Cycling the Rhine

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by William Dennehy, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. Anyone done it? Ideas? Advice? I would like ot visit a friend in Basel and go on from there, maybe
    to the NL? I "hear" it's flat and kinda boring, from more experience ccylists, but I just love to
    ride and meet people. Always interested in hearing opinions. Thanks, Bill

    Tags:

  2. William Dennehy wrote:

    > Anyone done it? Ideas? Advice? I would like ot visit a friend in Basel and go on from there, maybe
    > to the NL? I "hear" it's flat and kinda boring, from more experience ccylists, but I just love to
    > ride and meet people. Always interested in hearing opinions. Thanks, Bill

    I've not ridden the Rhine, but I've ridden a few other German river trails, and read accounts of
    other people's Rhine rides.

    > I just love to ride and meet people.

    Then this ride is for you. It can get a little too crowded for those trying to hammer along, but not
    for those riding a quick, but pleasant pace. I love riding German river trails. There are always
    great amenities (lodging - restaurants - Wursts, Bier, Wein) and lots of directions and signs - not
    to mention all the friendly greetings from other cyclists.

  3. I've done the Rhine from Coblenz as far as Mannheim. It's about 95% on cycle-paths.

    I did not find it boring. The countryside is very well preserved with no houses between towns and
    I really liked it, and I'm more used to hilly touring. Germany is really well laid out for
    leisure cycling

  4. In message <[email protected]>, William Dennehy
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Anyone done it? Ideas? Advice? I would like ot visit a friend in Basel and go on from there, maybe
    >to the NL? I "hear" it's flat and kinda boring, from more experience ccylists, but I just love to
    >ride and meet people. Always interested in hearing opinions. Thanks, Bill

    I don't know if you speak German but the Bikeline guidebooks Rhein-Radweg 1 and 2 cover
    Basel/Rotterdam and have been recommended on rec.fahrrad.de. Apart from detailed maps they contain
    accommodation lists. Esterbauer is the publisher.

    http://www.esterbauer.com/

    Although a cyclist isn't going to encounter many hills riding along the river this isn't to say that
    the landscape isn't interesting. The Rhine gorge between Mainz and Koblenz is spectacular and a
    complete contrast to the more open sections above and below it. Even the cities are interesting -
    Basel, Strasbourg, Karlsruhe, Mannheim, Mainz, Koblenz, Bonn, Cologne, Duesseldorf, Arnhem.

    Crikey, writing this is making me interested in this trip!
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  5. Jam

    Jam Guest

    I don't know about the Rhine ride itself, but about Basel: It is the most bike-friendly city I
    know (except perhaps in Netherlands). Downtown Basel you find more bikes than cars, and it's a
    real pleasure.

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:23:08 +0000, William Dennehy wrote:

    > Anyone done it? Ideas? Advice? I would like ot visit a friend in Basel and go on from there, maybe
    > to the NL? I "hear" it's flat and kinda boring, from more experience ccylists, but I just love to
    > ride and meet people. Always interested in hearing opinions. Thanks, Bill

  6. Cj

    Cj Guest

    [email protected] (William Dennehy) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone done it? Ideas? Advice? I would like ot visit a friend in Basel and go on from there, maybe
    > to the NL? I "hear" it's flat and kinda boring, from more experience ccylists, but I just love to
    > ride and meet people. Always interested in hearing opinions. Thanks, Bill

    Try these sites for help, ideas and further links, those not in English are easy to work out.

    http://www.bicyclegermany.com/ http://www.bettundbike.de/
    http://www.deutschland-tourismus.de/radfahren_neu/index_e.htm
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/euhansen.html http://www.tourvelo.org/#Home
    http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/#Contents
    http://www.travel-library.com/rtw/html/rtwbicycling.html

    I am planning to ride France, Germany, Netherlands, Belium, Switzerland, Austria (NOT in that
    order...) from late May to August this year and these are some sites I have found to be very
    helpful. Will (hopefully) be doing the Rhine from Rotterdam to Mainz around late June.

    Have driven Bonn to Mainz 4 or 5 times on various holidays, very easy riding with plenty to look at
    and is much the same both further north and south from all accounts.

    Enjoy your trip, I know I will be.

    CJ.

  7. I've biked the French side from Basel through the entire Alsace, and about half the German side
    opposite. I've also bike from Koblenz north to Dusseldorf.The latter trip is much more scenic, as
    the trails are nearer the River (excert around Andernach), and the surrounding countryside - though
    not the trails themselves - have beautiful hills. In and opposite Alsace, you're mostly inland fro
    the river, and while it's nice flat farm country with picturesque towns, that's all it is.

    A more intersting ride than the Rhine IMHO, is the Mosel from Koblenz to Trier, which is as
    beautiful as any ride I/ve ever taken, matched only by the Danube in the Wachau. "William Dennehy"
    > Anyone done it? Ideas? Advice? I would like ot visit a friend in Basel and go on from there, maybe
    > to the NL? I "hear" it's flat and kinda boring, from more experience ccylists, but I just love to
    > ride and meet people. Always interested in hearing opinions. Thanks, Bill

  8. Steve Wood

    Steve Wood Guest