Cycling tights, bib or no bib?

Unless you have a perfectly flat tummy, the regular bike short will roll or fold some. The bibs will feel more comfortable as well. I urge you to try and not buy bike clothing online. You will be better off trying on different products in a LBS.

Originally Posted by blueduckxx .

What's the difference? my husband says non bib tights can ride down [what? how? if theyre made properly?]

so tell me what's better, the bib or non bib:
Good fitting bib shorts by far! You should take a look for female specific bibs.

All I wear. I'd never go back to regular shorts or tights. Bibs are the next best thing to being naked, and probably safer! Ha!

I wear mostly shorts and occasionally wear bibs. I don't feel any difference in comfort between the two, and since bibs are usually more expensive, I tend to buy mostly shorts.

I've used a variety of shorts; Pearl Izumi, Cannondale, Nashbar brand, etc.

I've never had any issue with them riding down or folding around the waist, my main issues have usually been learning which brands/models have the best padding, and which are the most comfortable, etc. Some designs will just fit you better than others and if you find a pair that you really like, watch for sales and try to buy several pairs....because if you have my luck the next time you need a pair they'll be discontinued....

Just keep in mind that sizes can vary a lot between brands, so if you shop on-line you will be out shipping costs if you have to return items....

Edited to comment on the OP's original question about tights: I wear non-bib non-padded tights in cold weather over my padded cycling shorts. I have two pairs; one is a Performance Bike house brand and one pair is a Nashbar house brand. No issues with either riding down, the only difference is the Peformance tights are heavier/thicker and are better for colder temps...I sometimes use them when I run my snow blower and it's really windy. They keep my legs warm and the snow doesn't stick to them like it does to bluejeans...so they get double use.

Bibs, bibs, and bibs. My tights are bib tights. My knickers are bib knickers. Of course, my shorts are bib shorts. I cannot stand regular shorts, and I've found pull over tights to be absolutely worthless for staying in place.

Quote:Originally Posted by blueduckxx .

What's the difference? my husband says non bib tights can ride down [what? how? if theyre made properly?]

so tell me what's better, the bib:
http://chavezcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/cycling-bib-shorts.jpg

or non bib:
http://www.terrybicycles.com/core/media/media.nl?id=9798&c=1243446&h=1223ff5d2bbf49977f3e

It occurred to me that women have hips that are rounded./img/vbsmilies/smilies/drool.gif Mens hips are straight. Probably why men have more trouble with non-bib tights or shorts riding down, wouldnt ya think?

I'm going with bibs.

The only downside... using a public lav before a race, especially in the cold weather. If you do, make sure the base layer is under the bibs straps, or ya gonna hafta take a lot of gear off in the porta potty to get the right parts exposed. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I went with the tights instead and they are wonderful! I got Pearl Izumi's "Elite", keeps me extra warm.

I never had any problem with normal shorts too, dunno if having a flat stomach helps, but I guess it does for me! [as someone said?]

thanks everyone.