Cycling Sunnies!

optomstudent

Apr 4, 2006
Hi fellow cyclers!

I'm currently conducting a study on different cycling sunglasses and was wondering which sunglasses work best for you and why? what you like/dislike about them? and if you could design your own pair of sunglasses what would you include in them?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated!

Bolle Parole for me. Interchangeable lenses, prescription insert, and they sit off of my face enough to avoid racoon lines.

Oakley M Frames. Pricey little buggers, but they wrap around and keep out the sun from getting in around the sides. Also are fairly light, don't irritate after you've had them on for a couple of hours.

rudy project ekynox for me. good face coverage, light and great quality lenses. use to use oakleys but the price and my rather good skills at losing them meant i headed towards a cheaper pair of glasses.

Briko Skee's for us. Prescription inserts for me when I am not wearing contacts. They were they only sunnies that we found that would take the curvature my prescription requires.
Interchangable lenses.
My wife is Chinese with a small nose and a flatish face. These are the only ones that don't have to much of a curve and will sit on her nose and not her cheeks.

We have bought some Kuto's which fit well but the darkest lens is not dark enough.

Cheers

Geoff

Rudy Project all the way, I have had most all Oakleys, etc, but man Rudys rock, great optics, interchangeable lenses, great coverage, but most off all the optics, they are so so so so clear!

I wear Specialized San Remos; they're nice because they're photochromic (they get darker when it's bright out, lighter when it's not) so if you ride in changing light conditions they work well. Scratch resistance is pretty good, and they're as clear as anything I've ever used (including Rudy's). Specialized claims they were developped using recently declassified military lens technology or something; I just know they work.

lol the cheapest ones that my store sells, usually no more then 10$ with staff discount.

i like them the best so when i scratch,drop,sit on, runover,lose, or get really dirty i don't feel bad about them

when eddy ruled said:
rudy project ekynox for me. good face coverage, light and great quality lenses. use to use oakleys but the price and my rather good skills at losing them meant i headed towards a cheaper pair of glasses.

Rudy Ekynox rules. Serious bug look due to the extensive coverage, but a top quality product.

optomstudent said:
...... and was wondering which sunglasses work best for you and why? what you like/dislike about them? and if you could design your own pair of sunglasses what would you include in them?
From a non-prescription wearer:

Fairly inexpensive sunglasses work best for me, because I will end up damaging them. I won't spend more than say $30 each, so I usually end up buying 2 pairs of close-outs to have a backup pair.

Things I look for:
  • Interchangeable lenses in amber, clear, and grey
  • 100% UV protection
  • Lightweight
  • Wraparound style for wide view
  • Non slip nose and ear pieces
  • Various sizes and/or adjustable nose and arm pieces
  • Good ventilation to prevent fogging in lower speed mountainbike settings, yet need to protect my eyes from direct wind creeping around the frame in high speed road bike settings (very hard to fulfill this requirement)

JohnO said:
Oakley M Frames. Pricey little buggers, but they wrap around and keep out the sun from getting in around the sides. Also are fairly light, don't irritate after you've had them on for a couple of hours.

I agree, I've tried lots of different sunnies and M Frames are the best...the lack of a lower/side frame is great for not obstructing your vision when looking over your shoulder....they don't tend to move around in the wind either...I found myself constantly re-positioning other makes of sunnies back on to my nose....

Sure, they're spendy, but I got mine for $50 from the Oakley Factory sale which is about 5 miles away...
;)

Smith Sport "Mainline" Slider series. I've got 2 pair + 6 different lenses.

My criteria for a good pair of sunglasses- VALUE, PRACTICALITY AND VALUE!

i would suggest prorace bronze "kiss" sunnies from probikekit.com...they're selling for $20 aussie dollars they have 4 different lenses and by far the best sunnies i have ever worn for cycling.

If you break em your only down $20

This is one of the areas that I tend to keep cheap.... WEIRD I KNOW!. I bought three sets of sunglasses of ebay for $10 (all shipped). THey are like x-loops, but they work..and you can't argue with that

For me BBB BSG-23 winner are the best value for money, three interchangeable lenses, clear, yellow and mirror.

There cheap enough so I can afford to use 2 pairs, one with clear lenses and one with the mirror lenses so you don't have to muck around with changing lenses, if you go out early in the morning or later in the day.

Can't fault the optical quality, also endorsed by the Quickstep pro squad.

Also having cheap replacement lenses, means you won't get too upset if you drop them, scratch the lenses or loose them.

I reckon if I damaged a pair of Rudy Projects I'd be really upset as there super pricey here in Oz.

http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod1111.htm

Okay guys it seems like you guys are worried about damaging your sunnies and wasting a good $200 - $300 for a pair of sunnies you are going to damage. My question is how do you damage them? from the effects of the environment during cycling or from physical damage from cycling?

For about 25 years I wore any sunglasses over my contacts, but it got to the point that dust and pollen were making my eyes itch too much to wear contacts while I ride. Now, I have little choice. My prescription will not fit in the inserts, so I had to go with prescription lenses insted of using inserts. The Oakley Square Wire was as much wrap as my prescription would allow without significant distortion. I opted for single vision instead of the progressive lenses I have in my regular glasses. The advantage of single vision is that I get much better peripherial vision. The disadvantage is that I cannot read a map or the small numbers on the computer without taking off the glasses.

optomstudent said:
Okay guys it seems like you guys are worried about damaging your sunnies and wasting a good $200 - $300 for a pair of sunnies you are going to damage. My question is how do you damage them? from the effects of the environment during cycling or from physical damage from cycling?
Most of the damage to my 'sunnies' came from dropping them. I also have a nasty habit of losing them.

Have had Oakley half jackets and Rudy Project Rydon's. I preferred the Rudy projects because of comfort and clearness of the lens.

RickF said:
For about 25 years I wore any sunglasses over my contacts, but it got to the point that dust and pollen were making my eyes itch too much to wear contacts while I ride. Now, I have little choice. My prescription will not fit in the inserts, so I had to go with prescription lenses insted of using inserts. The Oakley Square Wire was as much wrap as my prescription would allow without significant distortion. I opted for single vision instead of the progressive lenses I have in my regular glasses. The advantage of single vision is that I get much better peripherial vision. The disadvantage is that I cannot read a map or the small numbers on the computer without taking off the glasses.
I also have the same problem. I can't read the computer or a map without my progressive lenses. I am also diabetic so I need to read my gloucometer when on long rides. I can't afford prescription riding glasses. I picked up a pair of bifocal safety glasses at ACE hardware for $12.00 and they work great. They are "wrap-around" styled and come in various lens colors including yellow and clear. Since then several guys i ride with also bought them as well. Unfortunately, I live in the New Orleans area and the store I bought them went about 5' under and still has not re-opened or shown any signs of re-opening soon. I foud a website that sells the same or similar ones. They also have stick-ons that you can put on regular sunglasses also

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/klondike-magnifiers.html

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx-20-20-stick-on-bifocals.html

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas1.html

-gawnfishin