Cycling training online guide required

Liveo

Feb 9, 2005
Hello,

Does anyone know of a good site that can give me a full training guide. I am planning to do a 1000 mile trip over 10 days around 6 months from now.

Thanks

Can't help you with an online guide, but how much training time per day are you going to have for the next 6 months to get reading for your ride?

I would think you would need to do at least 50 miles everyday during the week and then do some 100 mile plus rides on the weekends...

Good luck

Liveo said:
Hello,

Does anyone know of a good site that can give me a full training guide. I am planning to do a 1000 mile trip over 10 days around 6 months from now.

Thanks

I don't know your training history. But some one I know did a similar thing and his knees let him down two weeks into his trip.

So the advice is start slow. one hour rides, then slowly build to two, three and four hour rides, then long rides on consecutive days. Do hill work once a week. It's not speed that you need but the ability for your body to be able to tolerate the constant work load.

Liveo said:
Hello,

Thanks
Agree the health and endurance issues are critical for multi-day rides.

Suggest you buy the book "Long Distance Cycling" by Pavelka and Burke. It covers all the basics of training pretty well. If you're going to spend a lot of time and effort on a big trip like this, the book is well worth the money.