Cycling, the dirtiest sport???

On May 30, 7:44 am, Dumbass <[email protected]> wrote:

> Flo jo had a congenital brain defect, makes you wonder if this whole
> doping witch hunt is based on inaccurate attributions of cause of
> death.

Dumbass,

Of course the drugs are usually at most a complicating factor in the
deaths/injury.

From Ben's second link, Bechler also had:

- a history of borderline high blood pressure;
- liver abnormalities detected two years ago but not diagnosed;
- warm, humid weather during the workout when he became ill Sunday;
- he was on a diet and hadn't eaten much solid food the previous two
days.

"All of those factors converged together and resulted in the fatal
heatstroke," Perper said.

Basically he died of heatstroke but the focus was laid on ephedrine
because "drugs are evil" and are an easy target for simple-minded
fools.

It is easy for The State and politicians to get control of our lives
by passing unconstitutional drug laws. The ephedrine/dope bogeyman is
yet another path to power and control over the populace.

And thrown in for the bargain, it is another way for The State and
politicians to screw poor and powerless people, who were able to
achieve effective and very inexpensive control of their asthma with
this drug. It is another way to propose National Health Care. The
State screws poor people and then says "we The State must help poor
people -- see how bad off they are -- they have asthma and no
recourse." (With the doublespeak meaning that _I_ have to "help" them
by paying high rates of taxation and have my wealth redistributed to
the special interest health care industry.) Few catch the idiocy and
immorality of it.

All drug controls/laws and medical certifications/licensing of doctors/
pharmacists/nurses must be terminated if "we" mean what "we" say about
caring for the poor. Tort law is plenty and all the laws of
regulating that industry have not come close to eliminating tort (in
the industry), and by implication, improve the level of care.

In article <[email protected]>,
jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On May 29, 10:52 am, jean-yves hervé <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]>,

> > > It depends what you want to call "high-profile".   If by that you mean a
> > > world-class athlete who died during a competition of causes generally
> > > attributed to drugs, then the answer is no.  But then Simpson is the
> > > only case in cycling, and it happened in 1967.  If you relax the
> > > definition a bit to admit good or not so good pros who died out of
> > > competition with drugs rumored to be a factor, then cycling has Bert
> > > Oosterbosch and the young Belgian/Dutch sudden death epidemics of the
> > > late 80s to early nineties.  But in that case, we should probably take a
> > > harder look at the cases of these fat young football and baseball
> > > neo-pros who die every other spring & summer during MLB & NFL training
> > > camps, seemingly due to previously undetected "heart defects" and heat
> > > exhaustion.  I will leave it to Magilla to tell us what to think of
> > > these accidents.

> > There was some fat young MLB pitcher who died in spring training on a
> > hot Florida day and they say he had taken ephedrine. This was within
> > the past ten years, IIRC.

> It's a bit pathetic to take ephedrine during a training camp, no? Isn't
> the stuff supposed to have pretty immediate effects? And I thought that
> it could produce hand tremors, which might make it a bad idea for a
> pitcher (I imagine). Maybe he was taking it as a fat burner rather than
> a performance enhancer?
>
> jyh.

Almost certainly.