Cycling to school

Dirtylitterboxo

Guest
Interesting article in local evening rag

See

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/Content/News/story.asp?datet-
ime=13+Apr+2004 +11%3A51&tbrand=ENOnline&tCategory=NEWS&cat-
egory=News&brand=ENOnline&itemi
d=NOED13+Apr+2004+11%3A52%3A05%3A320

or

http://tinyurl.com/3h7fv

"Congestion plan will hit small schools April 13, 2004 11:51

EDUCATION bosses have criticised the Government for "moving
the goalposts" on funding for initiatives aimed at cutting
school run congestion.

Last year, millions of pounds were promised to encourage
pupils to walk or cycle to school rather than rely on
parents for lifts.

The Government pledged £5,000 per primary school and
£10,000 per secondary school to implement travel plans,
improve safety and buy equipment.

In all, 52 Norfolk schools met the Government deadline for
applying for the payout before the end of last month. But
now the sums available have changed to £3,750 plus £5 per
pupil for primaries, and £5,000 plus £5 per pupil for
secondary school.

Critics argue primaries with fewer than 250 pupils would
lose out under the new rules. Secondary schools would need
1,000 pupils or more to make up the shortfall.

Tony Mulgrew, county spokesman for the National Union of
Teachers, said: "They are moving the goalposts again.

"This is another of the Government's endless initiatives
which they then don't fund.

"It's typical — they say one thing and then they
change it later. I think this is a good idea which
deserves to go ahead.

"Of course, there are some cases where parents need to
drive their children to school, but most pupils would be
better off walking, and there are ways of organising it so
it does happen."

Sarah Grainger, a governor who worked on a travel plan for
pupils at Cringleford First and Middle School, said: "It
sends out mixed messages. The Government is saying it wants
to reduce car use and introduce obesity task forces, but the
message must be consistent.

"If they do not send out a clear signal of their commitment
to this scheme it is frustrating for schools that have
worked so hard to put these plans together.

"It has been a long haul at Cringleford. We have worked for
two years to formulate our travel plan, but sometimes it
seems next to impossible to make any progress.

"If the Government is serious about improving public health,
it needs to make the healthy choice the simple choice."

Green party councillor Adrian Ramsay added: "If the
Government has promised a certain amount of money and that
gets changed, it might cause problems if schools are banking
on receiving a particular sum.

"It's extremely important to ensure we maximise the number
of children using alternative travel methods to get to
school, both for health reasons and to combat congestion."

Nick Williams, city councillor for Mousehold and former
governor at Mousehold First School, said: "Some schools
could well lose out more than others — it depends on the
size of the roll.

"Obviously for bigger schools it might be better, but for
the smaller ones it could affect them adversely.""

Cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
is switched off--

Do schools actively shame parents who drive their kids to
school? Morning assembly would be a good opportunity.

(Do they still have morning assembly?)

That won't cost anything.

Originally posted by Dirtylitterboxo
Interesting article in local evening rag

[edited by McBain_v1]

[...]

This sort of duplicity is hardly surprising. The Government can now argue that the larger schools - which are responsible for larger amount of congestion due to higher pupil numbers - will benefit more than under the previous regime, thereby allowing greater inroads to be made in tackling car use and fat kiddies.

You must also remember that this Government does not want to offend the car lobby too much and so probably thought that a reduction in funding to the smaller, and typically more remote, schools will still allow those pillocks who enjoy driving their 4x4 pollution-pushers to do so, with the safe delivery of their fat brats to school providing a perfect excuse.

The Government is not serious about child obesity because children cannot vote.

I agree entirely that there is too little done to get kids out of cars and back onto their own feet or two wheels when it comes to going to school, but with the "intiative overload" that headteachers must be suffering from, it would be nice if just for once there was a clear, consistent and above all sensible message coming from No.10 on this subject...

... whether some of the idiotic parents would actually listen is another matter. It's far to easy for some of the fat bastards out there to blame anyone and everyone apart from themselves for their fat and idle lifestyles that they indoctrinate their kids with.

The "Big Mac" generation needs to say "I'm not "lovin' it" cos being a lard-**** ain't cool :mad:

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Do schools actively shame parents who drive their kids to
> school? Morning assembly would be a good opportunity.
>
> (Do they still have morning assembly?)
>
> That won't cost anything.

Wouldn't work. My yongest is not at the school next door,
but one a 7 min walk away. The head FREQUENTLY has ago in
the fornightly news letter about parking in front of school
because it is dangerous, nad parking is available a 2 min
walk away. Some parents still park outside school, even on
fine days. MAny people are just LAZY.
--
.paul

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
the sport for you.

MSeries wrote:

> But would would they spend the money on ?

Sheffield stands and helmet lockers, usually.

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>
>> But would would they spend the money on ?
>
> Sheffield stands and helmet lockers, usually.

yes of course, I overlooked those as I was thinking of only
walking not cycling as I only ever walked to school.

"McBain_v1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The Government is not serious about child obesity because
> children cannot vote.

strange.

Kids might vote for more chips in school meals, or for
fat kids to be pushed around by a circle of skinny kids
until they cry.

Originally posted by W K
"McBain_v1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The Government is not serious about child obesity because
> children cannot vote.

strange.

Kids might vote for more chips in school meals, or for
fat kids to be pushed around by a circle of skinny kids
until they cry.

Ahh those halcyon days of beating up fat kids at school...

On 14 Apr 2004 09:20:03 GMT, [email protected]
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

>Interesting article in local evening rag
>
>See
>
>http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/Content/News/story.asp?date-
>time=13+Apr+2004 +11%3A51&tbrand=ENOnline&tCategory=NEWS&c-
>ategory=News&brand=ENOnline&itemi
>d=NOED13+Apr+2004+11%3A52%3A05%3A320
>
>or
>
>http://tinyurl.com/3h7fv
>
>"Congestion plan will hit small schools April 13,
>2004 11:51

It seems perfectly reasonable that a primary school with 500
pupils should receive more funding than one with 100 pupils.

The PSF mentioned:
> >http://tinyurl.com/3h7fv
> >
> >"Congestion plan will hit small schools

and Gonzalez responded:
> It seems perfectly reasonable that a primary school
> with 500 pupils should receive more funding than one
> with 100 pupils.

That was my first thought, too. However, I think the
current funding rules should have been in place and made
clear from the start. To pledge a certain amount of
funding, let the schools make plans and then move the
goalposts really isn't on, IMHO.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:49:45 +0100, "Danny Colyer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The PSF mentioned:
>> >http://tinyurl.com/3h7fv
>> >
>> >"Congestion plan will hit small schools
>
>and Gonzalez responded:
>> It seems perfectly reasonable that a primary school with
>> 500 pupils should receive more funding than one with 100
>> pupils.
>
>That was my first thought, too. However, I think the
>current funding rules should have been in place and made
>clear from the start. To pledge a certain amount of
>funding, let the schools make plans and then move the
>goalposts really isn't on, IMHO.

I'd be very surprised if the schools are getting the
money directly from central government. The way it
usually works is this:

The government allocate a certain amount of money to local
education authorities based on its number of primary and
secondary schools. The LEA then decide how to allocate the
money to schools. This is usually distributed by a formula
that allocates a certain amount of cash per school plus an
amount dependent on the size of the school.

I suspect that the report is misleading. While it is
probably true that the Government has pledged (and indeed
allocated an average of) £5000 per primary and £10,000 per
secondary school, it is unlikely to have been the Government
which has allocated the cash to the schools.

Incidently, parents who choose to drive their pupils to the
school where I teach receive an annual subsidy of about £70,
and teachers a subsidy of about £300.

Parking in the car park is 10p for 10 minutes. Parents can
apply for a £10 annual permit which allows them to park
between 8.50am and 9.10 and 3.10pm and 3.30pm during term
time (about 200 days per year).

An annual business parking permit is £400, teachers, and
teachers alone, can apply for a £100 permit.

I think that it's unfair that I cannot have a similar
subsidy for cycling to school, and children who walk or
cycle don't have similar benefits.

£300 per annum for teachers who walk, cycle or use public
transport and £70 for pupils. It would work wonders.

I feel that a letter to Red Ken may be in order.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Do schools actively shame parents who drive their kids to
> school? Morning assembly would be a good opportunity.

That would be shaming the kids rather than their parents.

--
Dave...

paul wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Do schools actively shame parents who drive their kids
> > to school? Morning assembly would be a good opportunity.
> >
> > (Do they still have morning assembly?)
> >
> > That won't cost anything.

> Wouldn't work. My yongest is not at the school next door,
> but one a 7 min walk away. The head FREQUENTLY has ago in
> the fornightly news letter about parking in front of
> school because it is dangerous, nad parking is available a
> 2 min walk away. Some parents still park outside school,
> even on fine days. MAny people are just LAZY.

Sounds as if its my local school you are talking about.

Here they have just wooden-posted all the verges to stop
parents parking on them. They can now only drop off as, if
they hang about as is their wont, the access roads will
become a complete standstill :)

John B

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> MSeries wrote:
>
> > But would would they spend the money on ?
>
> Sheffield stands and helmet lockers, usually.

Neither of which were needed 'in my day' of cycling to
school.

John b

Jon Senior wrote:

> "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > That would be shaming the kids rather than their
> > parents.
>
> "Mummy. My teacher says that driving me round the
> corner to school each day is pa...the...tic. What does
> that mean?"
>
> I think s few well chosen words could go a long way
> towards shaming the parents. Perhaps the chosen form of
> transportation for each child could be mentioned in
> Parent's Evenings.

When my daughter (then 8) questioned a classmate why she was
driven 150-ish yards to school the tale got back to the
parent. The result was said parent knocking loudly on our
front door and aggressively accusing us of allowing our
daughter to have a go at their's.

Don't underestimate what crazed responses you may receive.
Neither parents nor children can do wrong. Ever.

John B

JohnB posted ...

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
>>
>> MSeries wrote:
>>
>>> But would would they spend the money on ?
>>
>> Sheffield stands and helmet lockers, usually.
>
> Neither of which were needed 'in my day' of cycling
> to school.

Days have changed ..

'In my day' we didn't need to lock them anywhere ... and
they'd still be there when we returned, not vandakised
beyond repair.

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> paul wrote:
> >
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...
> > > Do schools actively shame parents who drive their kids
> > > to school? Morning assembly would be a good
> > > opportunity.
> > >
> > > (Do they still have morning assembly?)
> > >
> > > That won't cost anything.
>
> > Wouldn't work. My yongest is not at the school next
> > door, but one a 7 min walk away. The head FREQUENTLY
> > has ago in the fornightly news letter about parking in
> > front of school because it is dangerous, nad parking
> > is available a 2 min walk away. Some parents still
> > park outside school, even on fine days. MAny people
> > are just LAZY.
>
> Sounds as if its my local school you are talking about.
>
> Here they have just wooden-posted all the verges to stop
> parents parking on them. They can now only drop off as, if
> they hang about as is their wont, the access roads will
> become a complete standstill :)
>
> John B

We have wooden posts along the opposit side of the road to
toe school, but that's to stop impatient motorists from
mounting the pavemewnt and running children over. It took
such an event to convince the council that it was money well
spent though :(

--
.paul

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
the sport for you.

> JohnB posted ...

> >> Sheffield stands and helmet lockers, usually.
> >
> > Neither of which were needed 'in my day' of cycling to
> > school.
>
> Days have changed ..
>
> 'In my day' we didn't need to lock them anywhere ... and
> they'd still be there when we returned, not vandakised
> beyond repair.

What was a lock?

John B