Cycling to the North Pole....

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic adventure and needs your help. check out his
    site www.polarroll.com and do what you can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.

    Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such challenging journeys? As some of us are unable,
    might there be an opportunity to live vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?

    Dream big and spin fast, dave aka super dave's smoothies helping you recover so you can do it
    again tomorrow.

    Tags:

  2. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    april 1st was a few days ago...

    ________________________________

    Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    ________________________________

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Magnetic or true?
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  4. Ron Hardin wrote:

    > Magnetic or true?

    Cycling to the magnetic pole might be tricky. It can move by somewhere around 80 km on a single day,
    if you're unlucky.

    I don't quite see the attraction in cycling to the magnetic pole.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

  5. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > Magnetic or true?

    Magnetic, according to the web page; it's much closer to the Canadian mainland than the
    true pole is.

  6. > I don't quite see the attraction in cycling to the magnetic pole.

    It's quite attractive; more so if you have a steel frame :)

    Peter

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic
    adventure and
    > needs your help. check out his site www.polarroll.com and
    do what you
    > can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such
    challenging journeys?
    > As some of us are unable, might there be an opportunity
    to live
    > vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?

    Give him a book about Shackleton, and see if he still wants to go after reading it.

    Matt O.

  8. Bob Bayn

    Bob Bayn Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
    <[email protected]> writes:
    > "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic
    > adventure and
    >> needs your help. check out his site www.polarroll.com and
    > do what you
    >> can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.
    >>
    >> Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such
    > challenging journeys?
    >> As some of us are unable, might there be an opportunity
    > to live
    >> vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?
    >
    > Give him a book about Shackleton, and see if he still wants to go after reading it.

    No, Shackleton was headed for the south pole. He should read about Umberto Nobile's ill-fated
    balloon flight to the North pole. A similarly agonizing survival experience.

    --
    Bob Bayn Welcome to Cache Valley; o AUS/N&CS Please set your chronometer \__^\=* Utah State Univ
    back 20 years and 10 minutes. (O)""""o

  9. MD-CYCLIST

    MD-CYCLIST New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2003
    Dear Dave

    I think its a great Idea and I was wondering would your friend Be willing to take a Half Marathon and Recently Turned into cycling Someone with Him I.E Myself, I mean you never know when he will need medical or anyother sort of help and I am a great to get a long and I would love to take part in this event of such high ambition, well Give my good luck and regards to your friend and I hope to hear from you very soon.

    Kind regards
    A H Khadra

  10. Blind Freddy

    Blind Freddy Guest

    "Bob Bayn, Network & Computing Services" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | In article <[email protected]>, "Matt
    O'Toole" <[email protected]> writes:
    | > "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | >
    | >> a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic
    | > adventure and
    | >> needs your help. check out his site www.polarroll.com and
    | > do what you
    | >> can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.
    | >>
    | >> Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such
    | > challenging journeys?
    | >> As some of us are unable, might there be an opportunity
    | > to live
    | >> vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?
    | >
    | > Give him a book about Shackleton, and see if he still wants to go after reading it.
    |
    | No, Shackleton was headed for the south pole. He should read about Umberto Nobile's ill-fated
    | balloon flight to the North pole. A similarly agonizing survival experience.
    |
    | --

    Shackleton spent some time in the North Pole but his voyage to the south resulted in his crew being
    stuck for two years. At least he brought all of his men back alive.

    Marty

  11. Peter Gardner wrote:

    >>I don't quite see the attraction in cycling to the magnetic pole.
    >>

    >It's quite attractive; more so if you have a steel frame :)
    >
    >Peter

    Damn, I wanted to make that joke.

    --
    Cheers Damian Harvey

    Just call me Clyde.

  12. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic adventure and needs your help. check out his
    > site www.polarroll.com and do what you can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.

    Who's helping me fulfill *my* dream of screwing Miss World in front of an open fire with a cheque
    (that's a "check" to my North American cousins) for ten million quid [or dollar equivalent] clenched
    between my buttocks?

    > Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such challenging journeys? As some of us are unable,
    > might there be an opportunity to live vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?

    What would be so great about this exactly?

    The average number of attached toes per adult human would fall some, but so what: Cheaper
    shoes maybe?

    What a complete waste of time and cash.

    If I want to live vicariously, I'd prefer to be downloading p0rnz off KaaZaa. And it's slightly less
    masturbatory than this misbegotten "adventure".

    Tim.

  13. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Give him a book about Shackleton, and see if he still wants to go after reading it.

    also since the north pole is just frozen sea ice travel is extremely difficult due to the pressure
    ridges and open leads in the ice...it's incredibly hard on ski's (I've done some exploring above the
    arctic circle in Greenland). the idea of riding a bike is simply absurd.

    ________________________________

    Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    ________________________________

  14. >...the idea of riding a bike is simply absurd.

    Some Japanese guy rode well above the arctic circle for a while a couple of years ago. A lot of
    people said he'd never outrun a polar bear on the ice cap, but he didn't have a problem with that.

    It isn't completely far fetched. It's not as silly as parasailing across Antarctica, or snowmobiling
    to the North Pole.

    Both of which have been done. Sort of.

    There isn't any technical reason I can see that it couldn't be done, you'd have to walk the bike a
    lot and carry a boatload of gear, but that sounds like a normal bike tour to me.

    the Texas Elvis"------------------

  15. In rec.bicycles.misc Tim Cain <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote:
    : Who's helping me fulfill *my* dream of screwing Miss World in front of an open fire with a cheque
    : (that's a "check" to my North American cousins) for ten million quid [or dollar equivalent]
    : clenched between my buttocks?

    i'd be willing to kick in $5 or $10 for that but there would need to be some sort of documentary.
    can you line up the BBC? Geraldo Rivera?
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  16. In rec.bicycles.misc Eric S. Sande <[email protected]> wrote:
    : It isn't completely far fetched. It's not as silly as parasailing across Antarctica, or
    : snowmobiling to the North Pole.

    actually it does sound sillier than snowmobiling or parasailing. both of those modes are quite a bit
    more tailored to the terrain.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  17. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    dave wrote:

    > a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic adventure and needs your help. check out his
    > site www.polarroll.com and do what you can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such challenging journeys? As some of us are unable,
    > might there be an opportunity to live vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?

    Been there. I lived in Fairbanks AK for 6 years and rode up the road to North Pole AK, the actual
    town, several times.

    Wayne

  18. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Some Japanese guy rode well above the arctic circle for a while a couple of years ago. A lot of
    > people said he'd never outrun a polar bear on the ice cap, but he didn't have a problem with that.

    "some japanese guy" also "skied" down everest...well, he made 2 turns then fell 10,000 feet. You can
    drive a car north of the arctic circle in finland.

    > It isn't completely far fetched. It's not as silly as parasailing across Antarctica, or
    > snowmobiling to the North Pole.

    silly? "parasailing" is actually kite assisted skiing...when you're pulling 200 pound sleds using
    kites lets you cover incredible distances, when conditions allow...which isn't that often. Plus,
    Antarctica is an icecap, not frozen ocean, so travel is easier (relatively that is).

    as for snowmobiles...lets see them do it unsupported.

    > There isn't any technical reason I can see that it couldn't be done, you'd have to walk the bike a
    > lot and carry a boatload of gear, but that sounds like a normal bike tour to me.

    There's also no technical reason you can't rollerblade to the north pole...it's still
    totally absurd.

    Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com

  19. Lance Armstrong is reported to have a set of magnetic bearings which could be useful in
    this attempt.