Cycling, the dirtiest sport???

On May 25, 5:18 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On May 25, 9:32 am, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > If anything I'd call him a Libertarian fundamentalist. Totally
> > > something different from a rightwingnut.
> > >  Bill C

> > Nah. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.  You
> > don't see any posts from him ranting about the need to legalize
> > recreational drug use, gambling, and prostitution. It's all right wing
> > stuff.
> > -Paul

> Dumbass,
>
> You're not reading carefully enough, or you would
> discern the difference between SotS's politics and,
> for example, those of San Diego Steve.
> Yeah, SotS is president of the Hayek Fan Club
> (http://hetwaghela.blogspot.com/2006/03/salma-hayek-fan-club.html)
> but Bill is correct.  He is a libertarian obsessive
> wacko, not a movement-conservative obsessive
> wacko.  Calling him a right wing wingnut is
> inaccurate, just like when he calls me a Kommie
> (but he's allowed to call me a Kommie, since he's
> also kind enough to subsidize Chung's training rides).
>
> Ben- Hide quoted text -

Don't know if you've ever been to Vt. Ben, but that's a perfect
example of how to do Liberal/Libertarian government and leadership
right. I make my Mother-in-Law, who's about as conservative as it gets
in massachusetts. She can't understand how I can't stand Mass., but
love Vt.which is even more liberal.
The difference is that Vt. lives by the "live and let live" everyone
is free and equal, but also responsible for their own actions, and to
the other people of the community. In short, the old school version of
liberalism.
Good stuff here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont
in this section in particular:

Political

Main article: Politics of Vermont

Vermonters have been known for their political independence. Vermont
is one of four states that were once independent (the others being
Texas, California, and Hawaii). It has sometimes voted contrarian in
national elections. Notably, Vermont is the only state to have voted
for a presidential candidate from the Anti-Masonic Party, and Vermont
and Maine were the only states to vote against Franklin D. Roosevelt
in his second election.

Vermont's unique history and history of independent political thought
has led to movements for the establishment of the Second Vermont
Republic and other plans advocating secession.[64] In 2007, about 13%
of Vermont's population supported Vermont's withdrawal from the
Republic. The percentage who supported this in 2005 was 8%.[65][66]

We need a shitload more old school liberals in this country.
Bill C

On May 22, 9:08 pm, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 22, 7:27 pm, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > <snip>

> > > Dumbass -

> > > Of course it won't have international legs. It's weightlifting.

> > > No one cares about weightlifting.

> > > thanks,

> > > K. Gringioni.
> > > ----------------------

> > > You mean nobody in _your_ world_ cares about weightlifting. It's a big
> > > sport
> > > in the Balkan and Slavic regions.

> > Dumbass -

> > The OP wrote about whether the story will have international legs.

> > Big Corporate Media will mostly ignore it because the demographic that
> > drives their ad revenue doesn't reside in the places you mention.

> > So yes, in that context, no one cares about weightlifting.

> > thanks,

> > K. Gringioni.
> > ------------------------------

> > So why does [American] Big Corporate Media (tm) still report doping in
> > cycling? Actually, it's probably because it's about the only aspect of the
> > sport that all readers can easily understand on it's most basic level.

> Dumbass -
>
> Cycling has LANCE.
>
> He was the #2 most marketable sports personality (behind Tiger Woods)
> for a few years.
>
> W/out LANCE, it would be a different story.
>
> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.
> -------------------------
>
> The people that care about LANCE hooking up with Hollywood twentysomethings
> that look like his mom don't give a **** about cycling.
>
> As you said, he _was_ the #2 most marketable sports personality (behind
> Tiger Woods) for a few years. Not anymore.
>
> And that is why I stated my point as "So why does [American] Big Corporate
> Media (tm) _STILL_report doping in cycling?" From a newsworthy standpoint,
> LANCE and cycling have gone separate ways.

Dumbass -

I think there's a novelty to it. The average American doesn't really
understand cycling and the whys and hows of performance enhancing
drugs in endurance sports. It's scandalous to them because they don't
expect it.

Weightlifting and steroids. That's obvious. It would be more shocking
if the weightlifters were clean.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

On May 25, 9:48 pm, Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

> Weightlifting and steroids. That's obvious. It would be more shocking
> if the weightlifters were clean.
>
> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.- Hide quoted text -

Absolutely agreed. It's really amusing to hear Governor Terminator
babble about how he's sponsored drug free IFBB contests. That's like
investing your life in getting a picture of the Easter Bunny.
http://apse.dallasnews.com/news/2005/030805epstein.html
Bill C

On May 23, 5:04 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 23, 5:51 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > He said nothing about regulations there.

> > Well if all he was going to do is argue a case and pass no law, then I
> > would have no problem.  He doesn't mean that, and you know it.

> Where did you get the quote? I'd like to see the context.

He was in the faculty lounge smoking a pipe and wearing a tweed jacket
with patches on the elbows. He was talking about global warming and
toy economic theories he intended to harass his students and
civilization with.

Yeah, global warming, but that context did't matter because he has
some cartoon idea of how much energy some nation is supposed to
consume compared to others. IOW, he's an idiot.

"There is no greater stupidity or meanness than to take uniformity for
an ideal." -- George Santayana, The Life of Reason

On May 25, 2:18 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> He is a libertarian obsessive
> wacko, not a movement-conservative obsessive
> wacko.  Calling him a right wing wingnut is
> inaccurate, just like when he calls me a Kommie
> (but he's allowed to call me a Kommie, since he's
> also kind enough to subsidize Chung's training rides).

Heeaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.....

I started calling you a kommie-fascist-statist, didn't I?

I detached myself from the libertarian party, which I went to from
being a demotard, and so have no affiliations and expect to keep it
that way. I'm homeless. Can I crash on your couch?

Why do you guys have to correct Paul? I keep saying I'm surrounded by
retards here in SR and then he pops up and supplies the evidence with
no effort on my part, which I really appreciated by the way. You see,
if you correct him, and Schwartzsoft is making inroads to AI, then it
might appear he can "learn." But have no fear as I don't think AI is
here yet, except for the mutant breast inspector. I mean that in the
best way.

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
> But have no fear as I don't think AI is here yet,
> except for the mutant breast inspector. I mean that in the best way.

Is that mutant breast, inspector or mutant, breast inspector ?
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessory_breast>

On May 26, 5:36 am, Ted van de Weteringe
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Donald Munro schreef:
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessory_breast

> Fascinating, as was the google image search. Cycling-related page from
> same:http://thegoat.backcountry.com/blog/2007/10/26/the-guardian’s-guide-to-female-biker-fashion/

That's just what we all need, a breast pocket for our flippin, cell
phones while we are riding. Any idiot talking on the cell while riding
deserves to run face first into something.
The first pic though has gotta be a 13 year old males dream, 43
breasts, yeah, that's the ticket!
Bill C

On May 22, 11:33 am, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>  Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >  A handful of grandstanders, and people out to get Lance set this
> > whole mess off, and the politicians ran with it.

> Sometimes your star-spangled blinders make you say really silly thing.
> The big anti-doping hysteria around cycling has nothing to do with
> Armstrong or some desire to "get Lance".  Ever heard of the Festina
> affair?  In France the press and the politicians (first of them then
> Minister of Sports M-G Buffet) were quick to use that as a soapbox of
> sorts, and things have not changed much since then.
>
> jyh.

There was lots of drug testing in cycling even before the Festina
affair. More testing then there is in US Baseball now.

Maybe, Tom Simpson's death during the 1967 tdf started the crack-down
on doping in cycling. I am not sure when it started.

Tom Simpson's death might explain why cycling has been singled out for
more testing. Are there any high profile deaths in US pro sports
linked to performance enhancing drugs? I can't think of one.

In article
<[email protected]>,
Dumbass <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tom Simpson's death might explain why cycling has been singled out for
> more testing. Are there any high profile deaths in US pro sports
> linked to performance enhancing drugs? I can't think of one.

It depends what you want to call "high-profile". If by that you mean a
world-class athlete who died during a competition of causes generally
attributed to drugs, then the answer is no. But then Simpson is the
only case in cycling, and it happened in 1967. If you relax the
definition a bit to admit good or not so good pros who died out of
competition with drugs rumored to be a factor, then cycling has Bert
Oosterbosch and the young Belgian/Dutch sudden death epidemics of the
late 80s to early nineties. But in that case, we should probably take a
harder look at the cases of these fat young football and baseball
neo-pros who die every other spring & summer during MLB & NFL training
camps, seemingly due to previously undetected "heart defects" and heat
exhaustion. I will leave it to Magilla to tell us what to think of
these accidents.

jyh.

On May 29, 10:52 am, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>
>  Dumbass <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Tom Simpson's death might explain why cycling has been singled out for
> > more testing.  Are there any high profile deaths in US pro sports
> > linked to performance enhancing drugs?  I can't think of one.

> It depends what you want to call "high-profile".   If by that you mean a
> world-class athlete who died during a competition of causes generally
> attributed to drugs, then the answer is no.  But then Simpson is the
> only case in cycling, and it happened in 1967.  If you relax the
> definition a bit to admit good or not so good pros who died out of
> competition with drugs rumored to be a factor, then cycling has Bert
> Oosterbosch and the young Belgian/Dutch sudden death epidemics of the
> late 80s to early nineties.  But in that case, we should probably take a
> harder look at the cases of these fat young football and baseball
> neo-pros who die every other spring & summer during MLB & NFL training
> camps, seemingly due to previously undetected "heart defects" and heat
> exhaustion.  I will leave it to Magilla to tell us what to think of
> these accidents.

There was some fat young MLB pitcher who died in spring training on a
hot Florida day and they say he had taken ephedrine. This was within
the past ten years, IIRC.

Dumbass wrote:
> Are there any high profile deaths in US pro sports
> linked to performance enhancing drugs? I can't think of one.

Nice troll.

Bob Schwartz

On May 29, 12:02 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 10:52 am, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,

> >  Dumbass <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Tom Simpson's death might explain why cycling has been singled out for
> > > more testing.  Are there any high profile deaths in US pro sports
> > > linked to performance enhancing drugs?  I can't think of one.

> > It depends what you want to call "high-profile".   If by that you meana
> > world-class athlete who died during a competition of causes generally
> > attributed to drugs, then the answer is no.  But then Simpson is the
> > only case in cycling, and it happened in 1967.  If you relax the
> > definition a bit to admit good or not so good pros who died out of
> > competition with drugs rumored to be a factor, then cycling has Bert
> > Oosterbosch and the young Belgian/Dutch sudden death epidemics of the
> > late 80s to early nineties.  But in that case, we should probably takea
> > harder look at the cases of these fat young football and baseball
> > neo-pros who die every other spring & summer during MLB & NFL training
> > camps, seemingly due to previously undetected "heart defects" and heat
> > exhaustion.  I will leave it to Magilla to tell us what to think of
> > these accidents.

> There was some fat young MLB pitcher who died in spring training on a
> hot Florida day and they say he had taken ephedrine.  This was within
> the past ten years, IIRC.- Hide quoted text -

One could argue that Tom Simpson died of dehydration or heat-related
causes, incindentally setting off a 40 year doping witch hunt in
cycling.

"In the wake of Tommy Simpson's death the International Union of
Cycling (UCI) banned the use of any performance enhancing drugs in the
sport."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/northeast/series6/cycling.shtml

On May 25, 7:54 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 25, 2:18 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > He is a libertarian obsessive
> > wacko, not a movement-conservative obsessive
> > wacko. Calling him a right wing wingnut is
> > inaccurate, just like when he calls me a Kommie
> > (but he's allowed to call me a Kommie, since he's
> > also kind enough to subsidize Chung's training rides).

> Heeaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.....
>
> I started calling you a kommie-fascist-statist, didn't I?
>
> I detached myself from the libertarian party, which I went to from
> being a demotard, and so have no affiliations and expect to keep it
> that way. I'm homeless. Can I crash on your couch?
>
> Why do you guys have to correct Paul? I keep saying I'm surrounded by
> retards here in SR and then he pops up and supplies the evidence with
> no effort on my part, which I really appreciated by the way.

Ah- see? Straight from the SLAVE'S mouth. He's not a Libertarian.
But what's he doing in a liberal, big govt stronghold like SR,
"surrounded by retards"? He could have his pick of "low govt" and
"no govt" locales. <shrug> It's a mystery. Maybe he's retarded.
-Paul

On May 29, 11:52 am, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>
>  Dumbass <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Tom Simpson's death might explain why cycling has been singled out for
> > more testing.  Are there any high profile deaths in US pro sports
> > linked to performance enhancing drugs?  I can't think of one.

> It depends what you want to call "high-profile".   If by that you mean a
> world-class athlete who died during a competition of causes generally
> attributed to drugs, then the answer is no.  But then Simpson is the
> only case in cycling, and it happened in 1967.  If you relax the
> definition a bit to admit good or not so good pros who died out of
> competition with drugs rumored to be a factor, then cycling has Bert
> Oosterbosch and the young Belgian/Dutch sudden death epidemics of the
> late 80s to early nineties.  But in that case, we should probably take a
> harder look at the cases of these fat young football and baseball
> neo-pros who die every other spring & summer during MLB & NFL training
> camps, seemingly due to previously undetected "heart defects" and heat
> exhaustion.  I will leave it to Magilla to tell us what to think of
> these accidents.
>
> jyh.

Why all the conjectures? Didn't they do autopsies in the case of
these deaths? We should know if they had dope in their blood.

On May 29, 12:46 pm, Dumbass <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 11:52 am, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,

> >  Dumbass <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Tom Simpson's death might explain why cycling has been singled out for
> > > more testing.  Are there any high profile deaths in US pro sports
> > > linked to performance enhancing drugs?  I can't think of one.

> > It depends what you want to call "high-profile".   If by that you meana
> > world-class athlete who died during a competition of causes generally
> > attributed to drugs, then the answer is no.  But then Simpson is the
> > only case in cycling, and it happened in 1967.  If you relax the
> > definition a bit to admit good or not so good pros who died out of
> > competition with drugs rumored to be a factor, then cycling has Bert
> > Oosterbosch and the young Belgian/Dutch sudden death epidemics of the
> > late 80s to early nineties.  But in that case, we should probably takea
> > harder look at the cases of these fat young football and baseball
> > neo-pros who die every other spring & summer during MLB & NFL training
> > camps, seemingly due to previously undetected "heart defects" and heat
> > exhaustion.  I will leave it to Magilla to tell us what to think of
> > these accidents.

> > jyh.

> Why all the conjectures?  Didn't they do autopsies in the case of
> these deaths?  We should know if they had dope in their blood.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, could be before tests were available. Voet figured Oosterbosch for
steroid use.

In article
<[email protected]>,
SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 29, 10:52 am, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> >
> >  Dumbass <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Tom Simpson's death might explain why cycling has been singled out for
> > > more testing.  Are there any high profile deaths in US pro sports
> > > linked to performance enhancing drugs?  I can't think of one.

> > It depends what you want to call "high-profile".   If by that you mean a
> > world-class athlete who died during a competition of causes generally
> > attributed to drugs, then the answer is no.  But then Simpson is the
> > only case in cycling, and it happened in 1967.  If you relax the
> > definition a bit to admit good or not so good pros who died out of
> > competition with drugs rumored to be a factor, then cycling has Bert
> > Oosterbosch and the young Belgian/Dutch sudden death epidemics of the
> > late 80s to early nineties.  But in that case, we should probably take a
> > harder look at the cases of these fat young football and baseball
> > neo-pros who die every other spring & summer during MLB & NFL training
> > camps, seemingly due to previously undetected "heart defects" and heat
> > exhaustion.  I will leave it to Magilla to tell us what to think of
> > these accidents.

> There was some fat young MLB pitcher who died in spring training on a
> hot Florida day and they say he had taken ephedrine. This was within
> the past ten years, IIRC.

It's a bit pathetic to take ephedrine during a training camp, no? Isn't
the stuff supposed to have pretty immediate effects? And I thought that
it could produce hand tremors, which might make it a bad idea for a
pitcher (I imagine). Maybe he was taking it as a fat burner rather than
a performance enhancer?

jyh.

On May 29, 8:08 pm, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>  SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On May 29, 10:52 am, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]>,

> > > It depends what you want to call "high-profile".   If by that you mean a
> > > world-class athlete who died during a competition of causes generally
> > > attributed to drugs, then the answer is no.  But then Simpson is the
> > > only case in cycling, and it happened in 1967.  If you relax the
> > > definition a bit to admit good or not so good pros who died out of
> > > competition with drugs rumored to be a factor, then cycling has Bert
> > > Oosterbosch and the young Belgian/Dutch sudden death epidemics of the
> > > late 80s to early nineties.  But in that case, we should probably take a
> > > harder look at the cases of these fat young football and baseball
> > > neo-pros who die every other spring & summer during MLB & NFL training
> > > camps, seemingly due to previously undetected "heart defects" and heat
> > > exhaustion.  I will leave it to Magilla to tell us what to think of
> > > these accidents.

> > There was some fat young MLB pitcher who died in spring training on a
> > hot Florida day and they say he had taken ephedrine.  This was within
> > the past ten years, IIRC.

> It's a bit pathetic to take ephedrine during a training camp, no?  Isn't
> the stuff supposed to have pretty immediate effects?  And I thought that
> it could produce hand tremors, which might make it a bad idea for a
> pitcher (I imagine).  Maybe he was taking it as a fat burner rather than
> a performance enhancer?

Weight loss would be my assumption to, although maybe he thought he
could train a little harder and snap in to aerobic shape a bit
quicker, even if all the weight loss would take a bit more time. I'm
sure simple and immediate effect was the goal (not the one he actually
got).

I doubt it was performance based as far as making the team goes. It
has been a long time... maybe I remember it was right at the beginning
of spring training, and his starting condition was very poor, and so
ephedrine combined with the weather, poor hydration, and hot weather
was a very stressful set of circumstances.

On May 29, 7:08 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 8:08 pm, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> >  SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > There was some fat young MLB pitcher who died in spring training on a
> > > hot Florida day and they say he had taken ephedrine.  This was within
> > > the past ten years, IIRC.

> > It's a bit pathetic to take ephedrine during a training camp, no?  Isn't
> > the stuff supposed to have pretty immediate effects?  And I thought that
> > it could produce hand tremors, which might make it a bad idea for a
> > pitcher (I imagine).  Maybe he was taking it as a fat burner rather than
> > a performance enhancer?

> Weight loss would be my assumption to, although maybe he thought he
> could train a little harder and snap in to aerobic shape a bit
> quicker, even if all the weight loss would take a bit more time.  I'm
> sure simple and immediate effect was the goal (not the one he actually
> got).
>
> I doubt it was performance based as far as making the team goes.  It
> has been a long time... maybe I remember it was right at the beginning
> of spring training, and his starting condition was very poor, and so
> ephedrine combined with the weather, poor hydration, and hot weather
> was a very stressful set of circumstances.

The guy you're thinking of is Steve Bechler.
<http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-bechlerstories,
0,1513479.storygallery>
<http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/02/18/
bechler_investigate/index.html?cnn=yes>

There was an NFL player named Korey Stringer
who died under similar circumstances, after which
the NFL banned ephedra.

Every year, a handful of high school and college
players also drop dead from heatstroke. I don't
know the relative contribution of supplements vs.
dumbass coaches in that category.

"Dumbass" who couldn't think of deaths attributed
to PEDs has forgotten Flo-Jo.

Ben

On May 30, 1:31 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On May 29, 7:08 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On May 29, 8:08 pm, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]>,

> > > It's a bit pathetic to take ephedrine during a training camp, no?  Isn't
> > > the stuff supposed to have pretty immediate effects?  And I thought that
> > > it could produce hand tremors, which might make it a bad idea for a
> > > pitcher (I imagine).  Maybe he was taking it as a fat burner rather than
> > > a performance enhancer?

> > Weight loss would be my assumption to, although maybe he thought he
> > could train a little harder and snap in to aerobic shape a bit
> > quicker, even if all the weight loss would take a bit more time.  I'm
> > sure simple and immediate effect was the goal (not the one he actually
> > got).

> > I doubt it was performance based as far as making the team goes.  It
> > has been a long time... maybe I remember it was right at the beginning
> > of spring training, and his starting condition was very poor, and so
> > ephedrine combined with the weather, poor hydration, and hot weather
> > was a very stressful set of circumstances.

> The guy you're thinking of is Steve Bechler.
> <http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-bechlerstories,
> 0,1513479.storygallery>
> <http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/02/18/
> bechler_investigate/index.html?cnn=yes>
>
> There was an NFL player named Korey Stringer
> who died under similar circumstances, after which
> the NFL banned ephedra.
>
> Every year, a handful of high school and college
> players also drop dead from heatstroke.  I don't
> know the relative contribution of supplements vs.
> dumbass coaches in that category.
>
> "Dumbass" who couldn't think of deaths attributed
> to PEDs has forgotten Flo-Jo.
>
> Ben- Hide quoted text -

Flo jo had a congenital brain defect, makes you wonder if this whole
doping witch hunt is based on inaccurate attributions of cause of
death. They use to limit water intake during the tdf back when Tom
Simpson died of dehydration with a bit of speed in his blood. If he
had drank water freely that day and avoided alcohol, we would probably
not have this doping witch hunt in cycling.

"On September 21, 1998, Griffith-Joyner died in her sleep. On October
22, the sheriff-coroner's office (required to investigate unexpected
deaths) announced the cause of death as: "1) positional asphyxia 2)
epileptiform seizure 3) cavernous angioma, left orbital frontal
cerebrum".[1]

The cavernous angioma referred to a brain abnormality discovered
during the autopsy that made Joyner subject to seizures. It was a
congenital defect, having developed before birth.[2] In 1990 she had,
according to a family attorney, suffered a grand mal seizure and had
been treated for seizures in 1990, 1993 and 1994.

The direct cause of death was that she had suffocated in her pillow
during a severe epileptic seizure."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Griffith_Joyner