Cycling Studies in Melb - get on board!!

Gags

Guest
For Melb-based peoples....

A while ago someone posted a link in here to a physiology student doing his
PhD who wanted some test subjects. I followed up on this and I am now about
to take part in a couple of studies. The guy running the trials is looking
for some more participants who are at a good level of fitness and cycle for
at least 10 hours a week.

The initial trial that I am doing is studying the "effects of fat adaptation
and cho restoration on AMPK activation". It goes for four weeks with
activites for the first and last week. It involves an interval session at
the start followed by 5 days of a high fat or high carb (cho) diet (please
let me be in the high fat group!!!) combined with training on each day. Day
6 is is high carb diet and rest and day seven is the experimental trial that
involves a muscle biopsy, 60 min at 70% VO2 max and another biopsy. There
is then a 2 week "washout" period where you do what you want and then the
week is repeated with the difference being a swap from high fat to high
carbs for the 5 days (or vice versa).

Here are the pros and cons as I see them for the trial....

Cons:
Trials involve muscle biopsy from the quads (at start and end of certain
sessions).
Prob need flexible work hours to be able to attend some sessions.

Pros:
Get to do a free initial screening VO2 max test and get full printout of
results.
Get provided food by a dietician for the required parts of the trial.
Get compensated for your efforts ($650 for the trial I described above).

I am also going to sign up for another subsequent trial that examines the
"effects of 'train low, compete high' on training adaptation and
performance". This one is a bit longer but the compensation is $750.

As I was thinking of buying a wind trainer anyway, I will use some of this
money to get a decent one that I will use during the trial and will have
some change left over for more bike bling.

The testing is done at RMIT in Bundoora.

If anyone is interested (esp BR riders) then email me and I will pass on the
details....or you could look up the original post and contact Wee Kian
direct.

Cheers,

Gags

"my nick" underscore 44 at tee pee gee dot com dot au

"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For Melb-based peoples....

> Cons:
> Trials involve muscle biopsy from the quads (at start and end of certain
> sessions).

Anyone who has had a muscle biopsy done will tell you the amount they're
paying is not enough....
*ow*
Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Gags......bewere the muscle biopsy. They can hurt, and keep you off the bike for a while.

Also, are you doing the MONT 24 solo with me? I will be flying down for the Kona 12 hour for a hit-out, so will catch up with you then.

Rhino-x wrote:

> Gags......bewere the muscle biopsy. They can hurt, and keep you off the
> bike for a while.
>
> Also, are you doing the MONT 24 solo with me? I will be flying down for
> the Kona 12 hour for a hit-out, so will catch up with you then.
>
> --
> Rhino-x

NO! He's teaming up with ME! So THERE!

Tam