Cycling to University

Andy Smith

Guest
Hi,

I'm moving into my final year of university, but it looks like my accomodation will be far from the
campus this time around, eg. further than walking distance. I'm willing/eager to commute by bike,
but I need a cheap second hand one of some sort. I have a racer, but I'm not willing to use that as
I really don't want to use it for the daily grind.

So, does anyone have suggestions as to where I may obtain a good secondhand bike for 'student
prices' in the Staffordshire (Stafford, Burton, etc preferred) area or the Birmingham/Solihull area?

Also, aside from needing lights and real mudguards is there anything else to consider? I've read
sites like bicyclinglife.com and the appropriate sections on commuting.

Many thanks.

--
Andy

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:05:39 -0000, Andy Smith <andy@[email protected]> was popularly supposed to
have said:

>Hi,
>
>I'm moving into my final year of university, but it looks like my accomodation will be far from the
>campus this time around, eg. further than walking distance. I'm willing/eager to commute by bike,
>but I need a cheap second hand one of some sort. I have a racer, but I'm not willing to use that as
>I really don't want to use it for the daily grind.
>
>So, does anyone have suggestions as to where I may obtain a good secondhand bike for 'student
>prices' in the Staffordshire (Stafford, Burton, etc preferred) area or the
>Birmingham/Solihull area?
>
>Also, aside from needing lights and real mudguards is there anything else to consider? I've read
>sites like bicyclinglife.com and the appropriate sections on commuting.

You want something that isn't a mountainbike, that doesn't cost much and which looks really, REALLY
tatty and horrible. Buy secondhand, and paint it with some red primer paint; make it look nasty so
no thief will want to bother nicking it.

Next, get a nice big lock. Cable locks are only good for short-term locking; a D-lock is the only
way to go. Try to find an older bike with wheels that aren't quick release, otherwise you'll need
something to lock the front wheel onto the frame, as well as the D-lock through the frame, back
wheel and some nice handy railings.

Don't bother with bike alarms; nobody takes the slightest bit of notice of 'em.

Apart from that, keep it lubed, make SURE the brakes work and that you know how to adjust 'em, carry
a mini toolkit sufficient to repair punctures and effect some repairs (a Cool Tool, tyre levers,
puncture kit and some gaffer tape is enough) and that should be all you need.

--
Dan Holdsworth PhD [email protected] By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the
beans of Java do thoughts acquire speed, hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, By

"Dan Holdsworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> carry a mini toolkit sufficient to repair punctures and effect some repairs (a Cool Tool, tyre
> levers, puncture kit and some gaffer tape is enough) and that should be all you need.

I'd agree with all of the above but the puncture kit.

far easier to carry a spare inner tube (or two) which negates the need for carrying/ blagging a
bucket of water :)

carry one of those co2 pumps and a pair of disposable plastic gloves (super thin clingfilm type) to
make a puncture event totally stress free.

oh, and a couple of cable ties wouldn't go amiss

hth

Albert

"Andy Smith" <andy@[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm moving into my final year of university, but it looks like my accomodation will be far from
> the campus this time around, eg. further
than
> walking distance. I'm willing/eager to commute by bike, but I need a cheap second hand one of some
> sort. I have a racer, but I'm not willing to use that as I really don't want to use it for the
> daily grind.
>
> So, does anyone have suggestions as to where I may obtain a good
secondhand
> bike for 'student prices' in the Staffordshire (Stafford, Burton, etc preferred) area or the
> Birmingham/Solihull area?
>
> Also, aside from needing lights and real mudguards is there anything else
> consider? I've read sites like bicyclinglife.com and the appropriate sections on commuting.

Here the local tip 're-cycles' bikes thrown out by the great unwashed. Most are **** but there is
often one or two that would do. It could be worth a visit to your local tips.

Check with Plod. He auctions stolen goods off at regular intervals.

Check your local papers & newsagents windows. Put an ad in the newsagents window/supermarket
'customer's notice board' asking for a bike.

Tatty but ridable is good. A good lock is vital.

Match the tool kit to miles. Basically, be able to fix a puncture & tighten up a loose nut or screw
on route but accept that once in a blue moon you may have to walk a couple of miles home (well, that
applies to all cycling ( ). Keep some extra repair stuff in your locker at uni.

In article <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes

>"Andy Smith" <andy@[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm moving into my final year of university, but it looks like my accomodation will be far from
>> the campus this time around, eg. further
>than
>> walking distance. I'm willing/eager to commute by bike, but I need a cheap second hand one of
>> some sort. I have a racer, but I'm not willing to use that as I really don't want to use it for
>> the daily grind.
>>
>> So, does anyone have suggestions as to where I may obtain a good
>secondhand
>> bike for 'student prices' in the Staffordshire (Stafford, Burton, etc preferred) area or the
>> Birmingham/Solihull area?
>>
>> Also, aside from needing lights and real mudguards is there anything else
>> consider? I've read sites like bicyclinglife.com and the appropriate sections on commuting.
>
>Here the local tip 're-cycles' bikes thrown out by the great unwashed. Most are **** but there is
>often one or two that would do. It could be worth a visit to your local tips.
>
>Check with Plod. He auctions stolen goods off at regular intervals.

Or, of course, he could steal one himself.
--
The Big Baguette

"Dan Holdsworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> You want something that isn't a mountainbike, that doesn't cost much and which looks really,
> REALLY tatty and horrible. Buy secondhand, and paint it with some red primer paint; make it look
> nasty so no thief will want to bother nicking it.

Times have perhaps changed, what about a thin tube rigid MTB? I'm sure they are going to be as
popular as an old "racer" by now.

"Andy Smith" <andy@[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> So, does anyone have suggestions as to where I may obtain a good secondhand bike for 'student
> prices' in the Staffordshire (Stafford, Burton, etc preferred) area or the
> Birmingham/Solihull area?

Not sure about shops, but the Classified Ads section in the Express and Star (a Wolverhampton paper,
but has editions for other bits of the West Mids.) is usually a good place to look.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

At my local uni there are periodic bike sales of bikes that have been abandoned on campus -
these go *really* cheap as most really are *awful* - but if your uni does similar, it could be a
way of getting a bike that does what you need without being an object of desire - the bike that
is, not you ;-)

Another line - does your uni have a bicycle user group? If it does - could be another route into
finding a really cheap bike.

As for other things to consider - get some hi-vis&reflective clothing. The number of stealth
cyclists (those wearing dark clothing & no lights) around my local campus is appalling.

For cheap yet fine gear see

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/RoadSafetyOnline/topic/topicmenu-1.stm

For example -

helmets from £6.50 reflective&fluorescent waistcoat £5.00 front & back light set £4.00

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Dan Holdsworth <[email protected]> wrote:
>Next, get a nice big lock. Cable locks are only good for short-term locking; a D-lock is the only
>way to go.

Um. My impression is that D-locks are so prevalent that thieves normally carry hydraulic jacks,
rather than bolt-cutters.

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > oh, and a couple of cable ties wouldn't go amiss
>
> Cable ties can be readily obtained from the nearest lamppost or traffic sign.

Or if the university in the original poster's message has a physics or electronics dept., it should
be easy enough to scrounge some from the technical or research staff (been there, done that....).