Cycling the East Coast!

GaryBPT

Mar 7, 2013
Hi guys, greetings with sunny England! I'm new on this forum so I'm looking forward to contributing where I can.

My training partner and I are wanting to cycle the Australian East Coast starting in Adelaide and finishing in Cairns in 2016 for charity, I've given myself plenty of time to get it organised and the save for it, plus I'll be training specifically for it.

I've bought the Lonely Planet book about cycling in Australia and it's given me some great information about touring in the country, I've also got an up to date large map of the main road networks across the country. Does anybody have any book suggestions that can help me with my planning?

I'm not really sure where to start with planning a route, being at the other side of the world comes with it's issues. I'd really appreciate it if you guys could pass on any recommendations for my routes? Should I stick coastal or go inland? Use the highways or back road? Any knowledge you could pass on guys would be amazing, no doubt more questions will arise as I work through the planning process.

I'm planning to do the cycle in August, that way I can avoid the tropical storms and stay a little dryer. I've been lucky enough to have visited Perth, Sydney and Brisbane before but my training partner hasn't, so we would like to go through the cities so he can see what an amazing country it is!

Thanks in advance guys, stay safe,

Gary