Cycling to a Wedding

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was at a wedding yesterday. I was just randomly thinking: Have any URCers cycled to, or indeed
    *would* any URCers cycle to their own wedding? Solo or Tandem? Cycle both ways or just one?

Just curious!

I didn't pull a bridesmaid :(

Love and hugs from Rich x

--
    Sig got lost during a reinstall

Tags:

2. Sandy Morton

Sandy Morton Guest

In article <[email protected]>, Richard Bates
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I was at a wedding yesterday. I was just randomly thinking: Have any URCers cycled to, or indeed
    > *would* any URCers cycle to their own wedding? Solo or Tandem? Cycle both ways or just one?

I regularly have the best man and the groom borrow a tandem to go to the wedding - they usually
    cycle about 50 metres:-(

--
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

3. Eatmorepies

Eatmorepies Guest

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was at a wedding yesterday. I was just randomly thinking: Have any URCers cycled to, or indeed
    > *would* any URCers cycle to their own wedding? Solo or Tandem? Cycle both ways or just one?
    >

I went to mine on the bus if that's any help.

John

4. Ian Smith

Ian Smith Guest

On Sun, 30 Nov, Richard Bates wrote:

There's a web page somewhere about a couple that rode a tandem trice to their wedding. Try a google
    on "recumbent wedding" or something like that.

regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

5. Nick Kew

Nick Kew Guest

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote:

Well, if I were ever to get married, I'd hope to use pedal power. But maybe some special-occasion
    version, like a hired rickshaw+driver. That's the fantasy version in competition with the fantasy
    of an entirely non-western ceremony, which - given my thoroughly western environment - is even
    more unlikely.

But that presupposes getting married, which in turn presupposes embracing a tradition of
    centuries of tyranny and oppression. And a tradition that's still alive so long as the law
    enshrines discrimination against unmarried couples and their families. So it's rather unlikely to
    happen to me...

> I didn't pull a bridesmaid :(

OK, it's good for some ...

--
    Things money can usually buy: (1) The Meeja (2) The Courts
    (3) A member of parliament (4) A government policy
    (4) [in case of weakness] A party leadership change Things money can't buy: (1) Honesty (2) Truth
    (3) Justice

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

We rode our tandem to and from ours. Best bit was coming back with cans strapped to the rack
    clanking behind us, swinging out round the corners.

(We've also ridden a tandem to and from at least five other weddings. Best ride was Bristol,
    slightly late, from Clifton ie downhill all the way. Three tandems in convoy, the happy couple
    leading the way (*). No laws were broken, but it was an "interesting" ride! I also delivered the
    groom to the last wedding we went to.)

It is the obvious way to travel to such an occasion!

cheers, clive

(*) The only other people we know to have ridden to their wedding. (and they got married
    before we did)

7. On 2003-11-30, Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Just curious!
    >
    >
    > Love and hugs from Rich x
    >

Daisy, Daisy. ...

AC
    --
    Using Linux GNU/Debian - Windows-free zone http://www.acampbell.org.uk (book reviews and articles)
    Email: replace "www." with "[email protected]"

8. Roos Eisma

Roos Eisma Guest

Richard Bates <[email protected]> writes:

>I was at a wedding yesterday. I was just randomly thinking: Have any URCers cycled to, or indeed
    >*would* any URCers cycle to their own wedding? Solo or Tandem? Cycle both ways or just one?

I did cycle to my wedding. Though it was more a formality than a big event so no silly dresses etc
    were involved. Two solo bikes, from home to local council office early in the morning, from there to
    work afterwards.

The marriage didn't survive long, though that probably wasn't related to the cycling ;)

Roos

9. On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:13:22 +0000 (UTC), Richard Bates

>
    > Just curious!

If you do cycle to a wedding watch the dress in the mech!

This is a different league (motor-trike) but a horrific story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/3250068.stm

Colin
    --

10. Johnb

Johnb Guest

Eatmorepies wrote:

> "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I was at a wedding yesterday. I was just randomly thinking: Have any URCers cycled to, or indeed
    > > *would* any URCers cycle to their own wedding? Solo or Tandem? Cycle both ways or just one?
    > >
    >
    > I went to mine on the bus if that's any help.

Beat ya'

Walked to bus stop, caught bus to Basingstoke station, train to Southampton, walked to ferry, took
    Hythe Ferry across Southampton Water, took ferry train along pier, called in Lord Nelson, Mariner
    and another pub I can't remember, popped into the church and got wed to sounds of Ian Dury and
    Stevie Wonder.

Still no bike tho :-(

But its our anniversary tomorrow and I'm going out on the trice while dinner is cooked :))

John B

11. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

Eatmorepies wrote:

My wife walked to ours. Her parents live opposite the church ;-)

--
    Guy
    ===
    WARNING: May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

12. Johnb

Johnb Guest

Eatmorepies wrote:

> "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I was at a wedding yesterday. I was just randomly thinking: Have any URCers cycled to, or indeed
    > > *would* any URCers cycle to their own wedding? Solo or Tandem? Cycle both ways or just one?
    > >
    >

Beat ya'

Walked to bus stop, caught bus to Basingstoke station, train to Southampton, walked to ferry, took
    Hythe Ferry across Southampton Water, took ferry train along pier, called in Lord Nelson, Mariner
    and another pub I can't remember, popped into the church and got wed to sounds of Ian Dury and
    Stevie Wonder.

Still no bike tho :-(

But its our anniversary tomorrow and I'm going out on the trice while dinner is cooked :))

John B

13. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

Eatmorepies wrote:

My wife walked to ours. Her parents live opposite the church ;-)

--
    Guy
    ===
    WARNING: May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

14. Roos Eisma wrote:
    > Richard Bates <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    <snip>
    > The marriage didn't survive long, though that probably wasn't related to the cycling ;)
    >

Wasn't anything to do with his helmet was it?

15. David Hansen

David Hansen Guest

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:23:02 +0000 someone who may be [email protected] (Nick Kew)
    wrote this:-

>Well, if I were ever to get married, I'd hope to use pedal power. But maybe some special-occasion
    >version, like a hired rickshaw+driver.

That has already been done, though in one case that I know of the rickshaw rider was not hired.

--
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

16. Roos Eisma wrote:
    > Richard Bates <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    <snip>
    > The marriage didn't survive long, though that probably wasn't related to the cycling ;)
    >

Wasn't anything to do with his helmet was it?

17. David Hansen

David Hansen Guest

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:23:02 +0000 someone who may be [email protected] (Nick Kew)
    wrote this:-

>Well, if I were ever to get married, I'd hope to use pedal power. But maybe some special-occasion
    >version, like a hired rickshaw+driver.

That has already been done, though in one case that I know of the rickshaw rider was not hired.

--
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

18. In article <[email protected]>,
    Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    > Just curious!
    >
    >
    > Love and hugs from Rich x

I have, but not to my own wedding.

19. Paul Lydon

Paul Lydon Guest

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:50:32 +0000, Christopher Mahon

>In article <[email protected]>, Richard Bates
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I was at a wedding yesterday. I was just randomly thinking: Have any URCers cycled to, or indeed
    >> *would* any URCers cycle to their own wedding? Solo or Tandem? Cycle both ways or just one?
    >>
    >> Just curious!
    >>
    >> I didn't pull a bridesmaid :(
    >>
    >> Love and hugs from Rich x
    >
    >I have, but not to my own wedding.

Not a wedding but still an unusual way to get to an activity using a bike...

A fortnight ago there was a Derbyshire Cave Rescue Organisation call out in the Peak District and
    one team member turned up on bicycle - first time that happened as far as anybody can tell!

--
    Paul Lydon Winster, Derbyshire, UK --> Remove the 'DELETE' in email address to reply <--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.