Cycling to italy

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by peacock suit, Aug 22, 2005.

  1. peacock suit

    peacock suit Guest

    I work as a firefighter, My watch are planning to cycle to Turin next year
    from France wherever the ferry lands.

    Anyone know anything about the roads, Mountains any good advice you are
    prepared to share.

    As a watch we have cycled the Coast of Ireland, Lands ends to John o Groats
    raising about 25 thousand for Charity.

    We will be raising money for charities again next year, hopefully an Italian
    children's hospital.

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    peacock suit wrote:
    > I work as a firefighter, My watch are planning to cycle to Turin next year
    > from France wherever the ferry lands.
    >

    > Anyone know anything about the roads, Mountains any good advice you are
    > prepared to share.

    The last bit will be a blast. Coming down off the hills after many days
    of no level road anywhere onto a dead flat flood plain for 60 km to
    Turin.. I took my bike to Turin in '98 for a two week meeting and loved
    it. Great way to get around even though it was one big climb up to the
    villa we were staying in.

    When you get to Turing, you should ride up to the Basilica di Superga.
    (For footy fans this is where Juventus plane returning from a match
    crashed in a snowstorm). Doing the whole of the ridge is a nice half
    day on quiet roads with absolutely screaming descents. Then cross the
    Po and it is dead flat.

    > As a watch we have cycled the Coast of Ireland, Lands ends to John o Groats
    > raising about 25 thousand for Charity.

    This will be harder, especially crossing the Alps. Watch out for the
    guys in the black hats throwing your bikes over the side of the
    mountains.. Oops, sorry, wrong trip to Turin. [1]

    > We will be raising money for charities again next year, hopefully an Italian
    > children's hospital.

    Good luck.

    ...d

    [1] "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    peacock suit wrote:
    > I work as a firefighter, My watch are planning to cycle to Turin next year
    > from France wherever the ferry lands.
    >

    > Anyone know anything about the roads, Mountains any good advice you are
    > prepared to share.

    Check on open times if you are using any of the alpine passes. Some of
    them don't open until July and the tunnels do not allow cycles. Or you
    could cheat and take the train through the Simplon or Gotthard tunnels.

    The following ride report (London-Rome) on the Trento Bike pages might
    be helpful.

    --
    Tony

    Anon