cycling team radios

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
I was wondering what some pretty inexpensive team radios would cost. Our team is starting to race some bigger races next year and am wondering if its worth the cost. Since were all juniors, I dont really see a point in having them but it just dawned on me that we'd be pretty pro if we had them:p. Anyone ever use them before?

Basic kiddie 2 way radios are cheap. But guess VOX function would be handy which would require going a bit upmarket.

Rudy there is a company called StarCast who makes these kind of radios. They are bit pricey. I believe the least expensive model costs almost $400 per radio/box. Motorola also makes a box but I think they are way expensive. Good Luck!

rudycyclist said:
I was wondering what some pretty inexpensive team radios would cost. Our team is starting to race some bigger races next year and am wondering if its worth the cost. Since were all juniors, I dont really see a point in having them but it just dawned on me that we'd be pretty pro if we had them:p. Anyone ever use them before?

Before you go out and spend a bunch of money you should make sure you would even be able to use them. I'm out in the Pacific NW, so the rules may be different where you are from, but here even in NRC (National Race Calendar) races only the Pro teams are allowed to use race radios. Even our 1,2 women who were racing in the pro field would not have been allowed them. Otherwise all radios, ipods or anything else with ear buds/headphones etc. are stictly prohibited and you will get thrown out of the race if you're caught using them.

Eden said:
Before you go out and spend a bunch of money you should make sure you would even be able to use them. I'm out in the Pacific NW, so the rules may be different where you are from, but here even in NRC (National Race Calendar) races only the Pro teams are allowed to use race radios. Even our 1,2 women who were racing in the pro field would not have been allowed them. Otherwise all radios, ipods or anything else with ear buds/headphones etc. are stictly prohibited and you will get thrown out of the race if you're caught using them.

Yea, in one of my earlier races, there were these two guys that had race radios and when the officials were like "if you have radios, they are not allowed" these two guys got called out and the peleton just laughed and was like "are you serious"?! It's a crit!

Is there a radio out there you could use for just training that are not over priced or out of reach.

i.e. just car to rider only and do not need a trailer to carry along.

Heap!

Go to your local Frys or CompUSA and get one of those so called walkie-talkie running on running on FRS bands. It's more than adequate and compact and cheap enough.