cycling terminology

kylekopid

Mar 1, 2005
Hey guys, I'm new in the biking scene. Can you guys name off a bunch of terminology that a newbie wouldn't know? Thanks.

Heh, this could be the best troll ever! :cool:

OK, who can name the most obscure term?

I'll go with KOPS.

kylekopid said:
Hey guys, I'm new in the biking scene. Can you guys name off a bunch of terminology that a newbie wouldn't know? Thanks.

I'm always good for Q-factor and B-screw adjustment . . . but that's just me.

And, yeah, this one's got "TROLL" written ALL over it....

artemidorus said:
Looks like the trolls are staying under their bridges. What does "KOPS" mean?

That's the Knee Over Pedal Spindle way of setting up a seat.

blazingpedals said:
Just remember, clipless pedals don't use clips, but you clip into them to use them. :confused:
And tubular tires don't use tubes, but clinchers do...

blazingpedals said:
Just remember, clipless pedals don't use clips, but you clip into them to use them. :confused:
Blazingpedals, Thanks for bringing this up. That has always bugged the heck out of me. I think a grassroots movement needs started to get this terminology changed.

My offering would be "Drafting", it's not just for NASCAR..

rockitj said:
And tubular tires don't use tubes, but clinchers do...
Tubulars do use tubes. They're 'sewn up' into the tire, thus the other name for tubulars is 'sewups.' If you cut into a tubular you'll find the tube...

On the rivets is one of my favorites. Means you're hurting like hell.

It's just as bad for the old stuff, where the cage holding the strap in place wasn't a cage or a trap, it was a 'toe clip,' even though the clip was actually on the bottom of the shoe. I always referred to them as clips, straps, and cages, and was always corrected.

As with most things bicycle-related, you can find an awful lot of terms in Sheldon Brown's glossary but even he doesn't have good stuff like "on the rivets.' I'd never heard of that one, but it doesn't sound very fun!

As with most things bicycle-related, you can find an awful lot of terms in Sheldon Brown's glossary but even he doesn't have good stuff like "on the rivets.' I'd never heard of that one, but it doesn't sound very fun![/QUOTE]

The old saddles used to have rivets on the noses, and when racers would get tired they would end up slowly sliding forward on the saddle towards the rivets.

One can also 'tighten the screws' or 'put the hammer down.' Both mean going hard. Tightening the screws means to increase the speed, whereas putting the hammer down means to go all out.

Most cycling language is self explanatory, but a little bit odd. Dragging, knackered, smashed - all mean tired. Going well, fit, strong, all mean you're in good shape at the moment.