Cycling tours in France/Italy

Walrus

New Member
Apr 4, 2004
I'm planning a trip to Europe next year and will have the opportunity to do a short cycling tour while I'm there. I am looking for a 3-4 day trip with full support and guides etc. I haven't decided on France or Italy yet, but the harder the better...Tourmalet, Galibier, Finestre etc.

I like the tours offer by www.gpm10.com and www.pyractif.com but can anyone suggest any other quality tour operators? I've googled it, but there is a lot of **** out there. Better yet, if someone has done this themselves and has some advice...I'd appreciate it.

Walrus said:
I'm planning a trip to Europe next year and will have the opportunity to do a short cycling tour while I'm there. I am looking for a 3-4 day trip with full support and guides etc. I haven't decided on France or Italy yet, but the harder the better...Tourmalet, Galibier, Finestre etc.

I like the tours offer by www.gpm10.com and www.pyractif.com but can anyone suggest any other quality tour operators? I've googled it, but there is a lot of **** out there. Better yet, if someone has done this themselves and has some advice...I'd appreciate it.

Bikesoiler was over there a couple years back, think he travelled via Mikes Bikes in Paris. I'll get him to have a look at this thread. :)

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm planning a trip to Europe next year and will have the opportunity to
> do a short cycling tour while I'm there. I am looking for a 3-4 day
> trip with full support and guides etc. I haven't decided on France or
> Italy yet, but the harder the better...Tourmalet, Galibier, Finestre
> etc.
>
> I like the tours offer by 'www.gpm10.com' (http://www.gpm10.com) and
> 'www.pyractif.com' (http://www.pyractif.com) but can anyone suggest any
> other quality tour operators? I've googled it, but there is a lot of
> **** out there. Better yet, if someone has done this themselves and
> has some advice...I'd appreciate it.
>

> --
> Walrus

Practice Bicycle: http://tinyurl.com/s3y97

I haven't done one of their tours, but I know the operators, nice people.

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm planning a trip to Europe next year and will have the opportunity to
> do a short cycling tour while I'm there. I am looking for a 3-4 day
> trip with full support and guides etc. I haven't decided on France or
> Italy yet, but the harder the better...Tourmalet, Galibier, Finestre
> etc.
>
> I like the tours offer by 'www.gpm10.com' (http://www.gpm10.com) and
> 'www.pyractif.com' (http://www.pyractif.com) but can anyone suggest any
> other quality tour operators? I've googled it, but there is a lot of
> **** out there. Better yet, if someone has done this themselves and
> has some advice...I'd appreciate it.
>

> --
> Walrus

Gday,
I did the coast to coast tour with pyractif last september.
Rode 720kms in 6 days, from biarritz in the east to argeles in the west.
Col's included Marie Blanque, Aubisque, Tourmalet (all on day two!) col de
marmare, col de jour and a few others i've forgotten the name of..
Marie Blanque was not enjoyable, well for me..it starts as about 4kms of low
grades, 4's and 5% then the last 5 kms is nothing less than 11%, with some
14+ % sections..
Aubiqsue was very cool, hard climb but great scenery. Tourmalet is nice up
the top as well, though the day i was there it was misty, about 4 degrees
and had started raining by the time i got to the top..

col de peyresourde is out near pyractif's house as well, apparently its a
tough climb but not very scenic..It's not one i rode, but the guys are happy
for you to go off by yourself and do more hills, he seemed happy to help out
anyone who wanted to do that..

Steve and Brenda were nice folks, Steve knew the route better than brenda,
they carry all the extra food etc in the van and then charge you some amount
at the end of the tour. The maps they gave out were okayish, some small
towns were a bit confusing but they'd mostly wait around for you if you are
slow like me:)

The places we stayed in were ok, the only bad one was a cabin at tarascon,
which had a hot water system holding about 20lt and kinda **** fascilities.
The rest had good food (and heaps of it) and were friendly etc..

If you want some more info / pics etc, shoot me an email to dejonica at
hotmail dot com