zero.9 is made for the rider who cares as much about finishing position as the roads they took to get there. Balancing riding, life and work is difficult, but the Zero.9 will make every pedal stroke worthwhile.

Competitive cyclist sells the Cento Zero.7 with Super Record EPS and Enve Carbon wheels for $11,600 retail and the do work some good deals...so maybe $10,500 shipped. A Cento Zero.7 with Chorus EPS and lesser wheels should be well under $9K. That Zero.7 / Ultegra is only $3,500 retail, so around $3K at the shop door.

I guess it's subjective, but I've never actually experienced it because I'm not that skilled and I don't really expand my knowledge and my interest to that point in cycling. After all, again, it's completely subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinion and their experience differs.

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by swami:
"Yes, I forgot that"

No sweat. I'm always happy to correct your skewed, slanted and biased 'facts' of cycling and life. There's no need to thank me. It's just another of the many services I provide to humanity.

"Pinarello only has about a decade of extra history on Giant bikes for Christs sake."

Pinarello was founded in 1952. Giant, in 1972. That's...uh...carry the 6...factor in the 3...divide by the sign of the times over the square of the hair and add the cube of the pube...er...TWENTY years. Not "a decade".

Again, there's no need to thank me. I do this for all the tarded shitmaNO snobs.

Besides, Pinarello was building magnificent machines while Giant spent years building ****.

Pinarello_3037522b.jpg

Giovanni Pinarello was also a storied racer. Do you have any pictures of 'Mr. Giant' in the Giro?

giovanni.jpg

Not to worry...we won't look down our pointy noses at your classic folding bikes or your Miata/Miyata ****.

Ciao, papa.
If you read Pinarellos website instead of shittypedia you'd know that they didn't start producing complete frames in house until 1961.

See what happens when you drool over crapagnogo licorice cranks. Even Nibali gives those a wide birth...

"Giovanni is disappointed, but his team offers 100,000 pounds to set aside, a considerable sum of money for those times. This money is used to bear the fruit of what shall be the crown of this his dreams: opening a small bike workshop in order to build his own bicycles. We are now in 1953 in Treviso and Cicli Pinarello is born."

1953 is not 1961.

Here's what you really read:

"Giovanni worked hard, harder than he had ever before, but he had so many good ideas. Slowly in 1961 Pinarello sponsors its first ride and its first victory at the Tour de l’Avenir thanks to Guido de Rosso."

By that time he was not only building, but sponsoring racers. He didn't just crank out his first frame and convince some dumb pro to ride an unknown product in good faith and win a major event.

Yeah...a pro win how many years before 1980???

jhuskey said:
Campy Bob created Campagnolo from some old bed springs. That was right after he invented Al Gore.
lol, so I have competition and it's ok because at the end of the day we will make a better funnier community. :) Great job with Al Gore btw!