Cycling Snobbery

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Clairelouise84, Apr 21, 2015.

1. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

Is that a Kardashian?

2. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Nah...some other snob.

It's not easy...being a snob takes great effort and fabulous hair.

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Never confuse snob with slut.

4. CAMPYBOB

In my case, the terms are synonymous.

I'm easy.

Not cheap, but easy.

5. henchman21

henchman21 New Member

Once when I tried out for membership for local a cycling club ,the leader of the club was very elitist and bragged endlessly about his 2500$ carbon fiber frame with this and that 500$ gears, Italian leather bag ...etc, while he scoffed and mocked my simple 300$ touring bike.

6. hajivitra

hajivitra New Member

nice information
    thanks all
    [​IMG]

7. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Member

I guess it's true but it sucks, I hate it and I'm not a fan of it, it's disgusting ot me actually.

8. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

This happens with every single sport. Take a look at tennis, how many snobs are there too? Some play or ride because they love it, others just because it looks good.

9. kana_marie

kana_marie Member

No kidding! Snobs have even taken over hacky sack. If there was ever a game that was intended to play JUST for fun, that's it. I hate snobs.

10. MotownBikeBoy

Looking good is the most important part - perception is reality, or at least the major part of it.

11. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

There are snobs everywhere. There are snobs in ballet I have met. I don't see why cycling would be any different. I'm not so into cycling as a sport, so I have not encountered cycling snobs myself, but I totally understand what you guys are talking about and I sympathize. In dance, I don't have all the "cool" leotards, I just have the cheap functional ones, I don't have a cute dance bag with pointe shoes embroidered on it, I just have a bag. Where I live not many people have the money to really be that snobish, but I have definitely encountered a few, and it's just part of life.

12. CAMPYBOB

"There are snobs in ballet I have met."

You don't say!

Are they effete and elitist?

13. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

:)

We can always ignore them and just keep at our thing. On a different note they can even be amusing to watch because they are so superior. :p

kana_marie likes this.
  14. Grimp

Grimp New Member

In the end of the day you are going to experiece snobbery in any walk of life... especially in the online community where you might just refer to them as "trolls" lol. I think with cycling it depends on the circles you mix with whether you will experience snobbery. For example I can imagine road cyclists could be more snobby than mountain bikers just because their sport is more official with the tour de france etc

15. StrawberryCat

StrawberryCat New Member

Honestly, snobs is one of the reasons why I am a bit hesitant to get more involved in my local cycling community/groups. Especially because I'm interested in cycling more for fun than for competetive reasons. I'm not here to be better than anyone else. I just want to enjoy a nice ride and maybe get a nice workout too.

16. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Those snobs that substitute expensive gear for ability are quickly corrected.

I am not one of those, nor did I consider myself a snob until I looked up the official definitions:

Snob: someone who tends to criticize, reject, or ignore people who come from a lower social class, have less education, etc.

As a cyclist I invested years of effort to be able to hang with the "A" group and several more years to work up from being a wheelsuck to an alpha. When fresh meat arrives, I will form judgements on how invested they are in the sport even before the ride begins.

When some newb arrives on a mountain bike or hybrid and says that they want to get some exercise and have fun, I take a deep breath. With rare exception, they cannot be taken seriously. Its analogous to someone showing up wearing fins and snorkel mask for lap swimming or flip flops on a treadmill. There is a minimum level of equipment required. The ill prepared are either going to be dropped or make the ride far less enjoyable for everyone involved.

There is some correlation between the condition and refinement of someone's gear and their investment to the sport overall. The avid rider is not likley to show up with a poorly maintained or a low quality machine.

Before the ride starts, I have already judged those around me. I've encountered enough aspiring cyclists with grand intentions, most only show up once, few come back. I am not going to share their excitement. I'll be polite and even helpful if necessary, but they have to prove themselves competent, capable and committed before I am take their involvement seriously.

Once underway, preconceptions are either confirmed or crushed. In the end, your skill and ability to integrate with the group is what matters.

I think it is the same for any sport or skilled endeavor. The outsider wants to get in with the old-boys club. The club is going to form snap judgements about the candidate based on appearances - at that point that is all there is to go on. Sometimes they will be wrong. Not until the initiate has proven him or herself will they be admitted. To the outsider this may be seen as snobbery, to the insider it is a rite of passage.

Selfishly, I do not want to ride with you if I don't think you have the attributes to enhance my own riding experience; that makes me a snob.

17. dc31

dc31 New Member

I know what you mean, but I must say that regarding the 'right' gear the 'snobbery' you are witnessing is simply about experience and knowledge. You wouldn't try to eat bread with a spoon for example, these 'snobs' might simply know what they are talking about. There is also a lot of pride in cycling regarding gear and equipment.

18. MotownBikeBoy

Actually Maydog, I don't really think what you are describing as snobbish behavior at all. You earned the right to hold yourself in high regard through blood, sweat, and tears. You put in the work it took to become an Alpha in your group. That is half of what it takes to be a snob - regarding yourself and your abilities as high-level or superior.

But I don't get any sense that you would unfairly judge some newbie to your group - if they had the ability and put in the effort like you did you would accept them - a snob would never accept someone in that way, because their sense of superiority comes from perceiving others as inferior when it's not merited.

19. MotownBikeBoy

Oops ... Another duplicate post, now deleted

20. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

I may have worded it strongly, but I fiqured I can play the devil's advocate or heel for a while. The conversations here have become a bit bland, vanilla and devoid of content lately.

Perspective is important. I have spent my time on the outside of the circle. From the outside looking in, the behavior of a goup can be seen as snobbish.