Cycling sunglasses

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jwroubaix, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jwroubaix

jwroubaix New Member

I'm looking to buy some cycling sunglasses. Am I better
    off buying some cheap ones off eBay or am I better
    off spending more money on som Oakleys or Giros? Is there
    really a difference? Also what color of lenses are best for cycling?

Tags:

2. Apis

Apis New Member

Whatever you get make sure they are something that actually fits your face when you are looking out from under your cycling helmet.

I like better glasses, and as for color...low light=amber, bright light=polarized greens or browns (my preferences).

3. OldGoat

OldGoat New Member

Key in glasses is fit, clarity, wind-blocking and comfort. Some are made for wider faces, some for narrow ones. Several folks in my club wear clear workshop safety glasses, bought for $10 or so at Home Depot or Lowes, great for cloudy, low light or night-time riding. I wear Bolle Mongrels, bought (with 3 sets of interchangeable lenses) on sale for less than $35. It's not about what they cost, and nobody you're passing can see (or cares about) the brand name of your shades as you blow by.

4. bajadock

bajadock New Member

I'll stick with the ZZ Top's "Cheap Sunglasses".

Ditto on fit and I like as much wind coverage for my eyes as possible. We contact lensers can't handle the downhill wind and protection v. bugs.

Uphill wind for slow guys like me is not a problem. Any ideas on prevention of bees jumping into your helmet? I'm very talented at that sport.:eek:

5. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

I'd never thought about using my safety glasses. I bought a set a couple of years ago on sale at Home Depot that have 2 sets of plastic lenses, clear and tinted.

Good tip OldGoat, I think I'll give those a try.

6. vspa

vspa Active Member

I just bought cheap-generic eyewear that fit my face very well, so far handle sweet and fog ok and give me ok sun protection.

However the seller lack more specifications, like UV protection and that stuff... they probably don't have it.

Eyewear and apparel in general are things you need to try on before buying, i wouldn't choose Ebay.

Check out The Hurt Locker movie, some of the soldiers have nice sport-like eyewear !

7. genedan

genedan New Member

Expensive brands like Oakley are mostly about the bling factor. I do have a pair of $200 Oakleys given to me as a gift, and also a pair of $20 performance shades that I bought myself. The Oakleys are more durable and elegant, but then again if you buy 10 of those performance shades in succession they'll last you much longer...

8. kausbose

kausbose New Member

Well agreed to the fact that Oakley's are the bling factor. But they really are different when you go out in the bright SoCal sun. I will swear by my Oakley's. I have used cheap sunglasses but they give me a headache. I will stick to my Oakley's thank you!

9. randochap

randochap New Member

I like my Boles (they also accommodate the prescription inserts I need).

A good all-round lens is rose, but I have a selection for use with the bole Paroles.

10. baker3

baker3 New Member

over the years I have used glasses that have ranged in price from $10 to $200+ Currently i'm using a cheap $30 pair, they are the best ones i've had so far.

11. vvanherk

vvanherk New Member

I'm currently using Oakley Racing Jackets.

Who cares about the Bling. They fit great, and the optics are stellar.

I've also got a backup pair of Racing Jackets that I use for Chain-sawing firewood out back :) The frame broke on them a while ago, and Oakley shipped me new ones!

I've been using Oakley since I bough my first Factory Pilots back 25 years ago. Then I had some Blades, then Razor Blades, then some others I cant even remember. I also have a set of Juliets for Driving and going out, etc.

They are a stellar product all the way around.

12. jemsurvey

jemsurvey New Member

I have been cycling for 20 years and always used inexpensive sunglasses, nothing over $60.00 amd mostly 10-30 dollars. I have a hard time finding good fit glasses because of my wide face and long eyelashes....I hate having my lashes touch the lenses. I had a hard time justifying spending over $150 for glasses. Until I broke down and purchased a pair of Giro Havik 2's because of the full coverage lens size. There is nothing bling about these glasses....they are simply the best glasses I have ever worn. The first time I wore them I forgot I had them on. I never once had to touch them to adjust in four hours of riding. They are light, comfortable, not once did they slip down my nose, my eyes never watered from too much wind, never fogged, never got a drop of sweat on them and my long eylashes don't touch the lenses. The Zeiss lenses are crisp and clear. At the end of the ride I was surprised at how amazed I was of these glasses....I like them.

13. Emp

Emp New Member

+1 for briko! :D

14. 1gunman

1gunman New Member

I use the Oakley Jawbones and they are awesome. Built the custom to match my bike.

15. rparedes

rparedes New Member

I always buy from here:

Long's Cycle Supply: XPD Sunglasses For Cycling