Cycling Snobbery

I see a lot of this, especially online. However, I often also find respectfully calling offending posts out will get the discussion headed in a productive direction. If not, I just move on.

You should see some of the "evil motorists" trolls I find regularly. :mad:

Cycling, like other sports is highly stratified but very broad in scope - like moving from miniature golf to a 9 hole short course, the local country club, amateur tournaments to the PGA. There is room for everyone and their personal goals. There is also the natural sociological behavior of groups and the "in-crowd" and outsider phenomenon. That being said, within every group there are individuals who are receptive to bringing new folks along as well as those who are too self-absorbed to bother. The point is that it is not monolithic - not everyone in any group shares the same role or even values.

Fortunately, the sport of cycling is always evolving. Here in the midwest, for example, we have an explosion in organized events called "gravel races." These are unsupported, often free "races" on back roads. They tend to be fairly long and challenging but VERY inclusive - anyone can show up on any kind of equipment dressed in any kind of outfit and simply ride the event. The racers race and everyone else just enjoys a long ride. The only goal is finishing within a certain window of time (for safety reason.) The cycling industry is capitalizing on this by marketing bikes with bigger tires, stronger frames, better brakes etc. There are also charity rides with basically a similar "everyone's welcome" ethic.

I understand the snobbery, but what still bothers me is the "snubbery." When I'm riding and meet or pass another cyclist I always give them a wave or at least a nod. I have been surprised by the number of riders who lack the common courtesy to acknowledge another cyclist. It doesn't feel very good to be snubbed and I've gotten to the point of wanting to simply put my nose down and enjoy my ride -but I'm not quite there yet.

I knew a lady who would act so superior and high class whenever she was drinking her wine... Out of a box.

For the record, I will also drink wine out of a box, but I don't act like it makes me something that I'm not... Like superior or high class

This is a problem with most hobbies, particularly those that are rather specialized. Cycling falls in this category and we have an array of high-performance and expensive cycling equipment to deal with. The more high-end and expensive bicycle one owns, the easier it is to frown on a fellow cyclist with a lesser quality bike. Unfortunately this misplaced elitism ruins what is truly a great hobby.

As long as we are happy with what we do, who cares. We don't need to relate with everyone, but we should be able to share with other a passion for a common sport.

On the flip side I don't needs a young upstart telling me that I don't need top on the line equipment just because his mommy and daddy can only afford to buy him Shimano 105. Wine in a box? That's a headache on it's way.

Quote by JH:
"On the flip side I don't needs a young upstart telling me that I don't need top on the line equipment just because his mommy and daddy can only afford to buy him Shimano 105."

Life is too short to ride crappy bikes.

"That's a headache on it's way."

Rolling Rock...green dreams and a headache.

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by JH:
"On the flip side I don't needs a young upstart telling me that I don't need top on the line equipment just because his mommy and daddy can only afford to buy him Shimano 105."

Life is too short to ride crappy bikes.

"That's a headache on it's way."

Rolling Rock...green dreams and a headache.

I have always detested cheap **** but that is all I could afford for a good part of early years.

Same here. Red, White & Blue...Wiedemann's...PBR (now the height of hipster haute culture)...Genny Crème Ale...Miller Low Life...

I remember finishing a 105-mile ride, sitting on the bank of the Scioto River and a guy put a Little King in my hand. I thought I had hit the lottery...before there were state lotteries!

They still make Pabst Blue Ribbon? I don't think I've heard that name since probably the mid-1980's. Back in the day when there were a bazillion beer commercials on television (when there were 3 networks, lol) they advertised the hell out of PBR, Miller (If you've got the time, we've got the beer), Old Milwaukee, a couple of others. I don't know if Coors or any of these few they advertize now even existed as national brands back then. I watch maybe an hour of television a month, so I don't really see this stuff any more, but seems like all I see advertised now is Coors and LaBatt's Blue (from Canada, may be a regional thing here).

Only God knows why, MBB, but hipsters from New York Shitty to Portlandia to Madison dig being seen with a PBR.

I have no logical explanation for this mainly urban setting phenomenon. PBR isn't exactly swill, but for it to inspire a trend is...weird.

pbr-hipsters-gatorade.jpeg

Don't blame ME! I'm just a bike snob! Hell, I drink a Busch Light or Miller Light widdy da local Amish!

Coming from near Pennsyltucky, my dad used put the Christmas tree up on a case of...

Strohs-Bohemian-Style-Beer-BottleCan-Cases-24-pack-The-Stroh-Brewery-Co_15073-1.jpg

Yeah, we were Bohemian, broseph! Way cool!

Fire brewed at 2000 degrees? Wait! Wouldn't it evaporate?!?!

Anyone ready for an ice cold Iron City?!?! And we were drinking 'Yingling' before most of America knew what a 'craft beer' (I hate that phrase!) was.

That's too funny - somewhere up in the attic I have that exact Stroh's box packed with old memorabilia from my school days, probably elementary through high school.

Which reminds me - I need to throw out junk.

That's too funny - somewhere up in the attic I have that exact Stroh's box packed with old memorabilia from my school days, probably elementary through high school.

All the kids loved our Christmas tree. It smelled like empties...even over the Blue Sprue pine scent!

The east coast had some real **** beers, too. Rhinegold, Ballentine, and Knickerbocker were the NYC trifecta. Up in New England, we had Black Label (from the Shores of Lake Cochituate in Natick, MA) and Narragansett. Philly had Schmidts and Natty Bo. Even Anheiser-Busch put out **** like Natural Light and Busch Bavarian.

Oh, and then there was Old Milwaukee.

I ignore the snobbery when it happens but I also try not to invite it. If somebody is more skilled or has more years riding I don't pretend to be at their level or capable of rapidly doing what took them years. As for equipment, I get what I can afford and that is good enough for me. I have found a lot of people that will look past some equipment differences and be very helpful and kind without any sort of snobbery.