Cycling to work - an uphill task in Kuala LUmpur

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by sportsmed, Jul 11, 2008.

1. sportsmed

sportsmed New Member

I used to cycle for an hour everyday 20 yrs ago and cycled to University in Nottingham, UK. With the recent petrol price hikes of 40% in Malaysia and a risk of developing heart disease (since I'm overweight), I have decided to cycle to work. With that I did some research and started a blog called Cycling Professionals http://cyclingprofessionals.blogspot.com. Do let me know what you think of the blog.

Most of my friends and colleagues tell me that there are better ways to 'die' than to be knocked down by a truck or bus. I suppose we could choose to cycle safely, plan our routes and train for fitness to reduce the risks.

Any suggestions on how to promote cycling in a city where most people has given up on cycling?

Cheers!

Tags:

2. sportsmed

sportsmed New Member

I have met up with a few ex-elite riders who have decided to rope in riders who would ride together during weekends just for fun. As we develop more stamina and skills, we could make cycling to work a possibility.

3. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

Well, some advertiser bumped this thread up.

Say, how is it there with the 2-stroke motorcycle exhaust? That stuff is supposed to be death to your lungs even if you're not working out. Half burnt oil droplets with fuel mixed in.

In general, what are the vehicle emissions laws? Cycling there during rush hour might be dangerous.

4. langyuming

langyuming New Member

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.