cycling support: New Rider Purchasing used bike

cycle4century

Dec 13, 2006
I'd like to purchase my first used road bike. My short term goal is to ride a century, although I would like to advance in the future. I've been riding my trek 7200 for the last year and average 22 miles a day I think I out grew the trek in 3 months.

I just found this used bike locally for sale that I would like to consider until I can really afford a higher end bike. I have no idea what questions to ask in purchasing or even if the bike stats are what I need to accomplish my goals. I'm not sure about the size 54cm. My trek is 44.5 cm frame and I'm 5'6" and should I only consider a womens bike. My trek is a mens.

Thank you in advance, any help would be appreciated. Ann

This GT Force
54 Cm Chromoly Frame is strong and light. Paint is Excellent
24 Speeds
Shimano RSX Integrated Shifter and Brakes
Shimano RSX Derailleurs
Shimano RSX 3 Sprocket Aluminum Crank Set
Shimano Exage Brakes
New Specialized Body Geometry seat
Araya 700 Aluminum Rims with Shimano RSX Wheel Hubs
Front and Rear Quick Release Hubs
100 - 130 PSI Tires
Look F ARC Pedals
Modolo Aluminum Handle Bars

\
01010201020101040520070622be6963c67cc41d1c23003e39.jpg

Hello Ann

you say you are 5 6", that's about 168cm in my language - to me that bike looks rather too big for you - with a road bike you want something where you will have good standover height, a distance of a couple of cms or so between your crotch and the top bar of the bike.

There are many other important elements in sizing bike fit though, but this is a good start.

But, I would say, have a look for something more in your size - your local bike shop might give you an idea what size you need.

Have a look at this site: http://www.womenscycling.com.au/inform.php?a=4&b=20&c=335

good luck.

Thank you, I'm glad I asked. I could have made a costly amateur mistake. I will wait and start looking for a new bike that would be better suited for me. I the mean time I'll truck on my trek, lol

Any suggestion on increasing the performance on my trek 7300

thanks again Ann

janiejones said:
Hello Ann

you say you are 5 6", that's about 168cm in my language - to me that bike looks rather too big for you - with a road bike you want something where you will have good standover height, a distance of a couple of cms or so between your crotch and the top bar of the bike.

There are many other important elements in sizing bike fit though, but this is a good start.

But, I would say, have a look for something more in your size - your local bike shop might give you an idea what size you need.

Have a look at this site: http://www.womenscycling.com.au/inform.php?a=4&b=20&c=335

good luck.

cycle4century said:
Thank you, I'm glad I asked. I could have made a costly amateur mistake. I will wait and start looking for a new bike that would be better suited for me. I the mean time I'll truck on my trek, lol

thanks again Ann
Ann: go to www.wrenchscience.com and go through their "fit calculator". It involves taking accurate measuements of various parts of your body (height, torso, inseam, arms) and then gives you an idea of what dimensions you're looking for in a bike.

The dimensions you should look for are seat tube height (which is usually the size referred to for a bike - e.g. 54, 52, 56), but even more importantly, the "top tube length". That is what determines how you reach the handle bars. It is much easier to accomodate for a seat tube that is a little short or a little tall (but not much) than it is to accomodate for a top tube that is too short, but especially, for one that is too long.

You will also have an idea of the minimum "stand over" height you need, which is simply the measurment from the ground to the top of the top tube - in other words, what you'd have to straddle. This should be a minimum of about 1 inch in your stocking feet and a little more in your shoes. It does not have to be very large, but you probably want that sort of minimum.

If you can get roughly the dimensions you need, you can accomodate to yourself by raising or lowering the seat tube, and change the handlebar stem in terms of length, rise, etc. You can also even get the bars up pretty high with riser stems and/or steering tube extensions.

That said, at 5-6, you're PROBABLY looking for something in the 50-52 cm size (e.g. seat tube length).

If you have your rough dimensions from the fit calculator, you can compare that to the bike that you're looking at. Major manufacturers have charts with all these dimensions for a given bike and size, and have archives of past years.

If you don't have that info, simply ask the seller to make the measurements and tell you what they are.

Good luck.

cycle4century said:

thanks again Ann
Hi,

I used a hybrid bike for touring. One option that is the most cost effective is changing your tires to somthing with a little less tread. And a little thinner. There are other options but I would rather save my money and put it towards a new or used bike. You could always deck the bike with paniers and ride the whole weekend. I used to ride to Niagra Falls and back over the course of 3 days from Toronto. Just stay in a park over night. Its great fun. After doing that, a century is just fun.

Either way, have fun!!!

Mike

Mike1970 said:
Hi,
I used to ride to Niagra Falls and back over the course of 3 days from Toronto. Just stay in a park over night. Its great fun. After doing that, a century is just fun.

Mike
Just curious where you stayed, and whether you had any issues at night. I was cycling in the St. Catharines area, and saw a guy walking with a wheeled suitcase. 3 hours later, on my way back, he was still walking, so I had to ask. HE WAS WALKING FROM TORONTO TO NIAGARA FALLS, ON A BET!! He was on day 5 of the 120 km walk, taking a day off in a kind farmer's barn when it rained. He mentioned his concern fro finding a hidden spot to sleep, to be undisturbed by the cops. Craziest guy I ever met while cycling :) .

melslur said:
Just curious where you stayed, and whether you had any issues at night. I was cycling in the St. Catharines area, and saw a guy walking with a wheeled suitcase. 3 hours later, on my way back, he was still walking, so I had to ask. HE WAS WALKING FROM TORONTO TO NIAGARA FALLS, ON A BET!! He was on day 5 of the 120 km walk, taking a day off in a kind farmer's barn when it rained. He mentioned his concern fro finding a hidden spot to sleep, to be undisturbed by the cops. Craziest guy I ever met while cycling :) .
Hi,

I have a friend who lives between Grimbsby and Stoney Creek which is. There are not many places to stay as far as camping goes. But you could get away with a bivy
or a Hennessy Hammock if you find a hiding place.No fire though. If you get caught you get kicked. I have done this trip twice. But have not camped it. But im sure you could get away with it. There are a lot of parks and treed area along the way.(Along the esacarpment would be a place I would look.) I have in other places. It's not an easy ride. But it is rewarding.I was also in my early twenties when I did this last.

Mike

Camilo said:
Ann: go to www.wrenchscience.com and go through their "fit calculator".
I strongly agree.

The whole trick to buying a used bike is getting the fit right. Fit affects your efficiency, comfort and performance every single minute that you're on the bike. Nothing else even comes close in importance. It can be tempting when you're looking at a bike that has high end components but, if the fit isn't right, it isn't a good deal for you regardless of how low the price might be. When buying a used bike the correct frame size has come first.

Cycling rule of thumb: Don't buy a GT road or mountain cycle!

GT's got BMX cred, all others are funkeeee...