Cycling to italy

peacock suit

Guest
I work as a firefighter, My watch are planning to cycle to Turin next year
from France wherever the ferry lands.

Anyone know anything about the roads, Mountains any good advice you are
prepared to share.

As a watch we have cycled the Coast of Ireland, Lands ends to John o Groats
raising about 25 thousand for Charity.

We will be raising money for charities again next year, hopefully an Italian
children's hospital.

peacock suit wrote:
> I work as a firefighter, My watch are planning to cycle to Turin next year
> from France wherever the ferry lands.
>

> Anyone know anything about the roads, Mountains any good advice you are
> prepared to share.

The last bit will be a blast. Coming down off the hills after many days
of no level road anywhere onto a dead flat flood plain for 60 km to
Turin.. I took my bike to Turin in '98 for a two week meeting and loved
it. Great way to get around even though it was one big climb up to the
villa we were staying in.

When you get to Turing, you should ride up to the Basilica di Superga.
(For footy fans this is where Juventus plane returning from a match
crashed in a snowstorm). Doing the whole of the ridge is a nice half
day on quiet roads with absolutely screaming descents. Then cross the
Po and it is dead flat.

> As a watch we have cycled the Coast of Ireland, Lands ends to John o Groats
> raising about 25 thousand for Charity.

This will be harder, especially crossing the Alps. Watch out for the
guys in the black hats throwing your bikes over the side of the
mountains.. Oops, sorry, wrong trip to Turin. [1]

> We will be raising money for charities again next year, hopefully an Italian
> children's hospital.

Good luck.

...d

[1] "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

peacock suit wrote:
> I work as a firefighter, My watch are planning to cycle to Turin next year
> from France wherever the ferry lands.
>

> Anyone know anything about the roads, Mountains any good advice you are
> prepared to share.

Check on open times if you are using any of the alpine passes. Some of
them don't open until July and the tunnels do not allow cycles. Or you
could cheat and take the train through the Simplon or Gotthard tunnels.

The following ride report (London-Rome) on the Trento Bike pages might
be helpful.

--
Tony

Anon