Cycling to school - draft.

Jon Senior wrote:

> You can now upload photos as well. Could someone remember to send me an
> email when it's done with so I can drop the page.

Thanks Jon!

I've updated the Final Resting Place a bit so it now has the third draft
and placeholders for the discussion and another page for cycle training
links, and I've put the main photo on the page title rather than a
rather irrelevant one of me on a Muni!

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/cyclingchild.htm

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Tim Hall wrote:

> I'm not quite sure of the intended distribution for the finished
> document. Is it just at your school Tom, or a wider audience?

Free download for anyone who thinks it might help. Particularly for
cycle instructors to distribute to parents, but anyone wot wants it.

> Does it need some kind of "produced by the touchy feely urc workers
> co-operative" or other identifying mark?

The host web page at
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/cyclingchild.htm will have
full credits, though I think a note (which can be in smallish print,
possibly overlaying the bottom of the cover picture) of who did it
should go on.

Pete.
--

Tom Crispin wrote:

> I've set it out in columns and removed the underlining, plus replaced
> some of the pictures with the same but cropped by David.

Column layout looks much better IMHO.

For content I'd still trim the maintenance section a bit: /I/ never
check to see my valves are perpendicular and I'm not dead yet... I
think it should stick to the really essential stuff.

Maybe change from "Maintenance Check" to "Pre-Cycle check", and then put
in the bit of clothes not getting caught in the bike. I think that's
far more important than checking your spokes is my rationale there.

And it still needs a link back to its home page.

Minor grammatical tick, the comma between "choose to wear a helmet" and
"it should be noted" should, I think, be a "but".

Pete.
--

Tom Crispin wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:25:52 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >
> >However, from a designer's viewpoint though I'd look at the typography and
> >would certainly advise going to two columns for readability.

> I've set it out in columns and removed the underlining, plus replaced
> some of the pictures with the same but cropped by David.
>
> http://www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/urc_upload/cycling to school 7.pdf

That's much better.
You could also use proper bullet points rather than asterisks for a more polished
finish.
Take from a dingbat type font, or at a stretch option/asterisk (on a Mac, PC may
differ) will give you a dot. These can then be in a different colour, eg a mid
green.
be careful about the word spacing where a small pic breaks into the column of
text.

To be nit-picky I'd remove the drop shadow to the titles as unless a real
'blurred' shadow can be created (eg with Shadowcaster) it is deemed in the design
trade to be very DTP-ish.

Best, etc,

John B
(wearing designer's cap this morning; cycle-training hat this pm)

John B wrote:
> Tom Crispin wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:25:52 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > >However, from a designer's viewpoint though I'd look at the typography and
> > >would certainly advise going to two columns for readability.

> > I've set it out in columns and removed the underlining, plus replaced
> > some of the pictures with the same but cropped by David.
> >
> > http://www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/urc_upload/cycling to school 7.pdf

> That's much better.
> You could also use proper bullet points rather than asterisks for a more polished
> finish.
> Take from a dingbat type font, or at a stretch option/asterisk (on a Mac, PC may
> differ) will give you a dot. These can then be in a different colour, eg a mid
> green.
> be careful about the word spacing where a small pic breaks into the column of
> text.
>
> To be nit-picky I'd remove the drop shadow to the titles as unless a real
> 'blurred' shadow can be created (eg with Shadowcaster) it is deemed in the design
> trade to be very DTP-ish.

As you seem to know what you are doign with design, why don't you do a
draft? I was thinking of tryin gto get something put together this week
but only have access to appropriate tools at work
(photoshop/illustrator). Thoughts I had were:

1. for the background, go for a cream with an embossed cycle logo on it
- very light but enough to reduce the glare of plain white.

2. Put the titles into NCN style signs

3. for the 'preflight check' swap the asterisks for a suitable logo, eg
a spanner.

4. Choose a friendlier colour for the font. Possibly a navy blue or
thereabouts.

5. As has been suggested elsewhere, putting the author info on the
bottom of the front cover picture is a great idea.

I'll see what I can do this week though time may be a bit pressing. I
have full res copies of most of the pics - just good 'cycle to school'
and 'cycle training' ones needed.

...d

David Martin wrote:

> > To be nit-picky I'd remove the drop shadow to the titles as unless a real
> > 'blurred' shadow can be created (eg with Shadowcaster) it is deemed in the design
> > trade to be very DTP-ish.

> As you seem to know what you are doign with design,

Thank you (I'm a graphic designer - mainly illustrated books)
http://www.jpbdesign.net/

> why don't you do a
> draft? I was thinking of tryin gto get something put together this week
> but only have access to appropriate tools at work
> (photoshop/illustrator). Thoughts I had were:

I had a feeling it was already being put together, but I could certainly produce a
leaflet next week if provided with the hi-res pictures and the approved text.
This week is full of other book design (book on motorways and one on aeroplanes), as
well as cycle-training commitments.

The way the content is shaping up is looking good and I might even be prepared to put
some cash in for some quality printing on an art paper.

<snip good suggestions>

John B

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:48:25 +0100, Jon Senior
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>OK. The draft PDF is currently available for view at:
>>
>>www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/cycling_to_school_3.pdf
>>
>>I'll try and put some kind of upload facility for this later today, but I
>>make no promises.

> Update uploaded.
>
> http://www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/urc_upload/cycling to school 6.pdf
>
> Changes:
> 1. Capitalisation consistent for titles
> 2. 'Fact sheet for parents' in italics
> 3. Woolwich Ferry photo slightly cropped
> 4. Clothing section replaced with maintenance section
> 5. 'Facts:' section replaced with 'Cycling to school will:' section
> and expanded
> 6. 'The right bike' photo changed.

Can I recommend that Title/Headings NOT be underlined?
In the age of DTP, with multiple font effects and sizes
available, underlining tends to be redolent of typewriters.

Further, in an online document underlining implies
an active hyperlink, which is not the case.

I suggest large/bold fonts for titles and headings, possibly
with judicious use of "leading".

BugBear

In article <[email protected]>, Brian G
<[email protected]> writes

>Tiny point of grammatical pedantry. Second last paragraph "you child"
>should read "your child".

I'm an editor/writer by trade (and next week can add the description
'award-winning').

If the author would like, I'd gladly give the document the once over for
any remaining typos, points of grammar, use of English, etc.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:20:12 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:25:52 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >However, from a designer's viewpoint though I'd look at the typography and
>> >would certainly advise going to two columns for readability.

>> I've set it out in columns and removed the underlining, plus replaced
>> some of the pictures with the same but cropped by David.
>>
>> http://www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/urc_upload/cycling to school 7.pdf

>That's much better.
>You could also use proper bullet points rather than asterisks for a more polished
>finish.

I had proper bullet points, but my old and cluncky version of Acrobat
Writer converted them to two question marks.

>Take from a dingbat type font, or at a stretch option/asterisk (on a Mac, PC may
>differ) will give you a dot. These can then be in a different colour, eg a mid
>green.
>be careful about the word spacing where a small pic breaks into the column of
>text.
>
>To be nit-picky I'd remove the drop shadow to the titles as unless a real
>'blurred' shadow can be created (eg with Shadowcaster) it is deemed in the design
>trade to be very DTP-ish.

I see I've been rumbled. I was hoping to keep the fact that I used
Publisher quiet!

On 24 Apr 2006 04:28:41 -0700, "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>5. As has been suggested elsewhere, putting the author info on the
>bottom of the front cover picture is a great idea.

I think it should be left as open source.

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:41:31 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I had a feeling it was already being put together, but I could certainly produce a
>leaflet next week if provided with the hi-res pictures and the approved text.
>This week is full of other book design (book on motorways and one on aeroplanes), as
>well as cycle-training commitments.

Let's wait until we have decent, relevant photos for the "Cycling to
School" and "Cycle Training" pages, which isn't going to be until
later this week at the earliest. I'm very keen that the leaflet show
cultural diversity, otherwise the relevance for black and Asian
families could be lost.

Tom Crispin wrote:

> I think it should be left as open source.

The Linux kernel is open source though it's no secret who wrote it!
There's no reason you shouldn't claim and get credit for your
work on this.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:39:01 +0100, congokid <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Brian G
><[email protected]> writes
>
>>Tiny point of grammatical pedantry. Second last paragraph "you child"
>>should read "your child".

>I'm an editor/writer by trade (and next week can add the description
>'award-winning').
>
>If the author would like, I'd gladly give the document the once over for
>any remaining typos, points of grammar, use of English, etc.

That would be very kind. I've uploaded the Publisher Document to
Jon's site:

http://www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/urc_upload.php

It's a 3.5 Mb .pub download.

Tom Crispin wrote:
> It's a 3.5 Mb .pub download.

If only you could download a pub. :)
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Tom Crispin wrote:

> I see I've been rumbled. I was hoping to keep the fact that I used
> Publisher quiet!

I can tell ;-)

John B

Tom Crispin wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:41:31 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
> wrote:.
>
> Let's wait until we have decent, relevant photos for the "Cycling to
> School" and "Cycle Training" pages, which isn't going to be until
> later this week at the earliest. I'm very keen that the leaflet show
> cultural diversity, otherwise the relevance for black and Asian
> families could be lost.

The offer still stands for next week onwards (ie after the bank holiday w/e)

John B

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:16:57 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:41:31 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
>> wrote:.
>>
>> Let's wait until we have decent, relevant photos for the "Cycling to
>> School" and "Cycle Training" pages, which isn't going to be until
>> later this week at the earliest. I'm very keen that the leaflet show
>> cultural diversity, otherwise the relevance for black and Asian
>> families could be lost.

>The offer still stands for next week onwards (ie after the bank holiday w/e)

I've uploaded the publisher file to Jon's site:

http://www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/urc_upload.php

I'm having (unusual) connection problems at the moment, but as soon as
normal service is resumed I'll upload the cropped maintenance
pictures.

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:52:37 +0100, Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've uploaded the publisher file to Jon's site:
>
>http://www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/urc_upload.php
>
>I'm having (unusual) connection problems at the moment, but as soon as
>normal service is resumed I'll upload the cropped maintenance
>pictures.

Normal service seems to have resumed and I've uploaded the pictures.

David will have to upload the hi-res photo of Roos and Rachel, Phil
and Sniper did some photoshop enhancements to them so you may want to
use one of those.

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:52:37 +0100, Tom Crispin
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've uploaded the publisher file to Jon's site:
> >
> >http://www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/urc_upload.php
> >
> >I'm having (unusual) connection problems at the moment, but as soon as
> >normal service is resumed I'll upload the cropped maintenance
> >pictures.

> Normal service seems to have resumed and I've uploaded the pictures.
>
> David will have to upload the hi-res photo of Roos and Rachel, Phil
> and Sniper did some photoshop enhancements to them so you may want to
> use one of those.

I have been playing with photoshop (levels and a mild USM) and
Illustrator all evening. Unfortunately the result is a 30MB file. That
is a bit big for download. Anyone got any PDF compression tips?

...d

(Oh yes,that is just the first page.)

David Martin wrote:
> Tom Crispin wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:52:37 +0100, Tom Crispin
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >I've uploaded the publisher file to Jon's site:
> > >
> > >http://www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/urc_upload.php
> > >
> > >I'm having (unusual) connection problems at the moment, but as soon as
> > >normal service is resumed I'll upload the cropped maintenance
> > >pictures.

> > Normal service seems to have resumed and I've uploaded the pictures.
> >
> > David will have to upload the hi-res photo of Roos and Rachel, Phil
> > and Sniper did some photoshop enhancements to them so you may want to
> > use one of those.

> I have been playing with photoshop (levels and a mild USM) and
> Illustrator all evening. Unfortunately the result is a 30MB file. That
> is a bit big for download. Anyone got any PDF compression tips?
>
> ..d
>
> (Oh yes,that is just the first page.)

PNG snapshot (not 32MB!) now up at
http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/factsheet1.png