cycling south of france

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Saintlykeyna, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. Saintlykeyna

    Saintlykeyna Guest

    I was thinking about goipng cycling in the south of france next month. Does anyone have any tips -
    particularly on the availability of accomodation (particularlycampsites); the likely weather,
    recommended routes and travelling with a bike on french trains.

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Travelling with a bike on French trains is by and large a problem. You can take it on some trains
    only. Some will not guarantee that it will arrive with you. Provence should be very nice for cycling
    this time of year.

  3. Saintlykeyna tried to scribble ...

    > I was thinking about goipng cycling in the south of france next month. Does anyone have any tips -
    > particularly on the availability of accomodation (particularlycampsites); the likely weather,
    > recommended routes and travelling with a bike on french trains.

    The area around Perpignan, Argeles, Predet etc on into Andorra is most excellent and very varied
    from flat to mildly hilly, to mountainous. There are route books available at many local bike shops,
    Tourist Info offices and often in Post Offices and other small shops. Guides are also well worth
    asking and paying for, though I guess that would depend a lot on how gnarly or smooth you like the
    biking .. Many of the local maps are a little 'vague' as to exact routes, mainly relying on general
    directions .. ;)

    Campsites abound, we never had a problem with either tents, caravan or motorhome. Weather is lovely,
    generally, this time of year, but when it _does_ rain it's quite heavy and often prolonged.

    North of Hyeres and St Tropez has some great cycling areas, but beware, they may be out of bounds
    atm due to the recent forest fires, some of which are still on-going I believe. Same things really,
    look for local info when you get there, local guides are generally cheap and available .. ;)

    Further North towards le Gorge du Verdon and past has some really challenging trails and mountainous
    areas .. though we haven't 'done' this area much.

    I have no clue about taking bikes on French trains .. ;)

    --
    Digweed '79 Beamish RL 250, '85 Swift Corvette, '88 Ford Escort 1.6 Ghia, '95 Dyna-Tech CroMo Comp,
    '97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi, '02 Schumacher CAT 3000, '03 Losi Kinwald Triple-X, '03 Associated

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Saintlykeyna" wrote ...
    > I was thinking about goipng cycling in the south of france next month. Does anyone have any tips -
    > particularly on the availability of
    accomodation
    > (particularlycampsites); the likely weather, recommended routes and
    travelling
    > with a bike on french trains.
    >
    > Thanks!

    "Bikes on French Trains" seems to be one of the recurring threads on this NG. To take a bike on a
    TGV train (which nearly all long distance trains in France are) the bike must be in a box or bag of
    specified dimensions. I used a box that was too big on half a dozen train trips and got yelled at
    once but was not stopped from taking the bike on the train.

    Some of the slower local trains will take assembled, unboxed bikes; these are indicated by a bicycle
    symbol on the schedule.

    www.voyages-sncf.com/indexe.htm is the SNCF website. They've got a section explaining the bicycle
    rules, and the trip planner lets you pick out trains that will accomodate bikes that are not boxed
    or bagged. HTH,
    --
    mark

  5. Saintlykeyna