Cycling, the dirtiest sport???

On May 23, 1:58 am, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>  Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Ever heard of Walsh?

> Yes.  Did he write any books about doping before the 1998 Tour
>
> > Who was the biggest name being linked with
> > doping?

> Riis?  Pantani?
>
> > Festina came first, no doubt about it, and Tricky **** was the
> > name in the middle of that, but do you really think that Virenque
> > would have been enough to keep the inquisition going?

> Seriously, you have no idea how big a trauma the Festina affair was in
> France and how downright *painful* the whole 1998 Tour was to a lot of
> people.   A lot of second-rate politicians and journalists jumped on the
> bandwagon and made sure to keep the issues in the news.

I was right across the border in Kaiserslautern then with my kids
racing for RSC Kaiserslautern and their coach working for Telekom and
it was talked about and in the local paper and Radsport news of
course, but wasn't the later circus. I guess I missed what you saw. We
were busy discussing Riis, Jan, whether they could get along, Jan's
head, etc...more than the doping stuff. Maybe we were too busy racing
to pay a lot of attention, but it was never a big conversation that I
heard at races either. We were busy herding/getting a bunch of kids
from the club ready, or wrapping up after, most of the time so that
could explain some of it.

> > No the needed to
> > sacrifice Pantani, and chase after Lance. How many stories from the
> > Euro press would you like me to link you to involving Lance, and
> > doping?

> You got it backwards.  Doping was a huge story over there and then
> Armstrong showed up (and behaved like an asshole), and because he was
> the most successful rider of the time and because many people strongly
> suspected him to be on the juice, then of course a lot of the
> doping-related stories were built around him, but it is completely wrong
> to say that the whole thing started as a witch hunt targeted at Lance.

Never said that. We could go back to Tom Simpson. It really wasn't
worldwide news until they went after the "cancer survivor" that moved
it into lots of the mainstream press, along with the stuff that got
into the mainstream Brit press, and L'Equipe kept pounding it. I
could've missed a lot of earlier stuff that didn't make it to the
Brit, or local German press. I didn't have a tv but i don't remember
seeing it regularly on either Sky news, or sport much either which was
always at the gym and other places.

> >  The same star spangled blinders that had Sandy and other joking I'm
> > more supportive of France than most French,

> What Sandy considers being "supportive of France" is probably not
> something that I would want to be associated with.
>
> > or the fact that I still
> > consider Germany, specifically Rhineland-Pfalz to be our family's
> > second home, and would love to be able to live between the two?

> I bet some of your best friends are furriners too. :)
> (relax, I am just kidding)
>
> Like it or not, you come across as one of the folks who (1) circle the
> wagons the minute Lance and doping are mentioned in the same sentence,
> and (2) talk a lot about "them" going after Lance.  There is nothing
> wrong with that as long as you are conscious of your own bias, which you
> don't seem to be.  It's great that you love your country and are proud
> of it, but not every issue is an "us against them" story.
>
> jyh.

Since the charge was led by Walsh, who is Irish and living in
England, and going after Lance had nothing to do with his nationality
I still have no idea where you get that I'm (1) defending Lance, and
(2) Think it had anything to do with his nationality. 'Us against
them", in this case, and most others involving "personalities" is the
Media against them. The goal is dig up stories, the dirtier the
better. That's what sells. Princess Di was an "Us against them" and
they got a great story out of it in the end didn't they?
One drunk driver, and a bunch of reckless Media sold a shitload of
papers, and other media. It's still making them money today, and will
forever.
Bill C

On May 23, 12:08 am, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> And that is why I stated my point as "So why does [American] Big Corporate
> Media (tm) _STILL_report doping in cycling?" From a newsworthy standpoint,
> LANCE and cycling have gone separate ways.- Hide quoted text -

Because the crusade came to other sports here in the US now, and
cycling is what really brought it to their attention first, so they
keep at it. Without Flandis, and Lance on the mainstream scene it's
not huge news, but even the Flandis stuff really went away after he
lost the hearing here. The CAS challenge was pretty much ignored. I
regularly read Foxsport, CNN/Si, and ESPN news and cycling is off
their map totally except for a tiny blurb occasionally now.
Bill C

On May 23, 8:58 am, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 23, 12:08 am, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > And that is why I stated my point as "So why does [American] Big Corporate
> > Media (tm) _STILL_report doping in cycling?" From a newsworthy standpoint,
> > LANCE and cycling have gone separate ways.- Hide quoted text -

Here's another story which I think is pretty typical for reporting on
non big four sports here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/8166862/Gold-medalist-Pettigrew-admits-to-doping

Same as the weightlifting story it was pretty well buried despite it
being part of on-going criminal proceedings. Where's Sen. Comcast,
oooppppss, I mean Specter on this sports scandal, or for that matter
the NBA gamefixing/gambling mess. He's the poster boy for everything
wrong with the sports crusaders.
Bill C
Bill C

On May 22, 12:04 pm, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:

>  I also never noticed that my two favorite pro-tour type racers,
> Zabel, and Udo Bolts are Americans.

Well sure they are. Just give Obama time. One World. One
Government.

A wise leader telling the world how much meat to eat and how hot their
room should be. And the price of arugula! Whoa! Save us wise man!

Get ready, the sacrifices will be your's, not his.

ASSBAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
> A wise leader telling the world how much meat to eat and how hot their
> room should be. And the price of arugula! Whoa! Save us wise man!

Consider yourself lucky no one is telling you how hot your podium girls
should be served.

On May 23, 11:13 am, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 22, 12:04 pm, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >  I also never noticed that my two favorite pro-tour type racers,
> > Zabel, and Udo Bolts are Americans.

> Well sure they are.  Just give Obama time.  One World.  One
> Government.
>
> A wise leader telling the world how much meat to eat and how hot their
> room should be.  And the price of arugula!  Whoa!  Save us wise man!
>
> Get ready, the sacrifices will be your's, not his.
>
> ASSBAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have I got an organization for you:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/22/AR2008052203905_pf.html

On May 23, 1:10 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 23, 11:13 am, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On May 22, 12:04 pm, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >  I also never noticed that my two favorite pro-tour type racers,
> > > Zabel, and Udo Bolts are Americans.

> > Well sure they are.  Just give Obama time.  One World.  One
> > Government.

> > A wise leader telling the world how much meat to eat and how hot their
> > room should be.  And the price of arugula!  Whoa!  Save us wise man!

> > Get ready, the sacrifices will be your's, not his.

> > ASSBAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Have I got an organization for you:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/22/AR200...

I'll bet you're still feeling very altruistic and charitable in giving
away other people's money and controlling their lives. lol

You don't need to listen to anyone but nObama nOprahma himself:

"We can't drive our SUVs and, you know, eat as much as we want and
keep our homes on, you know, 72 degrees at all times, whether we're
living in the desert or we're living in the tundra and then just
expect every other country is going to say OK, you know, you guys go
ahead keep on using 25 percent of the world's energy, even though you
only account for 3 percent of the population, and we'll be fine. Don't
worry about us." --Obama

The temperature of my room, and how much I eat, how much gas my car
burns, are affairs of the world and are to be regulated by Obama.

One People -- People are one. One Government. One World. One
Ruler. One Borg.

It is the leftist collectivist mysticism. Nothing else matters.
Assimilate or die.

"Political tags -- such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist,
fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth -- are never basic
criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert
A Heinlein
http://freedomkeys.com/isms.htm

On May 23, 4:17 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 23, 4:15 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > The temperature of my room, and how much I eat, how much gas my car
> > burns, are affairs of the world and are to be regulated by Obama.

> He said nothing about regulations there.

Well if all he was going to do is argue a case and pass no law, then I
would have no problem. He doesn't mean that, and you know it.

> He's talking about world opinion. Any implied
> counter reaction would come from the world, not
> Obama.

That's what I mean. He thinks the "world's opinion" -- whatever the
vague hell of incoherent rambling that is -- matters to me. Like
George Bush, he isn't my leader. He neither represents, nor protects,
my interests. And that is exactly what he said.

"We aren't going to tell people what they want to hear. We are going
to tell them the truth." -- Obama

The truth according to guru arugula munching Obama, that is.

On May 23, 5:51 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 23, 4:17 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On May 23, 4:15 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The temperature of my room, and how much I eat, how much gas my car
> > > burns, are affairs of the world and are to be regulated by Obama.

> > He said nothing about regulations there.

> Well if all he was going to do is argue a case and pass no law, then I
> would have no problem.  He doesn't mean that, and you know it.

Where did you get the quote? I'd like to see the context.

Bret

On May 23, 10:13 am, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> Get ready, the sacrifices will be your's, not his.
>
> ASSBAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh heh! So SLAVE BOY- filled up the tank on your clown car lately?
There's nothing to "get ready" for. Too late for the KY, your right
wing pals have jammed that nozzle where it will inflate your assbag.
-Paul

On May 23, 8:45 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 23, 10:13 am, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Get ready, the sacrifices will be your's, not his.

> > ASSBAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Heh heh! So SLAVE BOY- filled up the tank on your clown car lately?
> There's nothing to "get ready" for. Too late for the KY, your right
> wing pals have jammed that nozzle where it will inflate your assbag.
> -Paul

Calling SoTS a right winger is like calling Pat Buchanan a
progressive, and as accurate.
Bill C

On May 24, 12:40 pm, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 23, 8:45 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On May 23, 10:13 am, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Get ready, the sacrifices will be your's, not his.

> > > ASSBAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> > Heh heh! So SLAVE BOY- filled up the tank on your clown car lately?
> > There's nothing to "get ready" for. Too late for the KY, your right
> > wing pals have jammed that nozzle where it will inflate your assbag.
> > -Paul

> Calling SoTS a right winger is like calling Pat Buchanan a
> progressive, and as accurate.
> Bill C

Nonsense. He's a right winger alright, but what exactly would you
call him? A "mad dog conservative"? I keep trying to get him to
emigrate to a right wing paradise like Iraq or Somalia with no govt
and no taxes, but he doesn't want to put his ass where his mouth is.

I figure he just enjoys complaining about the price of life in an
advanced country, while enjoying the benefits. A little time in a
place with no govt would do him good.
-Paul

On May 24, 6:51 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 24, 12:40 pm, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Heh heh! So SLAVE BOY- filled up the tank on your clown car lately?
> > > There's nothing to "get ready" for. Too late for the KY, your right
> > > wing pals have jammed that nozzle where it will inflate your assbag.
> > > -Paul

> > Calling SoTS a right winger is like calling Pat Buchanan a
> > progressive, and as accurate.
> >  Bill C

> Nonsense.  He's a right winger alright,  but what exactly would you
> call him?  A "mad dog conservative"?  I keep trying to get him to
> emigrate to a right wing paradise like Iraq or Somalia with no govt
> and no taxes, but he doesn't want to put his ass where his mouth is.
>
> I figure he just enjoys complaining about the price of life in an
> advanced country, while enjoying the benefits. A little time in a
> place with no govt would do him good.
> -Paul- Hide quoted text -

If anything I'd call him a Libertarian fundamentalist. Totally
something different from a rightwingnut.
Bill C

On May 24, 5:49 pm, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 24, 6:51 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Calling SoTS a right winger is like calling Pat Buchanan a
> > > progressive, and as accurate.
> > > Bill C

> > Nonsense. He's a right winger alright, but what exactly would you
> > call him? A "mad dog conservative"? I keep trying to get him to
> > emigrate to a right wing paradise like Iraq or Somalia with no govt
> > and no taxes, but he doesn't want to put his ass where his mouth is.

> > I figure he just enjoys complaining about the price of life in an
> > advanced country, while enjoying the benefits. A little time in a
> > place with no govt would do him good.
> > -Paul- Hide quoted text -

> If anything I'd call him a Libertarian fundamentalist. Totally
> something different from a rightwingnut.
> Bill C

Nah. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. You
don't see any posts from him ranting about the need to legalize
recreational drug use, gambling, and prostitution. It's all right wing
stuff.
-Paul

On May 25, 12:32 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nah. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.  You
> don't see any posts from him ranting about the need to legalize
> recreational drug use, gambling, and prostitution. It's all right wing
> stuff.
> -Paul- Hide quoted text -

His ideas are based firmly in massive amounts of research on America's
founding fathers, Paine, Adams, Jefferson, etc...Those are those the
ideas that this country was founded on.
His other argument is that Progressives ideas are firmly based, and
any research makes it clear, in the founding ideas, and fathers of the
Soviet Union.
So, while I tend to agree with you that there are major problems in
applying his, and their concepts today, and he and I have argued this
to death, at least his ideas are based on the American system.
The Progressive vision has a whole lot more in common with, and is
inspired much more by Marx, Castro, and Chavez than Washington,
Jefferson, and Adams.
Howard's arguments to the contrary I'm somewhere in the middle.
The claim that Progressives are fighting for people's rights and
freedoms is as demonstrably false as Bush's claims to be doing that.
They are just taking different rights away from people. That's why
SoTS has such a low opinion of all of them.

Bill C

"[T]he child should be taught to consider his instructor...superior to
the parent in point of authority.... The vulgar impression that
parents have a legal right to dictate to teachers is entirely
erroneous.... Parents have no remedy as against the teacher."
-- John Swett
Superintendent of California Public School System (1860s)
http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote_blog/John.Swett.Quote.578F

"When school children start paying union dues,
that's when I'll start representing the interests of school children."
-- Albert Shanker
(1928-1997) former president of the American Federation of Teachers
http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote_blog/Albert.Shanker.Quote.F118

"A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the all-
powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers
control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because
they love their servitude. To make them love it is the task assigned,
in present-day totalitarian states, to ministries of propaganda,
newspaper editors and schoolteachers.... The greatest triumphs of
propaganda have been accomplished, not by doing something, but by
refraining from doing. Great is truth, but still greater, from a
practical point of view, is silence about truth."
-- Aldous Huxley
(1894-1963) Author
Source: forward to Brave New World, 1946 edition

On May 20, 9:34 am, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyone wanna bet this story has no real International legs? Wanna bet
> if almost every member of a country's cycling team tested positive,
> and the team wouldn't be going to the Olympics it'd be huge news?

dumbass,

does anybody wonder why cycling has a marketing problem.

when there is a doping scandal the response from cycling people is
"what about football/baseball/athletics"

On May 25, 9:32 am, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 24, 5:49 pm, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Nonsense.  He's a right winger alright,  but what exactly would you
> > > call him?  A "mad dog conservative"?  I keep trying to get him to
> > > emigrate to a right wing paradise like Iraq or Somalia with no govt
> > > and no taxes, but he doesn't want to put his ass where his mouth is.

> > > I figure he just enjoys complaining about the price of life in an
> > > advanced country, while enjoying the benefits. A little time in a
> > > place with no govt would do him good.
> > > -Paul- Hide quoted text -

> > If anything I'd call him a Libertarian fundamentalist. Totally
> > something different from a rightwingnut.
> >  Bill C

> Nah. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.  You
> don't see any posts from him ranting about the need to legalize
> recreational drug use, gambling, and prostitution. It's all right wing
> stuff.
> -Paul

Dumbass,

You're not reading carefully enough, or you would
discern the difference between SotS's politics and,
for example, those of San Diego Steve.
Yeah, SotS is president of the Hayek Fan Club
(http://hetwaghela.blogspot.com/2006/03/salma-hayek-fan-club.html)
but Bill is correct. He is a libertarian obsessive
wacko, not a movement-conservative obsessive
wacko. Calling him a right wing wingnut is
inaccurate, just like when he calls me a Kommie
(but he's allowed to call me a Kommie, since he's
also kind enough to subsidize Chung's training rides).

Ben

On May 25, 4:28 pm, Amit Ghosh <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 20, 9:34 am, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >  Anyone wanna bet this story has no real International legs? Wanna bet
> > if almost every member of a country's cycling team tested positive,
> > and the team wouldn't be going to the Olympics it'd be huge news?

> dumbass,
>
> does anybody wonder why cycling has a marketing problem.
>
> when there is a doping scandal the response from cycling people is
> "what about football/baseball/athletics"

Hey dumbass, what's the response to "Driving while Black"? It's,"Why
are we being targeted when others aren't?". Same ****, except doping
is an offense.
Selective enforcement is always wrong and unjust. Pointing that out
is NOT wrong. There's no doping in FIFA right? They publicly pollowed
up the allegations coming from the people tied into the Puerto affair,
right?
Same **** is going on in the NFL with "spygate" too.:

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/545399.html
NFL should go after other Spygate culprit

Plain and simple people are people, and should all be treated the
same, with decency, civility, justice, equality, and consideration
unless they have given up those considerations by their own actions.
Plain and simple, until convicted they deserve every benefit of the
doubt and not being smeared, and after doing their assigned penalty
they deserve to be treated as just another person, and given the same
treatment until they do something else to change that.

This is bleeping typical:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=3948
Quoted:

Breaking the law? No problem, just write a new one! This week's
outrage comes to us courtesy of Chicago alderman Richard Mell (D-33).
It seems the gun-owning alderman found himself afoul of a registration
law that he himself helped pass.

The ordinance requires law-abiding gun owners to register their
firearms every year. The only problem for Mell is, he forgot to re-
register. So he decided to do what any red-blooded, gun-registering
politician would do; he wrote a new law that would provide him
amnesty, and allow him an opportunity to re-register his guns. Talk
about the privileged few looking out for themselves. Not only does he
place himself above the law, he apparently sees nothing wrong with
creating a new law if it better suits his personal circumstances!

All they do that pisses me off aside, this is why the ACLU exists, and
there's one hell of a need for the good they do.
I haven't seen anything in the WADA codes stating special
considerations for "special" sports. What I do see is corruption, ass
kissing, and back room deals, same as with the IOC which should stand
for International Organization of Corruption.
See my comments in the other thread about USAC and our regional
people. Same thing.
It's massively more important for the people in charge to be honest,
and transparent than for anyone else. That goes for cops, Wada, IOC,
government, whatever.....That's the one case I'd make the standards
higher and the penalties heavier. Half of this current administration
would be locked up for decades after they leave office for things
ranging from treason on down. During WW2 our government confiscated
companies and all their assets for war profiteering. Not a bad idea
today either.
Lots of people here I disagree with, on lots of things, and I'll
argue my points until hell is frozen over, but I wont treat you, as a
person, any differently and I'd hand you the shirt off my back if you
really needed it.
That's why McCain attacking Obama's patriotism because he never
served in the military is complete, total, and utter BS. He's served
in plenty of other ways. I don't think he, or his wife like America
much, but they've done things to help people, and that's serving the
Country.
It's about having a basic standard and applying it to everyone,
equally, no matter how hard that is to do.
Don't even get me started on the lid who steals a pack of diapers for
his kids, and does 2 years for it while white collar scumbags loot
millions and do 6 months at a country club, if even that.
I'd love to get one of those deals where I steal 20 million or so,
and get fined 5 million, and some probation for it. Pretty good damned
deal, but I still wouldn't do it.
Bill C
Bill C