Cycling Training and Limiting Factors

Sam Kennedy

Feb 9, 2012
I'm trying to get a better understanding of cycling training, and I wanted to make sure I understand some thing properly.

My plan is following a base -> build pattern (no peak, I will be time trialling throughout the year).

The way I see training is that you do one type of training until something else is limiting your performance, so for now it is a lot of aerobic and tempo rides for the next 9 weeks, I will increase the duration steadily. I'm guessing I will reach a point where there will be diminishing returns from that type of training, and increasing volume even more isn't realistic?

Then it will be time to start increasing the intensity of the shorter rides so they are close to threshold (about 10 bpm below), while keeping the longer aerobic rides on the weekend. When the training benefit starts to decrease, then I will move on to anaerobic endurance intervals (around 5 - 8 minutes) and vo2max intervals (around 30 seconds - 3 minutes).

Does that sound like an effective way of increasing training load? I was also thinking that on weekends when I don't have a race, I will just do a solo race effort of around 6 hours max (providing I'm not risking overtraining)?

I haven't put a time frame on most of the training, because I have no idea how quickly my body will adapt to the types of training, I will be paying close attention to how my body feels, and which types of training provide the greatest benefit.

Does this sound like a plan, or have I overlooked anything?

It sounds like you have a handle on basic training principles. The short intervals are good but I would hold off on any structured work until you have a particular event in mind. They're mentally exhausting and most riders have a hard time with a block of anything longer than 2 months. Even though they substantially boost fitness for any event, if you are focusing on time trialing maybe stick to the longer intervals (i.e. 15+ minutes). Those can be done year round and effectively work on raising FTP, the bread and butter of most competitive cyclists. But looking at my files on any of the longer rides, there will be substantial Z2/Z3 work, but some good time at VO2 max. Could be 15-20 minutes over 90%maxHR sprinkled about on a 50 mile ride. But being unstructured, I somehow never dread it, it's just part of "playing" on the bike (provided of course I have some basic fitness).

Also unless you are training for races of 150 miles, you may wanna ease up from race pace to something slightly tamer, tempo perhaps, for your 6 hour rides. Even tempo for a 6 hour ride is elite level riding.

Hey Sam, I heard for the first time about cycling training.I would like to know more about this and what all clubs provide training .Thanks

10bpm difference near threshold is a fair amount...

It's been years since I've relied on HRM for "effort perception" but I used to do 10 mile TT's at ~190 to 195bpm, 25mile TT at ~190 (or 185 if early AM) and 50mile TT at ~185.

21 or 22 minutes or 1hr 55ish... that's the difference in duration that 10bpm got me when fully motivated.

I would include some VO2 work in any block other than end of season/start of winter lollygagging/farting around in 42x17 smelling the roses training. It's good for the legs, the head and lots of other good stuff that's very important for going quick. You don't have to do massive amounts of it like you might do in a structured "peak" phase but doing some is something I'd highly recommend.

Andy Coggans chart precis it all much better that I could... (see table 2)

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-training-levels,-by-andrew-coggan.aspx

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Andy Coggans chart precis it all much better that I could... (see table 2)

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-training-levels,-by-andrew-coggan.aspx
This is a great reference, haven't looked at it in awhile. Was checking out the HR column and saw VO2 intensity at over 100% and was like WTF!? How do I go over my max lol! Then realized it's 'average' HR from a field test. In all, a somewhat better use of HR than as a % of Max, if using HR to determine intensity. My RPE for the VO2 work is closer to 7 or 8, prolly because I like running them at the min duartion of 3 mins to cover 2 bases (i.e. VO2 and lactate tolerance work). One of these days if I ever get serious I'll brake em down further.