Cycling - too dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Richard Keatinge <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> The overall death rate among cyclists is 40% lower than among non-cyclists.
>>>
>>
>> I thought the death rate in both groups was 100%
>>
> Perhaps Richard knows something we don't?

He is a Dr

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

W K wrote:

>> fast. Conversely, I can easily completely forget what planet I'm on when I'm pedalling softly.

Doesn't your mind ever wander?

>> So I think you might have it the wrong way round.
>
> Oh no, the Paul Smith "ritalin" argument !!!

Difference is: cars going fast kill people. A cyclists just pedalling hard enough to get the
adrenaline pumping is hardly a menace to society.

~PB

In article <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> writes
>> Of course we know those strapped to caravans are just for decoration and, perhaps, going to get
>> the milk and papers in the morning.
>>
>I saw some that were being used as decoration for the nice tarmac on the M40 in the summer.
>
>What's worse, someone was waiting on the hard shoulder trying to run out and fetch them. I hope
>they didn't get run over.
>
>Anyway, it nicely supported my prejudice towards roofracks for bikes, if they can't be fitted
>inside the motor. And it tested my reaction to emergencies without anyone running into the
>back of me.
>
I'm contemplating one of those hydraulic jobbies that lift the bike onto the roof for the benefit of
older chaps like me. Anyone had any experience of them?
--
The Big Baguette

>>Richard Keatinge <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> > The overall death rate among cyclists is 40% lower than among
>>> non-cyclists.
>>>
>>
>>I thought the death rate in both groups was 100%
>>
>Perhaps Richard knows something we don't?
>--
>The Big Baguette
>

I want to be one of those who are immortal!

Cheers, helen s ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

Scribe2b wrote:
> more and more riders are just getting off the roads

"ride dirt" doesn't get me to and from work.

Colin

"Scribe2b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Yes -- and its great fun. But cycling on the road is also good. Why the hell should we just meekly
give up the roads when we have a perfect right to use them. Don't be intimidated by cowboys in cars.

T

Scribe2b wrote:

And every one that does makes it more dangerous for the few who are left[1]. Do your duty to the
Brotherhood and get out there :)

[1] Injuries vary with the 0.6 power of number of cyclists on the road. Apparently.

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

[email protected] (Scribe2b) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

Seems likely to me that off-road riding is as dangerous, if not more so, than riding on road. I'm
sure there are many more minor injuries per mile (or hour, or trip, or however you want to measure
it) of off-road riding, but it may be different for KSI (and especially the K part).

James

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>
> I want to be one of those who are immortal!
>
> Cheers, helen s ;-)
>

My dreams are shattered. I've always believed fairies were immortal, even paving slab ones.

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
>Scribe2b wrote:
>>more and more riders are just getting off the roads
>"ride dirt" doesn't get me to and from work.

And doing it as a safety move seems rather ****-backwards - not to mention, how are they meant to
get _to_ the dirt? Not in a cage, I hope...
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

[email protected] (James Annan) wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Seems likely to me that off-road riding is as dangerous, if not more so, than riding on road. I'm
> sure there are many more minor injuries per mile (or hour, or trip, or however you want to measure
> it) of off-road riding, but it may be different for KSI (and especially the K part).

Anecdotal evidence obviously. I have friends who mountain bike. They are always injuring themselves.
Knee problems, a broken finger, a septic leg from a nasty scrape. These all spring to mind without
much effort. They fall off several times per outing as far as I can tell.

I, on the other hand, have been cycling to and from work for nearly 3 years on the road. Fallen off
once, shunted by a car once. No injuries.

Toby

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:07:24 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? did issue forth:

> And every one that does makes it more dangerous for the few who are left[1]. Do your duty to the
> Brotherhood and get out there :)

Did any other mountain bikers think that Guy was talking about owning a certain brand of forks for a
moment? ;-)

--
Huw Pritchard | Replace bounce with huw | to reply by mail | www.secretworldgovernment.org

Adrian Boliston <[email protected]> said:

> Probably safer too, at least there are usually not big gullies to trap your wheel & throw you over
> the handlebars!

Your local council are blessed with an excellent Highways department then :)

I wish Durham were as good.

Regards,

-david

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Ayv*[email protected]...
>
> And doing it as a safety move seems rather ****-backwards - not to mention, how are they meant to
> get _to_ the dirt? Not in a cage, I hope...

Well I've always had my suspicions that a large proportion of the mobile greenhouses one see on the
motorways with bikes hanging on the back only have them there to increase the wind resistance -- but
i like to think that at least a small proportion of them do uses them.

Of course we know those strapped to caravans are just for decoration and, perhaps, going to get the
milk and papers in the morning.

T

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:Ayv*[email protected]...
> >
> > And doing it as a safety move seems rather ****-backwards - not to mention, how are they meant
> > to get _to_ the dirt? Not in a cage, I hope...
>
> Well I've always had my suspicions that a large proportion of the mobile greenhouses one see on
> the motorways with bikes hanging on the back only have them there to increase the wind resistance
> -- but i like to think
that
> at least a small proportion of them do uses them.
>
> Of course we know those strapped to caravans are just for decoration and, perhaps, going to get
> the milk and papers in the morning.
>
I saw some that were being used as decoration for the nice tarmac on the M40 in the summer.

What's worse, someone was waiting on the hard shoulder trying to run out and fetch them. I hope they
didn't get run over.

Anyway, it nicely supported my prejudice towards roofracks for bikes, if they can't be fitted inside
the motor. And it tested my reaction to emergencies without anyone running into the back of me.

A

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

> Anyway, it nicely supported my prejudice towards roofracks for bikes, if they can't be fitted
> inside the motor. And it tested my reaction to emergencies without anyone running into the
> back of me.

Although I'm no fan of Clarkson (Jezza) I did like him pointing out on one of his progs that it is
cheaper (in petrol tokens) to send a bike from London to Edinburgh by courier than to carry it on
the roofrack due to increased wind resistance. Of course what didn't probably even enter his mind
was the idea of using the train to get his lazy **** up there too.

Colin

"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Although I'm no fan of Clarkson (Jezza) I did like him pointing out on one of his progs that it is
> cheaper (in petrol tokens) to send a bike from London to Edinburgh by courier than to carry it on
> the roofrack due to increased wind resistance. Of course what didn't probably even enter his mind
> was the idea of using the train to get his lazy **** up there
too.

Sadly, using the train would probably cost a vast number of coupons more than driving, would be
crowded and late. Getting your bike on the train just adds to the cost and the nightmare.

I say that as a fan of train travel -- I use trains a lot -- just not in the UK were our system is
worse than most of the 3rd world's.

The coach is nearly as fast, much cheaper but, generally, they don't like bikes.

T

"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>
> > Anyway, it nicely supported my prejudice towards roofracks for bikes, if they can't be fitted
> > inside the motor. And it tested my reaction to emergencies without anyone running into the back
> > of me.
>
> Although I'm no fan of Clarkson (Jezza) I did like him pointing out on one of his progs that it is
> cheaper (in petrol tokens) to send a bike from London to Edinburgh by courier than to carry it on
> the roofrack due to increased wind resistance. Of course what didn't probably even enter his mind
> was the idea of using the train to get his lazy **** up there
too.
>

Yes, but it's less wind resistance than having it sticking out of either side at the back, or
peeping above the roof level on a high-mount rear rack. Rear racks are no more efficient than roof
racks, and a whole lot more dangerous.

And of course, it would add more to the price of travelling from London-Glasgow than
London-Edinburgh since about a third of the London-Edinburgh route is on single carriageway, and
thus slower. Of course, it would be cheaper still to drive more slowly from London to Edinburgh, and
going 50mph rather than 70 would take 2 and a bit hours longer: Equivalent in time to the hassle of
arranging the courier's pick-up and drop off.

Mind you, given the choice I'd take the train: which goes at an average of up to 98mph, so it's much
quicker, but maybe a bit pricier.

Ambrose

Status
Not open for further replies.