Cycling to work in the cold?

Caher

New Member
May 22, 2003
Hi all,
Those of you brave people cycling to work at the moment are there any extra pieces of advice (I might have to as the town is now under siege from road works) i.e. black ice and sub zero temperatures?
Thanks
Caher

Caher wrote:

> Those of you brave people cycling to work at the moment are there any
> extra pieces of advice (I might have to as the town is now under siege
> from road works) i.e. black ice and sub zero temperatures?

Don't overheat. Set off feeling chilly; you'll soon warm up. If you're too
warm then lose a layer -- ie, don't open collars/zips to cool down.

And oil/wipe your chain every day (even when it's dry) as the salt will
build up on it.

Caher wrote:
> Hi all,
> Those of you brave people cycling to work at the moment are there any
> extra pieces of advice (I might have to as the town is now under siege
> from road works) i.e. black ice and sub zero temperatures?

Avoid the former and dress appropriately for the latter. :)

Seriously - be aware of the places that black ice might form (dips in
the road, bridges, shady bits) and try to ride so you're not having to
brake sharply or turn. Keep your speed down. Ride (if you're not
already) in the tyre tracks of vehicles; they tend to clear out the ice,
if it's fairly light (conversely they tend to pack deeper snow into icy
ridges, so I actively avoid them when there's fresh snow on clean
ground). It's one of the few times when I consider wearing a helmet, as
very low speed falls are almost within the design envelope of the
damn things. Be aware of back wheel skids, be prepared to release the
back brake immediately it starts to slide out, and be aware of front
wheel skids. Don't carry your laptop in your backpack. :) Be careful
of fast descents; aside from the ice problem, a shivering rider can set
up or aggravate shimmy. Beware of gritters; aside from having an eyeful
of grit, the loose stuff can be treacherous on corners. Be extra
careful of drivers who can't be arsed to clean and/or demist their
windows thoroughly.

Clothing-wise a hat and gloves, obviously, and a scarf - I've got a
"scrim" scarf from an ex-Army shop that's brilliant at keeping my neck
and jaw warm as well as mopping up sweat and was a couple of quid.
Long johns and a thermal layer are also v. useful, particularly if you
don't get very warm by cycling. If your bike's kept outside, a plastic
bag over the saddle will stop frost forming on the saddle with the
resultant chilly ****. I find gloves are the most important thing -
fingers get really, really cold when they're just sitting there gripping
(with, therefore, reduced circulation).

R.

Richard <[email protected]> wrote:

: Avoid the former and dress appropriately for the latter. :)

If you cycle in in your normal clothes, it's worth removing keys/coins
etc from your pockets. They can lead to nasty injuries if you fall off
on the ice.

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:

: Don't overheat. Set off feeling chilly; you'll soon warm up. If you're too
: warm then lose a layer -- ie, don't open collars/zips to cool down.

Depends how far you are going. My trip is only two miles so I set off warm.
I open the zip on my jacket if needed halfway there. Adding/removing layers
would be a PITA on such a short trip and I'm not going to warm up anyway.

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Don't overheat. Set off feeling chilly; you'll soon warm up. If
>> you're too warm then lose a layer -- ie, don't open collars/zips to
>> cool down.

> Depends how far you are going. My trip is only two miles so I set off
> warm. I open the zip on my jacket if needed halfway there.
> Adding/removing layers would be a PITA on such a short trip and I'm
> not going to warm up anyway.

Good point. How far do you intend to cycle Caher?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:52:38 +1100, Caher
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Those of you brave people cycling to work at the moment are there any
>extra pieces of advice (I might have to as the town is now under siege
>from road works) i.e. black ice and sub zero temperatures?

If it's really icy, keep to the bus routes (they get preferential
treatment from the gritters) and shun all cycle facilities; keep your
wheels in the wheel tracks of the cagers. Also, assume that any shiny
bit of road is a skating rink until proven otherwise. And wear nice
thick gloves and a warm hat. And smile! You're having fun :)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

"Caher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi all,
> Those of you brave people cycling to work at the moment are there any
> extra pieces of advice (I might have to as the town is now under siege
> from road works) i.e. black ice and sub zero temperatures?
> Thanks
> Caher
>

> --
> Caher

Get yourself a 'buff' wear it as a scarf, if it is colder than you think you
can turn it in to a Balaclava, if it is warmer you can take it off and stuff
it in a pocket.

It was one of the best Xmas presents I have ever had.

Cliff

Caher wrote:

> Hi all,
> Those of you brave people cycling to work at the moment are there any
> extra pieces of advice (I might have to as the town is now under siege
> from road works) i.e. black ice and sub zero temperatures?
> Thanks
> Caher

A black polo pancho[1] and join the dark side. Thick gloves as well. I
use my motorcycle gloves.

[1]http://www.whatson.org/shops/shopping/jammin.htm these things are the
DBs for cold. A -10C ride to work yesterday more than justified it.