Cycling to school - draft.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:04:33 +0100, Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:13:31 +0100, Peter Clinch

>Many people will have heard of the Cycling Proficiency Test. The CPT
>is *in the process of being* superceded

Lame spelling flame: superseded. (Latin, sit above or summat).

Otherwise I'm just in awe of what you've all done.

Tim

John B wrote:

> IMO the original wording was best.

Hey ho, I'll leave it for tonight, time to shut down and log off...

Hopefully get a bit more done tomorrow evening on the other web
page stuff. If anyone wants to have a stab at the "no content yet"
bits I'd be very happy about that!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

John B wrote:
> Tom Crispin wrote:
>
> > On 26 Apr 2006 11:12:13 -0700, "David Martin"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >Now with my constructive criticism hat on

> > I wonder if pages 2 and 3 should be swapped. The final section of the
> > cycle training section says, "Once a [your] child has completed a
> > National Standard cycle training course you may like to consider them
> > cycling to school independently." Perhaps this should lead to
> > information about cycle training.

> In my case I'd prefer it if it were less 'school' based, as much of the
> training is for riding to friends houses, the shops or out with the
> family.

It seems my attempt at a reply has been lost.

If an obvious school type photo (eg Tom's bike sheds) was included then
the paragraph at top left of page 2 could be used as a caption, and all
other instances of 'Cycling to School' changed to 'Travelling by bike'
with no loss of meaning and a broadening of application.

It would be good to find some other pictures of young cyclists riding
to obviously non-school locations (cinema, shops etc.)

...d

David Martin wrote:

> John B wrote:
>
> > In my case I'd prefer it if it were less 'school' based, as much of the
> > training is for riding to friends houses, the shops or out with the
> > family.

> It seems my attempt at a reply has been lost.
>
> If an obvious school type photo (eg Tom's bike sheds) was included then
> the paragraph at top left of page 2 could be used as a caption, and all
> other instances of 'Cycling to School' changed to 'Travelling by bike'
> with no loss of meaning and a broadening of application.

Sounds good.

John B

Peter Clinch wrote:

> John B wrote:
>
> > IMO the original wording was best.

> Hey ho, I'll leave it for tonight, time to shut down and log off...

You deserve it :)

John B

John B wrote:
> Tom Crispin wrote:
>
> > On 26 Apr 2006 11:12:13 -0700, "David Martin"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >Now with my constructive criticism hat on

> > I wonder if pages 2 and 3 should be swapped. The final section of the
> > cycle training section says, "Once a [your] child has completed a
> > National Standard cycle training course you may like to consider them
> > cycling to school independently." Perhaps this should lead to
> > information about cycle training.

> In my case I'd prefer it if it were less 'school' based, as much of the
> training is for riding to friends houses, the shops or out with the
> family.

Possiby what could be done is to use Tom's picture of the bike shed
with the 'Cycling to School' paragraph as a caption, then changing the
'Cycling to school will:' to 'Travelling by bike', moving the school
focussed bit to the picture/caption as one example of travelling by
bike. In all other instances 'Cycling to School' could be replaced by
'travelling by bike' with no loss of meaning, but with a more general
applicability.

...d

Tom Crispin wrote:

>> http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev26042006.pdf

> Wow! It's stunning. The photo I took yesterday has come up
> beautifully.

Still think "A bicycle journey is comparably safe to a journey by foot"
needs to be "A bicycle journey is just as safe as walking"

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Peter Clinch wrote:
> If anyone wants to have a stab at the "no content yet" bits I'd
> be very happy about that!

OK, here's a first stab for discussion:

Checking the Bike

1. Ensure that the tyres are in good condition and pumped up to the
correct pressure. The tyre sidewall should be undamaged. The
correct pressure range for the tyre should be marked on the sidewall;
you may find a track pump will achieve these pressures more easily than
a traditional stick pump.

2. Check that the wheels are straight, by inverting or suspending the
bike and rotating the wheels; the brake blocks can be used as a guide.
A well-built wheel should remain within 2mm [1] of perfectly true; any
worse than this and the brakes will be harder to operate.
Your local bicycle shop can re-true wheels such that they spin freely
between the brake pads.

3. The brake blocks should have at least 3mm [1] of pad left before it
is worn down. They should be bearing on the wheel braking surface,
never on the tyre sidewall. Your child should be able to operate both
brakes comfortably with their hands; many brake levers have adjustment
screws to limit the lever travel for children with smaller hands.
[picture?] The brakes should be adjusted such that when the bike is
pushed forwards and the front brake alone is operated by your child, the
rear of the bike will lift; if the rear brake alone is operated, the
rear wheel will slide. Small adjustments to the brake pad spacing can
be achieved with barrel adjusters found at either end of the brake
cables. [picture?]

4. Standing in front of the bike and gripping the front wheel between
your knees, it should not be possible to twist the handlebars out of
alignment; if it is, it should be reset and the headset tightened
[picture of headset nut?] The handlebars should not rotate. [picture of
stem nut?]

5. The saddle should be at a height such that when seated, your child
can touch the ground with one foot. The saddle and the seatpost should
be securely fixed. [picture of child with one foot poised?]

6. Gears should operate correctly. In particular, the chain should not
drop off the largest or smallest cogs when the gears are changed, as
this could damage the bicycle. The chain itself should run smoothly
over all the gears. Moving parts should be /lightly/ oiled, with any
excess wiped off with a rag.

7. All other parts of the bicycle, where fitted, should be securely
attached. Mudguards should not rub on the tyres. Lights should be
working and not be obscured.