Cycling to/ from Races

bikerjoe

Oct 24, 2002
How many ride (if it is feasible) to road races/ TT's and ride back. Personally if it is about an hour's easy pedal, I would normally ride out and ride back, but don't like to do too much before the race, just really using the easy hour before and a very light warm up.

Many others ride out to road races and use this as a warm up and having the ride home to loosen the legs?

bikerjoe said:
How many ride (if it is feasible) to road races/ TT's and ride back. Personally if it is about an hour's easy pedal, I would normally ride out and ride back, but don't like to do too much before the race, just really using the easy hour before and a very light warm up.

Many others ride out to road races and use this as a warm up and having the ride home to loosen the legs?

Exactly! If its around 5-10mi going to the location of the race, I do it as warm-up.

bikerjoe said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a very good idea. When I raced in my 20s some of the older guys swore by riding out to races when possible. I'm only now discovering that it takes me at least 10 kilometres to feel like I'm properly warmed up to start a race. Wished I'd realised that years ago :confused:
Riding out and back saves on petrol too so it's one less way to pollute the environment :)

There is a TT about 12 miles from my house, and I will ride there since it gives a warm-up and cool down, but to races it is a PITA to try to take extra wheels etc. on your bike so I drive...

However to organized rides, I always ride there. It is my pet peeve to see how many people will drive 5 miles to the mall parking lot to start a ride. I remember not too long ago an anouncement was made at a local training crit about a 1 mile bicycle commuting awareness ride downtown here in Charlotte, and the question was asked "where do we park". I could have just slapped the guy... "leave your Tahoe in the garage and ride your bike there you f*cking jack-off" :mad:

wilmar13 said:
There is a TT about 12 miles from my house, and I will ride there since it gives a warm-up and cool down, but to races it is a PITA to try to take extra wheels etc. on your bike so I drive...

However to organized rides, I always ride there. It is my pet peeve to see how many people will drive 5 miles to the mall parking lot to start a ride. I remember not too long ago an anouncement was made at a local training crit about a 1 mile bicycle commuting awareness ride downtown here in Charlotte, and the question was asked "where do we park". I could have just slapped the guy... "leave your Tahoe in the garage and ride your bike there you f*cking jack-off" :mad:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
You are so right!!:)

I race with a club that races about 40kms from my home(it's really the only decent road racing club in Auckland - or I would join a closer one) so I have to load up the car(economical Jappa) and drive. I used to do a club ride that started at 8.30AM 29 kilometres from my home - I almost always rode there and was more than warmed up at the start. It made for an excellent long ride(89 kilometres by the time I got home). Thankfully almost everyone rode to it(I lived about the furtherest away). Thanking a car(SUV or ?) to the start of a club ride that is within a few kilometres is so wasteful - time, petrol, riding miles etc.:confused: