Cycling the Pyrenees Coast to Coast

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Chris And Mary, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. Does anyone know of a tour company that will transport your luggage for you on such a trip?

    We have a small group (4) interested in riding from the Atlantic to the Med in October. I've found
    some sites, but the latest tours start in September. Maybe I should read something into that.

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. > We have a small group (4) interested in riding from the Atlantic to the
    Med
    > in October. I've found some sites, but the latest tours start in
    September.
    > Maybe I should read something into that.

    Check out http://www.bikepyrenees.com for info on cycling in that region. If you click on the
    "weather" option, it will give you a month-by-month breakdown of what to expect.

    If you're looking for an organized tour, the problem with October is simply that it's well past the
    normal tourist season (not many people taking their vacations that time of year) so there simply
    isn't enough business to make tours practical.

  3. rob of the og

    rob of the og New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2003

  4. rob of the og

    rob of the og New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2003
  5. You might want to check out the British group www.wideopenroad.co.uk. We enjoyed their Pyrenees Atlantic-
    Med. two week tour summer before last, in spite of it being pretty drizzly the first week. This year
    they're going Aug 7-22. Their price in British pound is about the same (900), which has made the US$
    price higher on account of Bush's spending (now about US$1650). We spent an extra week at each end
    of the trip - the first in Bilbao/San Sebastian, with Barcelona at the end. If you have questions
    about the trip or group you can email me if you like.
    --
    Steve Juniper Berkeley "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere."

    "Chris and Mary Cuylle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... Does anyone know of a tour
    company that will transport your luggage for you on such a trip?

    We have a small group (4) interested in riding from the Atlantic to the Med in October. I've found
    some sites, but the latest tours start in September. Maybe I should read something into that.

    Chris

  6. Nobody760

    Nobody760 Guest

    Have done that ride but it was 20 years ago in July. I think October if far too late! I know that
    the following year other members of my cycling club did the same tour and they encountered snow and
    freezing weather in July but when I did it the weather was glorious. So it can change.

    If I could give you a few tips:

    Don't even think of doing it in August as the whole of the continent is on holiday, hotels
    are full and so are the roads. Surprisingly July is no problem.

    I am guessing that you are Americans it may be cheaper to fly into London and then get a
    Ryanair flight to Pau (West France) cycle across the Pyrenees and return to London from
    Perpignan or Girona (east France/Spain). (Or of course in reverse of that). (Book well in
    advance to get cheap flights).

    We had no trouble at all in finding reasonably priced accommodation in July and I dare say
    September would be the same. Just don't over pack and carry your own stuff - it gives you so
    much freedom. Besides with commercial tours you have to do the days ride whatever - some
    days you may not want to ride!

    The scenery is magnificent, but those climbs are big!

    Hope this helps some. (in UK). http://www.ryanair.com/

  7. Nobody760

    Nobody760 Guest