Cycling the Pyrenees Coast to Coast

Chris And Mary

Guest
Does anyone know of a tour company that will transport your luggage for you on such a trip?

We have a small group (4) interested in riding from the Atlantic to the Med in October. I've found
some sites, but the latest tours start in September. Maybe I should read something into that.

Chris

> We have a small group (4) interested in riding from the Atlantic to the
Med
> in October. I've found some sites, but the latest tours start in
September.
> Maybe I should read something into that.

Check out http://www.bikepyrenees.com for info on cycling in that region. If you click on the
"weather" option, it will give you a month-by-month breakdown of what to expect.

If you're looking for an organized tour, the problem with October is simply that it's well past the
normal tourist season (not many people taking their vacations that time of year) so there simply
isn't enough business to make tours practical.

Originally posted by Mike Jacoubowsk
> We have a small group (4) interested in riding from the Atlantic to the
Med
> in October. I've found some sites, but the latest tours start in
September.
> Maybe I should read something into that.

October is pretty late, I was in the Alps (w/o bike) mid september 2001 and the snow was starting on some of the higher peaks with snow ploughs obviously having been used on the extreme high ones. I was also in the high Pyrenees in April (opposite end of the season) 2002 (w/ bike) and although most of the famous peaks (eg Col d'Aspin, Col de Peyresourde) were open, the biggest (Tourmalet) was shut still. My guess is that you will be able to do a pretty good tour with lots of big passes in October, but that some of the monster passes in the Haute Pyrenees will be uncomfortable. The areas around the coasts (pyrenees atlantiques and pyrenees orientales) will probably be fine.

You might want to check out the British group www.wideopenroad.co.uk. We enjoyed their Pyrenees Atlantic-
Med. two week tour summer before last, in spite of it being pretty drizzly the first week. This year
they're going Aug 7-22. Their price in British pound is about the same (900), which has made the US$
price higher on account of Bush's spending (now about US$1650). We spent an extra week at each end
of the trip - the first in Bilbao/San Sebastian, with Barcelona at the end. If you have questions
about the trip or group you can email me if you like.
--
Steve Juniper Berkeley "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere."

"Chris and Mary Cuylle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... Does anyone know of a tour
company that will transport your luggage for you on such a trip?

We have a small group (4) interested in riding from the Atlantic to the Med in October. I've found
some sites, but the latest tours start in September. Maybe I should read something into that.

Chris

Have done that ride but it was 20 years ago in July. I think October if far too late! I know that
the following year other members of my cycling club did the same tour and they encountered snow and
freezing weather in July but when I did it the weather was glorious. So it can change.

If I could give you a few tips:

Don't even think of doing it in August as the whole of the continent is on holiday, hotels
are full and so are the roads. Surprisingly July is no problem.

I am guessing that you are Americans it may be cheaper to fly into London and then get a
Ryanair flight to Pau (West France) cycle across the Pyrenees and return to London from
Perpignan or Girona (east France/Spain). (Or of course in reverse of that). (Book well in
advance to get cheap flights).

We had no trouble at all in finding reasonably priced accommodation in July and I dare say
September would be the same. Just don't over pack and carry your own stuff - it gives you so
much freedom. Besides with commercial tours you have to do the days ride whatever - some
days you may not want to ride!

The scenery is magnificent, but those climbs are big!

Hope this helps some. (in UK). http://www.ryanair.com/