Cycling to work

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jose Marques, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Jose Marques

    Jose Marques Guest

    The thread on longest commutes prompted me to cycle into work today (I usually drive). About 30
    miles on a Brompton L6 + SD. God is that an uncomfortable bike. The fact that I'm over 15 stone and
    not too fit probably didn't help. I think I'll get the train home. ;-)

    --
    Jose Marques

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Jose Marques <[email protected]> wrote:
    : The thread on longest commutes prompted me to cycle into work today (I usually drive). About 30
    : miles on a Brompton L6 + SD. God is that an uncomfortable bike. The fact that I'm over 15 stone
    : and not too fit probably didn't help. I think I'll get the train home. ;-)

    That's a good effort on a brompton! I find them find for very short trips but not so good for
    longer rides.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  3. Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jose Marques <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : The thread on longest commutes prompted me to cycle into work today (I usually drive). About 30
    > : miles on a Brompton L6 + SD. God is that an uncomfortable bike. The fact that I'm over 15 stone
    > : and not too fit probably didn't help. I think I'll get the train home. ;-)
    >

    > That's a good effort on a brompton! I find them find for very short trips but not so good for
    > longer rides.

    Apparently some Italian chap did the London-Edinburgh-London 1300km Audax event on a Brompton last
    time round

  4. Daren Austin

    Daren Austin Guest

    "Andrew Sweetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Jose Marques <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > : The thread on longest commutes prompted me to cycle into work today (I usually drive). About
    > > : 30 miles on a Brompton L6 + SD. God is that an uncomfortable bike. The fact that I'm over 15
    > > : stone and not too fit probably didn't help. I think I'll get the train home. ;-)
    > >

    > > That's a good effort on a brompton! I find them find for very short trips but not so good for
    > > longer rides.
    > >

    > Apparently some Italian chap did the London-Edinburgh-London 1300km Audax event on a Brompton last
    > time round

    I've done 300km on my L6 in the last week. The 200K Dunwich dynamo on Saturday night was great fun.
    The trick is to move the bars forward about an inch, have reduced gearing and a better saddle.
    Clipless pedals help avoid the dreaded ankle bashing. Still, a lot of weight over the back wheel
    makes for more than a little discomfort.

    My average speed was 14.4 mph and I am <11 stone and moderately fit.

    1300km is very impressive, looks like I've fewer excuses for a 400km now

    kind regards,

    Daren