Cycling to the North Pole....

Dave

Guest
a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic adventure and needs your help. check out his
site www.polarroll.com and do what you can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.

Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such challenging journeys? As some of us are unable,
might there be an opportunity to live vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?

Dream big and spin fast, dave aka super dave's smoothies helping you recover so you can do it
again tomorrow.

april 1st was a few days ago...

________________________________

Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
________________________________

Ron Hardin wrote:

> Magnetic or true?

Cycling to the magnetic pole might be tricky. It can move by somewhere around 80 km on a single day,
if you're unlucky.

I don't quite see the attraction in cycling to the magnetic pole.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

> Magnetic or true?

Magnetic, according to the web page; it's much closer to the Canadian mainland than the
true pole is.

> I don't quite see the attraction in cycling to the magnetic pole.

It's quite attractive; more so if you have a steel frame :)

Peter

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic
adventure and
> needs your help. check out his site www.polarroll.com and
do what you
> can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.
>
> Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such
challenging journeys?
> As some of us are unable, might there be an opportunity
to live
> vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?

Give him a book about Shackleton, and see if he still wants to go after reading it.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
<[email protected]> writes:
> "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic
> adventure and
>> needs your help. check out his site www.polarroll.com and
> do what you
>> can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such
> challenging journeys?
>> As some of us are unable, might there be an opportunity
> to live
>> vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?
>
> Give him a book about Shackleton, and see if he still wants to go after reading it.

No, Shackleton was headed for the south pole. He should read about Umberto Nobile's ill-fated
balloon flight to the North pole. A similarly agonizing survival experience.

--
Bob Bayn Welcome to Cache Valley; o AUS/N&CS Please set your chronometer \__^\=* Utah State Univ
back 20 years and 10 minutes. (O)""""o

Dear Dave

I think its a great Idea and I was wondering would your friend Be willing to take a Half Marathon and Recently Turned into cycling Someone with Him I.E Myself, I mean you never know when he will need medical or anyother sort of help and I am a great to get a long and I would love to take part in this event of such high ambition, well Give my good luck and regards to your friend and I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

"Bob Bayn, Network & Computing Services" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In article <[email protected]>, "Matt
O'Toole" <[email protected]> writes:
| > "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > news:[email protected]...
| >
| >> a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic
| > adventure and
| >> needs your help. check out his site www.polarroll.com and
| > do what you
| >> can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.
| >>
| >> Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such
| > challenging journeys?
| >> As some of us are unable, might there be an opportunity
| > to live
| >> vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?
| >
| > Give him a book about Shackleton, and see if he still wants to go after reading it.
|
| No, Shackleton was headed for the south pole. He should read about Umberto Nobile's ill-fated
| balloon flight to the North pole. A similarly agonizing survival experience.
|
| --

Shackleton spent some time in the North Pole but his voyage to the south resulted in his crew being
stuck for two years. At least he brought all of his men back alive.

Marty

Peter Gardner wrote:

>>I don't quite see the attraction in cycling to the magnetic pole.
>>

>It's quite attractive; more so if you have a steel frame :)
>
>Peter

Damn, I wanted to make that joke.

--
Cheers Damian Harvey

Just call me Clyde.

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic adventure and needs your help. check out his
> site www.polarroll.com and do what you can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.

Who's helping me fulfill *my* dream of screwing Miss World in front of an open fire with a cheque
(that's a "check" to my North American cousins) for ten million quid [or dollar equivalent] clenched
between my buttocks?

> Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such challenging journeys? As some of us are unable,
> might there be an opportunity to live vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?

What would be so great about this exactly?

The average number of attached toes per adult human would fall some, but so what: Cheaper
shoes maybe?

What a complete waste of time and cash.

If I want to live vicariously, I'd prefer to be downloading p0rnz off KaaZaa. And it's slightly less
masturbatory than this misbegotten "adventure".

Tim.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Give him a book about Shackleton, and see if he still wants to go after reading it.

also since the north pole is just frozen sea ice travel is extremely difficult due to the pressure
ridges and open leads in the ice...it's incredibly hard on ski's (I've done some exploring above the
arctic circle in Greenland). the idea of riding a bike is simply absurd.

________________________________

Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
________________________________

>...the idea of riding a bike is simply absurd.

Some Japanese guy rode well above the arctic circle for a while a couple of years ago. A lot of
people said he'd never outrun a polar bear on the ice cap, but he didn't have a problem with that.

It isn't completely far fetched. It's not as silly as parasailing across Antarctica, or snowmobiling
to the North Pole.

Both of which have been done. Sort of.

There isn't any technical reason I can see that it couldn't be done, you'd have to walk the bike a
lot and carry a boatload of gear, but that sounds like a normal bike tour to me.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

In rec.bicycles.misc Tim Cain <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote:
: Who's helping me fulfill *my* dream of screwing Miss World in front of an open fire with a cheque
: (that's a "check" to my North American cousins) for ten million quid [or dollar equivalent]
: clenched between my buttocks?

i'd be willing to kick in $5 or $10 for that but there would need to be some sort of documentary.
can you line up the BBC? Geraldo Rivera?
--
david reuteler [email protected]

In rec.bicycles.misc Eric S. Sande <[email protected]> wrote:
: It isn't completely far fetched. It's not as silly as parasailing across Antarctica, or
: snowmobiling to the North Pole.

actually it does sound sillier than snowmobiling or parasailing. both of those modes are quite a bit
more tailored to the terrain.
--

dave wrote:

> a very good friend of mine is undertaking this epic adventure and needs your help. check out his
> site www.polarroll.com and do what you can if you would like to see him fulfill a dream.
>
> Wouldn't it be great if all of us undertook such challenging journeys? As some of us are unable,
> might there be an opportunity to live vicariously through Jeff's endeavors?

Been there. I lived in Fairbanks AK for 6 years and rode up the road to North Pole AK, the actual
town, several times.

Wayne

In article <[email protected]>,
"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Some Japanese guy rode well above the arctic circle for a while a couple of years ago. A lot of
> people said he'd never outrun a polar bear on the ice cap, but he didn't have a problem with that.

"some japanese guy" also "skied" down everest...well, he made 2 turns then fell 10,000 feet. You can
drive a car north of the arctic circle in finland.

> It isn't completely far fetched. It's not as silly as parasailing across Antarctica, or
> snowmobiling to the North Pole.

silly? "parasailing" is actually kite assisted skiing...when you're pulling 200 pound sleds using
kites lets you cover incredible distances, when conditions allow...which isn't that often. Plus,
Antarctica is an icecap, not frozen ocean, so travel is easier (relatively that is).

as for snowmobiles...lets see them do it unsupported.

> There isn't any technical reason I can see that it couldn't be done, you'd have to walk the bike a
> lot and carry a boatload of gear, but that sounds like a normal bike tour to me.

There's also no technical reason you can't rollerblade to the north pole...it's still
totally absurd.

Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com

Lance Armstrong is reported to have a set of magnetic bearings which could be useful in
this attempt.