Cycling to work

gracer

Jul 1, 2016
I have a neighbor who has been using a bike for his work as a massage therapist. For as long as I can remember, he has been cycling going to his clients everyday, even at night. I can say he's the expert in my neighborhood when it comes to road cycling since he has been riding across town for so many years now. Despite his age of more than 50, he can still pretty much cycle across town the way a 20 year old does.

Do you also cycle to work at times?

Those who use the bike to work are the lowly workers particularly the crew in construction who save fare money. That also includes the messengers and letter couriers. But for white collar employees, I haven't seen anyone going to work on a bike. This is a tropical country and the main problem with physical exertion is sweating. It is not good to arrive to the office in clothes drenched in sweat. And during rush hours, it is dangerous to ride with the heavy traffic on the roads.

I don't have half the years of experience when it comes to commuting compared to your neighbour, He sounds quite fit nonetheless. But I can ride across my neighborhood without any qualms and I would go around town if not was because the place is so bike unfriendly. But at least I can commute.

I remember watching documentaries of people using their bikes to work or to school and I just have nothing but praises for these kinds of people. Aside from saving money from commuting or gas, there's also the promotion of daily physical fitness and positive environmental contribution. :) Although my neighbor no longer goes out everyday now, he still uses his bike when he goes around town.

I live in Toronto, an unceasingly bike friendly city and people from every walk of life ride to work here. With dedicated bike lanes and many hip agencies in the city pricing bike lockups, showers, etc., it's easier than ever to commute. But even without these amenities I have cycled to work for the past 30 years depending on where my office was located. It's healthier and less expensive and saner than driving or public transit. Give it a try! Safety first is the axiom here. Lights, bell and helmet are a must.

Reactions: gracer
Living in Tokyo right now, I would honestly say it's easier cycling in than any other mode of transport. The train is convenient too, but in peak hours it's awfully crowded (I'm talking like sardines in a can pressed up against each other crowded!) so riding is much nicer. Driving anywhere can be a nightmare here too, with traffic and the like - bike routes are just a bunch easier in so many aspects.

Plus at the end of the work day, I find that riding home allows me to decompress. My office is a rather stressful environment and it helps a lot just being able to burn off some of the stress by cycling!

How I wish my city is the same as yours @Lostfreight. There's nothing more convenient than going to and from work using a bike. If only our city would support cycling as much as yours does, then a lot of people would be saving a lot economically and health wise. :)

@amelia88 I can totally relate with the feeling of relieving yourself from all the stress and hassles from a day's work by just feeling the air and the environment while cycling home from work. It's such a renewing experience when you ride a bike home after a tiring day at work. :)

I've also cycled to work on and off for a number of years now, and while I do enjoy it, here in the UK sometimes the weather can play a big part on if you cycle or just jump in the car. While cycling to work in the morning can mean that you are arriving at work in a more mentally alert state, at the same time if you're soaking wet then it can make the rest of your day unbearable having to sit in the office with wet clothes on!

I cycle to work sometimes and I love it. I think that when we can do that it's all about life quality, well, also saving time and money. :)

Strangely enough, I cycled to my old business premises today. It was a weird feeling, because I'd always use my car because it just wouldn't look professional pitching up in a bicycle. The clients and employees may not have taken me seriously. But since I sold the business, I no longer have these hang ups. And it was great fun overall, I really do wish I could've cycled to work during the years when I still owned the place.

Have used a bicycle as my sole means of transport and held professional level jobs at the same time. It is doable. Just requires a bit more time and careful scheduling to get to work in time to change and look good.

Yes, there is a disparity I have observed as to the types of people who commute to work on a bicycle. In the big cities, it's either members in good standing of the bike culture, like me, or someone riding a bike for lack of money, lack of a driver's license and so on. Basically a difference of people like me who want to commute on a bicycle because we love biking and people who use a bike because they have no other options.

Last edited:
Have used a bicycle as my sole means of transport and held professional level jobs at the same time. It is doable. Just requires a bit more time and careful scheduling to get to work in time to change and look good.

Yes, there is a disparity I have observed as to the types of people who commute to work on a bicycle. In the big cities, it's either members in good standing of the bike culture, like me, or someone riding a bike for lack of money, lack of a driver's license and so on. Basically a difference of people like me who want to commute on a bicycle because we love biking and people who use a bike because they have no other options.

You are right of course and there will be many different reasons as to why a person would choose to commute to work by bike. For some it might be their only means of transport but for others it might simply be that they enjoy cycling, they want to stay in shape or it might even be that it's just simply quicker especially if you live in a busy city.

What I have found is that for people that aren't into cycling, they can't understand why a person like myself who as a car licence as well as a motorbike licence would actually CHOOSE to cycle into work but I've given up on trying to explain my reasons as if you're not into cycling then you won't understand no matter how hard I try to explain my reasons.

Strangely enough, I cycled to my old business premises today. It was a weird feeling, because I'd always use my car because it just wouldn't look professional pitching up in a bicycle. The clients and employees may not have taken me seriously. But since I sold the business, I no longer have these hang ups. And it was great fun overall, I really do wish I could've cycled to work during the years when I still owned the place.

I guess it's both a weird and fulfilling feeling you felt today but anyway, congratulations for a successful business meeting. :) I also did feel that way at times before, people not taking me seriously because I'm riding a bike to meet them on a business meeting. But interestingly enough, it actually becomes the main topic of our conversations and they become more interested because of how amazed they are at the energy and health benefits cycling gives me.

Reactions: Damien Lee
Yep, at my school I was known by the cyclist lol, but I took it as a compliment and I saved money on transportation. :)

As we're talking about cycling to work, here in the UK I live near the training ground of a major football team, and mid-morning as all the players are turning up in their Ferraris and Porches, the manager used to turn up on his pushbike. Now I'd imagine that the manager of a premier league football team wouldn't be short of money so the only reason he would be cycling is because he simply enjoys it.

Even though I love cycling, if I had a brand new Ferrari in the drive-way, I think I'd probably be using that to get around most of the time to be honest, haha!

As we're talking about cycling to work, here in the UK I live near the training ground of a major football team, and mid-morning as all the players are turning up in their Ferraris and Porches, the manager used to turn up on his pushbike. Now I'd imagine that the manager of a premier league football team wouldn't be short of money so the only reason he would be cycling is because he simply enjoys it.

Even though I love cycling, if I had a brand new Ferrari in the drive-way, I think I'd probably be using that to get around most of the time to be honest, haha!

Lol! It's really an amazing and humbling sight to see someone with a high position or someone who you look up to, ride a bike going to work or somewhere he/she goes to. I get to respect them more for their humility and I idolize them all the more. They make people who look up to them feel how down to earth they are and that's what makes them even more looked up to. :)

I have a neighbor who has been using a bike for his work as a massage therapist. For as long as I can remember, he has been cycling going to his clients everyday, even at night. I can say he's the expert in my neighborhood when it comes to road cycling since he has been riding across town for so many years now. Despite his age of more than 50, he can still pretty much cycle across town the way a 20 year old does.

There is a time I used to ride a bike from work. You'd ask how did the bike get there in the first place? Well, I had a friend who worked two jobs. He'd ride to work early for his first job and leave his bike there and since he wouldn't come back for his it, and I always wanted some exercise, I'd cycle home in the evening. Repeat the same thing next day.

Its very good to use bike for work because mostly we are don't use bikes in our works we prefer these only for a ride or exercise purpose. So its really good to use a bike in our routine life.