Cycling trainers (coaches)

Frihed89

Dec 17, 2003
I am interested, that there is not more discussion about the trainers (you call them coaches) of the major professional road racing teams on this board.

Are they that important? Why?

Who is the best one today? Why?

And finally because where i am from, how would you rate Bjarne Riis as a trainer?

And don't forget....CSC has more surprisses in store for this new year!

For a pro, or a rider who wants to achieve their best potential, then a coach is a good thing, and almost necessary.

Even if the person has been riding for years, and has a successful regimen, they can still benefit from a trainer for specific areas. The biggest issue is cost ......... a good trainer costs money.

Chris Carmichael is the best know because of his work with Cyclops trainers (indoor bike trainer company) and of course with Lance Armstrong.

And Riis was a good rider, but I have no idea how he would be as a trainer ....... probably pretty decent based on his successes.

Ask Tyler Hamilton. Riis saw something in him he liked, not just Hamilton's ability, but the same deep fire that burns quietly inside Bjarne. I think Riis picked Jullich for this reason as well, and I fully expect Jullich to surprise everyone in the Tour de France.